Rock solid work rest...Suggestions??

Hello all,

As the title suggests I'm looking for a work rest that is highly adjustable for both height and angle while at the same time being rock solid. I currently have a DD extreme tilt work rest and while I love the versatility it offers, there is simply too much flex in it. Nothing against Don, he makes a very nice product and his craftsmanship is top notch. But, for my own personal needs a more rigid rest is required.

I'm currently looking at the R.A.T. Arm from Northridge and while it is pricey it does appear to be quite robust. I have considered making my own but lack the tooling to build a rest that can drop below the centerline of all my contact wheels AND be able to tilt at the same time. If any of you folks could offer some help on the matter that would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings,
Joshua

Hey josh, I’m in the process of building one right now. It’s going to be based on the TW-90 style work rest.

Here is a pic of the one that I am copying and adapting for use in my KMG style grinder.

7146015E-BCFC-4EBA-8418-4594F6A136D2.jpeg

qmI2SHn.jpg

Hey josh, I’m in the process of building one right now. It’s going to be based on the TW-90 style work rest.

Here is a pic of the one that I am copying and adapting for use in my KMG style grinder.

View attachment 975579
I like it . For easy/fast adjustment back on 90 degree after working on plate in some other angle you can drill hole like this on picture .First on drill press drill hole in one part then adjust and fix plate on 90 degrees and drill about 2-3mm through that hole in round part .That way you can fast adjust rest plate in 90 degrees. Just put inside piece of round steel with same dimension like hole and tight bolt ....
jtHhevg.jpg

I’d put a little spring detent in there for quick reference back to 90. McMaster sells inserts that are easy to install, or you could make one easily enough.

a 123 block makes it easy to get it 90* to the platen.

You can tilt the platen until it is in line with the axis of each wheel.

Back