Robust folder suggestions?

No one will argue about fixed blades vs folders, but the OP is asking for recommendations on folders.

Yep, already suggested to the OP some folder recommendations above, while qualifying that it's worth considering that there could be a better tool.

Well I have started to carry and use only First Edge folders. I currently have 3, 2 tanto's and a drop point. For every day carry I use the drop point, assisted opening. One of the other tanto's is assisted also. One is manual and is beyond smooth to open. They use like a lock bar pin to lock open the blade that I believe is a few thousandths over 3/16" diameter of hardened steel. Liners are 440a treated to 54 Rc as I recall. Elmax blade steel Rc 60-61, large ergonomic handles that I do enjoy as I have pretty knarly/crippled up hands from using them in my line of work for 30 yrs or so. They actually make 2 types of tanto points now so one can be used for prying if need be. I have the other two with the thinner point grind and love'em.

Now of the knives I own, 2 are current generation and one is the early or first generation with the g10 cut out. All are flat ground and take a wicked edge that just doesn't go away. I think the pocket clip should be redisgned as the bottom of the clip is pretty long and caught it on the steer wheel of my truck and put a nice dig in it, and its a new truck so I was kind of pissed about that. The g10 is very grippy to ala CS or Emerson. I also think this lock might just rival the TriAd lock for stoutness. Now the kicker is when they first came out they were in the $300 plus range and frankly for that amount of money I'd still carry one of my Hinderer's, or CRK's, or CS UH. But now on a world wide site they are with a best offer just a bit over a 100 bucks and I believe at this price point are a very good deal. Hell for stout folders, using great steel for a folder and the lock system is just great so far. So there ya go, keepem sharp

Just an addendum here they use a flat grind for the folders too which I like but they are not overly thick blades.

Hinderer Fatty?

DSC_0025-X3.jpg

Emerson Commander?

DSC_0002-X3.jpg

ZT 0620?

DSC_0005-X3.jpg

Well I have started to carry and use only First Edge folders. I currently have 3, 2 tanto's and a drop point. For every day carry I use the drop point, assisted opening. One of the other tanto's is assisted also. One is manual and is beyond smooth to open. They use like a lock bar pin to lock open the blade that I believe is a few thousandths over 3/16" diameter of hardened steel. Liners are 440a treated to 54 Rc as I recall. Elmax blade steel Rc 60-61, large ergonomic handles that I do enjoy as I have pretty knarly/crippled up hands from using them in my line of work for 30 yrs or so. They actually make 2 types of tanto points now so one can be used for prying if need be. I have the other two with the thinner point grind and love'em.

Now of the knives I own, 2 are current generation and one is the early or first generation with the g10 cut out. All are flat ground and take a wicked edge that just doesn't go away. I think the pocket clip should be redisgned as the bottom of the clip is pretty long and caught it on the steer wheel of my truck and put a nice dig in it, and its a new truck so I was kind of pissed about that. The g10 is very grippy to ala CS or Emerson. I also think this lock might just rival the TriAd lock for stoutness. Now the kicker is when they first came out they were in the $300 plus range and frankly for that amount of money I'd still carry one of my Hinderer's, or CRK's, or CS UH. But now on a world wide site they are with a best offer just a bit over a 100 bucks and I believe at this price point are a very good deal. Hell for stout folders, using great steel for a folder and the lock system is just great so far. So there ya go, keepem sharp

Just an addendum here they use a flat grind for the folders too which I like but they are not overly thick blades.
I was very interested in these when they first came out because I am a sucker for a new lock but I read a review (which I now can't find) that sad the action wasn't smooth. This is not your experience?

If your tasks necessitate your knife be regarded as a disposable item, I'd look at something like the Ruger (CRKT) 2-Stage Tanto flipper. Whether you opt for the compact with the 3.5" blade or the full-size model at 4.0", both are overbuilt (much like Ruger firearms). Blade stock thickness runs at .16" and .20" respectively. I personally own a plain-edge compact model and can vouch for its good overall quality and workmanship. It is admittedly not the best in terms of flipping behavior, about like the otherwise well-regarded Kershaw Skyline; it's adequate but does require a conscious application of "push button" flipping technique to effect a crisp deployment.

