Recommendation? Robust Nakiri

Hello,

currently I'm searching for a nakiri for about 200$. Im a homecook and would like to have a knife for vegetables. Currently Im owning a gyuto but I have the feeling that I have to expand my knife "collection".

So here is my criteria:
-Wa-handle
-160mm - 180mm blade (Im not sure what I like more, but I read that 180mm is more often prefered)
-Not too fragile because I want to use it on hard vegetables too (sweet potatoes, squash etc.)
- Should be possible to be sharpend by an amateur :) (I do have good stones, but Im currently missing any practise)

I searched a little bit myself and found a few.
- Watanabe Pro Nakiri = A bit over my budget and Im not sure if i want to invest that much. Also I read that the handles are "cheap".
- Masakage Yuki = Not sure if its a good fit for hard vegetables
- Wakui v2 Kurouchi = Seems no where available

Thanks in advance for your help!

Check out the Makers forum. The are some incredibly talented makers there at make knives that are what you are looking for. If there isn’t one available right now, I’m sure they could make one.

The main thing that makes your request difficult is that Nakiris and Usubas are inherently "thin" and therefore "not robust". They are made to very thinly slice vegetables, but not "hard" vegetables. The average Nakiri "can" be damaged with Kabocha. You may want a Nakiri made to your spine thickness specs by a custom maker, or simply use a Western Deba for hard vegetables.

You might want to consider a small cleaver rather than a nakiri. If hard rind winter squash is part of your intended use I would be inclined to point you toward something in the 175mm to 215mm range blade such as the small CCK 1303 or maybe a Suien. The Dao Vua Tall Nakiri is lighter but apparently still quite robust and you wouldn't be out much if you chip it.
Some people use laser gyutos on winter squash but your knife technique and feel for any torquing better be good.

Back