RMJ Shrike S13

Hey guys,

Have recently gotten into tomahawks after discovering how multipurpose of a tool an axe is when it comes to bushcraft. I know that probably sounds silly, but throughout my many years of roughing it, I've only ever carried larger knives in the bush. Oh, and they're super easy to throw and I sincerely enjoy throwing.

Just purchased a RMJ Shrike S13. Cut myself three times within the first 20 minutes of handling it as its quite literally razor sharp. Sharper than most every large knife I've ever received and sharper than some thinly ground folders I've laid hands on as well. I shaved my arm with this axe. Wow.

At any rate, I have a few questions -

Can this be effectively thrown?

Can you guys give me some carry ideas? I have it set up with the low ride straps. I think this may work but IDK how I'll feel after 5 miles of it flapping around in the woods. Was thinking of attaching it to a sling for over the shoulder carry but wanted to see if anyone here had already set theirs up for this method of carry so that I can use their set up as a template.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
When I go on day hikes where I’m typically only carrying a satchel, I have carried my full size Shrike with its sling pulled high/tight under my strong side armpit. Sometimes I’ll loosen it a tad and tuck the bottom of the haft behind the strap on my satchel.

4F9443E6-42A9-4406-B0CD-8325FE19F04D.jpeg

Pardon the ass shot, but it’s the only pic I have showing what I mean.

Good choice in hawk, man. If you’re gonna use it strictly for woods use, I’d consider lowering the edge angle a bit. Just a suggestion.

I had a Shrike for a while, the standard 15 inch version- very nice hawk.
I’ve since moved onto the Jenny Wren but I carry it the same way as I did the Shrike, slung under my left armpit. Being right handed carrying it this way makes for an easy draw from the kydex sheath.
The full size Shrike was just a bit long to be comfortable for a long walk and was hanging just far enough to get pushed up when I sat down but your S13 version should be fine, depending on how tall you are of course- it’s only 1.5 inches longer than the JW which just disappears when I carry it this way.

They’re a lot of fun in the woods and make quick work of field dressing white tail. I don’t see myself going into the woods without one anytime soon.

A member here that I know used to throw the Shrike that I sold him a LOT, never had a problem with it. Just remember to remove the stone from the handle fist or the stone will crack. Probably not an issue for the newer rod that I’ve seen them use.

Congrats on the new hawk, have fun

On the use of these types of hawks in the woods, does the spike serve a purpose out in the woods? Does it get in the way at all? The only use I could think of, having never owned a hawk with a spike and thus the questions, is for hanging the hawk in something when not in use or for using like a hookaroon. And using it as a hookaroon would be a nice back saver but a beard on a bearded hawk can be used similarly.

Maybe a simpler question, what do you use the spikes for?

Reactions: A17
It looks like that spike works like a charm and it also saves the edge on the blade itself. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

It looks like that spike works like a charm and it also saves the edge on the blade itself. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
Ditto, I would not have thought to use it as such but the exact same thing watching the vid.

Spike is also handy to hook onto trees and such as a climbing aid. Great to roll or drag logs as well.

I've been thinking about the Kestrel or the kestrel feather. The feather is 1/4" thick and the regular kestrel is 3/8"s and I'm having a hard time deciding between them. I'm thinking the regular kestrel because the Talon and Shrike Rmj tomahawks seem to all be 3/8's as well or close to being so.

I know it weighs a little more than the feather but I would assume it would be a little tougher. I'd probably be using it for just woods stuff maybe a little throwing as well. Sorry Op to clutter up your thread just thought it was similar to your questions as well. Thanks,

I don't know. But apparently cops don't like them. I hear they penetrate body armor.
Rumor has it that when Bill Moran developed his big ST 24 fighter back in the 80's, he tested out the point on a then current Second Chance vest and it went right through. Nothing new.

Rumor has it that when Bill Moran developed his big ST 24 fighter back in the 80's, he tested out the point on a then current Second Chance vest and it went right through. Nothing new.
Yep sharp pointy objects seem to penetrate other objects quite well at times. Like an ice pick as I remember in the day that some folks carried.

Reactions: A17
Back