But the undeniable good news is that if you drop or lose one, you won't shed a tear, because assuming a maximum budget of 400 bucks, you can easily afford to stock up on 10 of the compact and 9 of the full size. Given that, you won't even shy away from stooping to use one to scrape hardened chewing gum off a concrete sidewalk. "American tanto" blade tips are good for onerous jobs like that by the way.

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Some interesting opinions above, I definitely will be checking a few of those designs out.
I was going to bite the bullet on a ZT 0562 earlier but read that a lot of people were having blade play and rock. That would really bother me and is definitely a pet hate.
I am also considering a hinderer Jurassic to at this point.
My 0562 is rock solid and takes all I throw at it. Don’t let a issue that would definitely be fixable by ZT stop you! Great knife.

As recommend a xm18 spanto would be good. A zt 0560 and 300. The 300 blade shape helps with your intended use. I think an important thing as well is the type of steel and thickness.

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Some interesting opinions above, I definitely will be checking a few of those designs out.
I was going to bite the bullet on a ZT 0562 earlier but read that a lot of people were having blade play and rock. That would really bother me and is definitely a pet hate.
I am also considering a hinderer Jurassic to at this point.

I will throw in my vote for a Hinderer Jurassic or a Hinderer Fatty. I carry a multiple knives everyday but my Jurassic is always in my pocket and is my go to knife for hard use. Plenty of meat behind the tip, great design for hard cuts, and feels great even in my XXL size hands. I just don't think you can go wrong with one for what all you describe. If budget is a big issue the next knife I would consider is the ZT0456. It is as close to the Jurassic as you can get and just monstrously overbuilt. I have put mine through a lot of abuse and it has barely shown any wear.

No offense to ZT--I own and like them myself--but if you want a "hard use" folder (a concept I kinda' reject, for folding knives, but that's a rabbit trail), you probably don't want ZT and you don't want a frame lock. Like, at all. You want some kind of a super strong back lock. I'd start with something in the Cold Steel line, as somebody already suggested in the thread. Cold Steel Recon is an affordable option. Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter is another, with a strong tip. The SR1 as suggested is a bit more, but even thicker blade stock, and you may want that. The 4Max is a monster, but seriously, if you're gonna get something THAT big, why not just go with a fixed blade.
What this dude said!....

I will throw in my vote for a Hinderer Jurassic or a Hinderer Fatty. I carry a multiple knives everyday but my Jurassic is always in my pocket and is my go to knife for hard use. Plenty of meat behind the tip, great design for hard cuts, and feels great even in my XXL size hands. I just don't think you can go wrong with one for what all you describe. If budget is a big issue the next knife I would consider is the ZT0456. It is as close to the Jurassic as you can get and just monstrously overbuilt. I have put mine through a lot of abuse and it has barely shown any wear.
Thanks Whitty. Jurassic is definitely the one I am considering the most at the moment alongside a half track. The ZT 0456 does look like a little beast too. I may need both at some point >:]

Cold Steel has a number of folders that would do, for a lot less than $400. I really like their new line in CTS-XHP such as Recon 1, American Lawman, etc.

The cold steel Recon 1 is pretty tough. The only thing that sucks about the Recon line is that damn thumb stud gets in the way of sharpening.

I've been using a CRKT M21 with the autolawks for a few years. Great work knife and all around user. The thumb stud is never in the way.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1.
This is my around the house and shop EDC. If you have never heard of Gayle Bradley, he is a cutting contest champ sponsored by the Spyderco folks. Here is a video about the knife. Not too big, and holds an edge. Needless to say, if designed by Gayle Bradley you can be assured it cuts most everything.

If you are not opposed to Spyderco knives and want a real bruiser, the out of production, but still around, K-2 is something to consider.

Last edited:
Back