Robust folder suggestions?

XtianAus

Gold Member
As the title suggests, looking for a "hard use" folder. I understand that overbuilt knives will hinder cutting performance but that's okay. I have other knives that are excellent cutters. I just keep blunting, rolling, snapping or breaking tips and so need something that I wont have to worry about if/when I need to use it hard.

I have looked at a few ZTs with thick stocks but based on photos, they seem to thin out to much towards the tip area - But my perception could be wrong.

I probably do use knives beyond what they are intended for - cutting, but I see them as tools and need a knife that can take abuse when needed, especially something with a robust and thick tip region.

Price would be up to about $400 or so. Prefer to keep it less than that if possible so it is easier to bring myself to use it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As the title suggests, looking for a "hard use" folder. I understand that overbuilt knives will hinder cutting performance but that's okay. I have other knives that are excellent cutters. I just keep blunting, rolling, snapping or breaking tips and so need something that I wont have to worry about if/when I need to use it hard.

I have looked at a few ZTs with thick stocks but based on photos, they seem to thin out to much towards the tip area - But my perception could be wrong.

I probably do use knives beyond what they are intended for - cutting, but I see them as tools and need a knife that can take abuse when needed, especially something with a robust and thick tip region.

Price would be up to about $400 or so. Prefer to keep it less than that if possible so it is easier to bring myself to use it.

Thanks!

I use my knives in my construction job and some of them get pretty nasty work. I carry two knives, a smaller folder and a "utility" knife that does anything required of it, including scraping, light prying, heavy cutting of wood, cardboard cutting, etc. I have broken a tip only once on a "work" knife in over 40 years, and have to say it was because I overstressed the knife trying to dig out a nail head in a 2X4. Regardless of how stout the knife is, I try to only use it for cutting.

I like my ZT 0909, and it works just fine on site. I have several others in rotation, but they are all have a point on the blade that might be too thin for you.

This would be my suggestion. TRY, just TRY (LOL!) to break the tip on this bad boy. I have one of the models of this knife and it is practically indestructible.

https://goo.gl/m1jaVD

The point of the blade actually looks so blunt it might not be useful, but that isn't the case. It surely isn't stabby, but it slices pretty well and the belly has proven to be a nice long slicing edge. Comes in different colors and scale choices, too. The 3d aluminum scales are comfy, and the price in aluminum (you can get it in all titanium) with their stock steel that roughly approximates a really hard D2 nails your budget requirements, too.

Robert

Last edited:
I have a Benchmade Adamas that seems like it could handle a ton of abuse. Also, Medford uses crazy thick stock for his blades.

I'll second the ZT0562. I think ZT will replace a blade for $30, which is a great deal. Might also check out the Emmerson Commander or Emmerson CQC7-A. The Buck Vantage has a stout tip, and is relativity inexpensive to replace.

Thanks!

Emerson Cqc7. I can pry shamelessly with that tip. If you can find it get an Emerson HD7 or maybe a ZT0620/0630 ( lots of other emersons have robust tips)

Or if you are a huge pimp check out the Grayman Satu and Three Sisters Forge Beast.

If you're looking for something thick behind the edge, you can't go wrong with one of the Fatty XM-18s. Those things feel like they can take some abuse. They're thicker than some Medfords.

I have a DPX HEST/F, Benchmade Loco, and a Microtech DOC that have been holding up pretty well too.

If you're looking for something thick behind the edge, you can't go wrong with one of the Fatty XM-18s. Those things feel like they can take some abuse. They're thicker than some Medfords.

I have a DPX HEST/F, Benchmade Loco, and a Microtech DOC that have been holding up pretty well too.

This is just my opinion because I have never owned one but I think the Fatty Hinderers are thick way past the point of diminishing returns. A knife that fat is a fashion statement.

Although apparently some Medfords cut quite well so what do I know.

I can't really say that you're wrong. That thing is thick just for the hell of it. Wanted to mention it since it's the thickest knife I have that's reasonable to edc. The normal XMs are already plenty tough so it'll really take something to break the tip off a Fatty. I will say though, my Fatty Spanto was a better slicer out of the box than any of my other Hinderers.

Some may be a touch more than $400
Ghaham, mid-tech Razel
Hoback, UHEP Kwaiback
Emerson, CQC7 /Super CQC7, or CQC15
Hinderer, XM-18
Strider, SMF

I can't really say that you're wrong. That thing is thick just for the hell of it. Wanted to mention it since it's the thickest knife I have that's reasonable to edc. The normal XMs are already plenty tough so it'll really take something to break the tip off a Fatty. I will say though, my Fatty Spanto was a better slicer out of the box than any of my other Hinderers.

I never said those fatty Hinds weren't awesome though.

I'm surprised it is the better slicer. Maybe it is just sharper? I assume the fatty spanto slices worse than the regular spanto if they were equally sharp.

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Some interesting opinions above, I definitely will be checking a few of those designs out.
I was going to bite the bullet on a ZT 0562 earlier but read that a lot of people were having blade play and rock. That would really bother me and is definitely a pet hate.
I am also considering a hinderer Jurassic to at this point.

DPX hest/f

This knife is burly as can be and will take whatever you throw at it.
Ive had mine for a few years now and it can take a beating and keep coming back for more.
I have a handful of other knives mentioned in this thread and my hest/f by far is the most robust of them.

Good luck with your choice.

The Large Batum, by Columbia River Knife & Tool might fit the bill.

nnZAmOp.jpg

The blade is 3/16 thick, which IMO, is a good compromise between "meaty, knuckle-dragger knife", and actual cutting ability.

Also, at $40 street price, you don't have to worry too much about hurting it.

CRKT has problems with their heat-treat process, and sometimes you get one that will not get sharp beyond about 750 grit diamond. If that's not a problem, leave it toothy and call it good.

If you can find one, the CRKT Folding Razel is another idea.

NmgXe6g.jpg

At least you'll have to work harder to break the tip :p

Back