Robust folder suggestions?

Hinderer XM-18 3.5" or XM-24 in any grind, even the slicer grind is more than robust than most, that is a little more than your price range however. What ZT models are you talking about that are thin at the tip btw?

ZT0300 or the more available and less costly ZT0350 - both have blades / pivots that can take some casual prying.

Good working knives, made in USA and won't break the bank.

best

mqqn

As the title suggests, looking for a "hard use" folder. I understand that overbuilt knives will hinder cutting performance but that's okay. I have other knives that are excellent cutters. I just keep blunting, rolling, snapping or breaking tips and so need something that I wont have to worry about if/when I need to use it hard.

I have looked at a few ZTs with thick stocks but based on photos, they seem to thin out to much towards the tip area - But my perception could be wrong.

I probably do use knives beyond what they are intended for - cutting, but I see them as tools and need a knife that can take abuse when needed, especially something with a robust and thick tip region.

Price would be up to about $400 or so. Prefer to keep it less than that if possible so it is easier to bring myself to use it.

Thanks!

No offense to ZT--I own and like them myself--but if you want a "hard use" folder (a concept I kinda' reject, for folding knives, but that's a rabbit trail), you probably don't want ZT and you don't want a frame lock. Like, at all. You want some kind of a super strong back lock. I'd start with something in the Cold Steel line, as somebody already suggested in the thread. Cold Steel Recon is an affordable option. Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter is another, with a strong tip. The SR1 as suggested is a bit more, but even thicker blade stock, and you may want that. The 4Max is a monster, but seriously, if you're gonna get something THAT big, why not just go with a fixed blade.

...if you want a "hard use" folder ... you don't want a frame lock. Like, at all.

OK...I'll bite.

And why is that?

(For the record my "hard use" folder is a lock back Kabar Dozier Large Folding Hunter..if I don't trust it then I go "fixed blade"...though I have gone though drywall with the Kabar.)

^Sigh. No I don't want to play in the lock type and "hard use" folder debate. This vs this vs that vs whatever. Fact is, I like ZT. A lot. Also like frame locks. Just don't believe in "hard use" folders, a bogus marketing concept as the inescapable reality of folders is that they are a half-tang knife. If somebody insists on using them that way regardless, PLEASE protect yourself, do your homework, and find the strongest lock type you can. I happen to think that is a strong back lock based on my usage, but YMMV, and I could certainly be wrong.

My best suggestion--what I would say to a family member or friend: for "hard use" knife tasks, use a quality fixed blade. And for prying types of tasks, etc., if you have other tools available, use the best tool for the job if you can, which is usually not a knife.

^Sigh. No I don't want to play in the lock type and "hard use" folder debate.

C'mon....you "sigh" about it and say you don't want to "play in the lock type and "hard use" folder debate" right after you drop

... if you want a "hard use" folder (a concept I kinda' reject, for folding knives, but that's a rabbit trail), you probably don't want ZT and you don't want a frame lock. Like, at all.

Why drop a claim like that at all, without any justification, if you don't want to discuss it? Sounds like pot stirring at best. :thumbsdown:

^And for prying types of tasks, etc., if you have other tools available, use the best tool for the job if you can, which is usually not a knife.
This is great logical advice. However the fact remains that many people will still do it, and honestly for light prying a knife will do the trick (though perhaps at the reduction of its lifespan).

FWIW, my go to "hard use" folder is a Kizlyar Supreme Ute.
Affordable, robust, a thick liner lock (with a solid lockup), and has a built in pry tool to help save you from chipping the tip, (with a bottle opener for after "hard use" beer or 3).
FGpOWQ8.jpg

usERqKx.jpg

p0e4GCH.jpg

For around $50 you won't have to feel guilty about abusing it.

Last edited:
Check out the Lionsteel SR1 or SR11.
Beast of a folder, good steel, sturdy tip, good ergonomics and very pleasing to the eye (imho).

No offense to ZT--I own and like them myself--but if you want a "hard use" folder (a concept I kinda' reject, for folding knives, but that's a rabbit trail), you probably don't want ZT and you don't want a frame lock. Like, at all.

This is great logical advice. However the fact remains that many people will still do it, and honestly for light prying a knife will do the trick (though perhaps at the reduction of its lifespan).

Yep. I have to confess to occasional 'light prying' as well. Usually when I'm too lazy to go find the right tool, such as my paint can opener. HORRORS! :p

Hinderer xm-18 with spanto or bowie, ZT 0560/0561 and 0200 (hese are the ones that I have), especially if you want a super strong blade tip.

I won't choose most Spydercos as their tips are delicate. Benchmade Adamas looks tough enough too. Cold Steel folders, while with a strong lock, do not necessarily have an as strong tip as those mentioned above (e.g., CS Recon 1 vs. ZT 0561).

Hinderer xm-18 with spanto or bowie, ZT 0560/0561 and 0200 (hese are the ones that I have), especially if you want a super strong blade tip.

I won't choose most Spydercos as their tips are delicate. Benchmade Adamas looks tough enough too. Cold Steel folders, while with a strong lock, do not necessarily have an as strong tip as those mentioned above (e.g., CS Recon 1 vs. ZT 0561).

CS UH has a strong tip. And I agree with you on the ZT 0561, which I have. But I'll stick with my story on preferring--and recommending--fixed blade for this kind of work. "Can" does not equate with "should."

XM spanto in whatever size you wish will fit the bill perfectly and are fun to boot, given all the customization you can do yourself. Spydie Gayle Bradley 1 is also a great slicier option. Finally, if you really want to beat on it, a Benchmade Adamas is just plain tough, as tough a folder as I have used.

I'll repeat this even though no one wants to hear it or will care.

Earlier this year I had orders to go down range so I was looking at "hard use" folders, everything I liked was expensive so I bought a just under 4" bladed fixed blade for half the money. I've now paired it with a kydex pocket sheath for another $40 so for roughly half the money I have a knife that is just as pocketable and is stouter than any folder.

CS UH has a strong tip. And I agree with you on the ZT 0561, which I have. But I'll stick with my story on preferring--and recommending--fixed blade for this kind of work. "Can" does not equate with "should."

No one will argue about fixed blades vs folders, but the OP is asking for recommendations on folders.

Back