• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Good Robert Erickson is a fantastic maker

I have never had a custom anything made for me. I've had stuff tailored and modified to suit my tasted but nothing from the ground up. I followed the custom kitchen knife for sale forum for quite a while always eyeing the custom pieces made there and sold. I have nice kitchen knives but I wanted something that felt magical to use.
I cook almost every single meal for my family. That's saying A LOT during this pandemic. My current set is a combination of Henkel and Tojiro. My Gyuto is a Tojiro and my most often used knife. It's 3 layer clad VG-10 It's super thin and slicey but fragile. I'm sharpening out chips all the time. I asked my wife not to use the VG-10 knives as she tends to be rough on them, enter the Henkels. They are TOUGH knives. The edge retention is meh, but they are stupid easy to sharpen and get really sharp.
I have come to a point in time in my life where I wanted a better chef knife. All the ones I have or had had issues I didn't like. It could be edge geometry, shape or edge retention, I discussed it with my wife and made it clear to the family (very politely) this was not to be used by anyone else. There is a full set of everything else for them to use.

After many knives passed through I reached out to Robert Erickson Robert Erickson as his style really caught my eye. He was awesome in helping me decide what style of chef knife i wanted based on how I like to cut and Made me think about what other knives I have and how they are used. I picked a steel I love and think is suited to my gear in the kitchen. I chose 20CV, as it and it's family, seems to be a perfect stainless for my kitchen. I can't do carbon, there is just too strong of a risk that it gets wet and not treated properly and eventually gets ruined.

After seeing some of Robert's hybrid handles and his craftsmanship I decided I wanted to reach out to him and see what he had to say. He, as I said, walked me through the different types he made. I read up on each style and though about what I have in the block. I decided on french chef in 20CV with a hybrid burl handle. It's exactly what I hoped for. Literally, I have been cutting onions and other veggies better because of the style change and shape benefits. He was awesome to work with, he sought out the materials for my piece, and didn't collect ANY MONEY until after I gave the final sign off. I have read enough custom horror stories to know that bad things can happen if you are asked to pay up from. There was a projected 6 week wait, but it was done quicker than that. I can't recall exactly but it went quick. Now the p0rn:
C1DDD48E-D454-43A9-A8A3-A96992276814_1_201_a.jpeg E60C8698-5F70-40FD-858B-A1C25AF2EC0D_1_201_a.jpeg 115BB37A-2869-4714-A971-6E54EDC8B278_1_201_a.jpeg A03234AA-6B14-4DDC-9E1E-0BB93F32A0AF_1_201_a.jpeg D6096666-E4B8-4E5D-8299-8B7204E0DA84_1_201_a.jpeg 6F8E7532-CF6F-440F-927F-069E192D65F4_1_201_a.jpeg 5F803A48-1975-48BA-A2AC-7159895A9E3A_1_201_a.jpeg Hi BF,

Not quite as nice as yours but an efficient member of our kitchen, scratches are from my Edge pro but easy to maintain and one of my wife's favorites.
F6Hg7fN.jpg

Congrats on your new knife. I have followed Robert's work for awhile and purchased a kitchen knife with a hybrid handle much like yours and really liked it.
20200912_111349.jpg

So I recently contacted him for a small fixed blade and Robert was great to work with to get every detail just right and I received that knife just a few days ago. It's exactly what I wanted. I can highly recommend Robert.
4D9D89EE-B81A-42EE-A6C8-C7A3307E3EBD_1_201_a_resized_1.jpeg

Wow that is nice. Eventually I'm going to have him make me a boning/filet knife in aeb-l. I keep handling it for no reason in the kitchen.

Thanks for the feedback Joe, I really appreciate it!
Congrats on your new knife. I have followed Robert's work for awhile and purchased a kitchen knife with a hybrid handle much like yours and really liked it.
View attachment 1417502

So I recently contacted him for a small fixed blade and Robert was great to work with to get every detail just right and I received that knife just a few days ago. It's exactly what I wanted. I can highly recommend Robert.
View attachment 1417503

I'm glad it's just what you wanted!

Not quite as nice as yours but an efficient member of our kitchen, scratches are from my Edge pro but easy to maintain and one of my wife's favorites.

Good to see yours is still in action!

+1. Also worth noting is that Robert's not afraid of working with the latest and greatest steels. I have a bit of an addiction to supersteels, and anytime I see anything new hit AKS, he's always up for giving it a try :)

He's actually working on a piece in M398 for me, right now...

+1. Also worth noting is that Robert's not afraid of working with the latest and greatest steels. I have a bit of an addiction to supersteels, and anytime I see anything new hit AKS, he's always up for giving it a try :)

He's actually working on a piece in M398 for me, right now...
How much coaxing did it take to get him to try M398?:eek:

How much coaxing did it take to get him to try M398?:eek:
LOL literally none at all :). I think Robert's a steel nerd at heart, too, and wants to work with the crazy high-60s HRC supersteels.

Just don't ask him for a hand satin finish on them! I think he quoted me a $1M+ surcharge for a hand satin finish on a K390 piece ;)

m
LOL literally none at all :). I think Robert's a steel nerd at heart, too, and wants to work with the crazy high-60s HRC supersteels.

Just don't ask him for a hand satin finish on them! I think he quoted me a $1M+ surcharge for a hand satin finish on a K390 piece ;)
Eh, it's a kitchen knife, it's gonna lose the finish anyway LOL. Just bust out a non poisonous polish and get to it!

F6Hg7fN.jpg
I love that cutting board. The purple heartwood really sets off the other colors well!

I am a big fan of Robert's work. I only have two blades of his with another in the works. He is amazing to work with - communicative, thorough, and immeasurably pleasant.

He makes a fine knife and I particularly love how thin he gets his blades behind the edge - a trait that gets missed frequently in a lot of fixed blades.

KSSlruU.jpg

PNcmIa3.jpg

My experience ordering & getting a custom kitchen knife from Robert was also seamless and very pleasant. Exemplary craftsmanship & textbook customer service. A great transaction all the way!

I ordered a slightly longer version of a knife he had posted to the BF kitchen forum, albeit dressed down for more purely utilitarian aesthetics. Emails from Robert were always quick & concise. We settled on the specs for the knife and seems like only a few weeks later I got the email pictures of the finished knife for final sign off. Shipping was timely & knife was extremely well packaged.

As others noted, his blades are thin behind the edge. So this thing is a laser for kitchen chores and I'm a super happy camper.

That is one fine looking knife, just amazing. I use similar scales from an etsy scale maker.

I’m a huge fan of Robert as well. Very professional to work with, his craftsmanship is top notch, and like others mentioned he will work with all the fun super steels. I just received my fourth Erickson, and I’m already considering another lol.
Here’s the run down.
10” K tip gyuto, redwood Burl, AEB-L steel
4” paring knife, buckeye Burl, m390 steel
4.25” sheep’s foot, wild almond Burl, Vanadis 4e steel.
2.5” oyster shucking knife, Honduran rose wood, AEB-L steel.
iHhXT3R.jpg

EizCKL4.jpg

Back