Rockstead Knowledge Thread

I am sooooo glad Rocksteads don't visually appeal to me. I mean on paper they contain everything I want in a knife; good steel, amazing tolerances, mirror finishing, ironwood and other classy materials, but something about their looks keep me away.
If they also looked good then I wouldn't ever get any sleep. I'd constantly be up figuring how I'm going to rob the local bank. Saving up for a new Sebenza is hard enough!

But I must say they certainly are growing on me. :eek:

I was the same way. Aesthetically, they never really appealed to me either. The more I read about them, the more curious I became. I had to know. Therefore I went with the Chou and I'm glad I did. Once you have a Rocky in your hands...that's it. I don't have any words to describe it. I'm getting a Higo by next week. I'm that convinced of Rockstead.

Thanks, Folks, for another rare thread focused on Rockstead. The Kou is a grail for me.

My wonderment: The subject of Rockstead's prices comes up in every Rockstead thread. However, the numbers of Shirogorov threads, knives for sale and advertisements might lead one to believe that the Shiro's prices are "normal," no discussion of value necessary.

Why the popularity of the Shiro and the apparently "niche" position of the Rocksteads?

Thanks, Folks, for another rare thread focused on Rockstead. The Kou is a grail for me.

My wonderment: The subject of Rockstead's prices comes up in every Rockstead thread. However, the numbers of Shirogorov threads, knives for sale and advertisements might lead one to believe that the Shiro's prices are "normal," no discussion of value necessary.

Why the popularity of the Shiro and the apparently "niche" position of the Rocksteads?

Why should this become a VS. thread?

I just got my Chi, and I'm freakin' blown away! I needed to catch my breath after witnessing Rocky's tanto grind:eek: Pictures do no justice, this grind is the best I've ever seen!

F63C7697-D192-4B55-923C-A2593C608E2B_zpswpfnjsvb.jpg

Wow! That Chi is awesome. I didn't realize Rockstead made them in a tanto. Very cool. Let us know how you like it after you use it.

I thinks this has to do with the fact that Rocky's have held their price pretty consistently over the years.

Nowadays, it's pretty normal to see knives in the $800-$1,000 price range. However, Rockstead has always been in that range. When they were new, that seemed like so much money so they acquired a certain cachet that still sticks with them to this day.

Honestly, I feel like "one of the cool kids" because they are rare to see discussed in-depth between collectors. I get a fuzzy feeling inside when talking to another Rockstead owner because they "understand". It's almost like the connection that die-hard Sebenzas guys have with each other:)

Man! Such eye candy, all around! Nice photos too. Really like your Hizen, BronxIron, and congratulations on the addition to the family Blues Bender. That tanto grind is incredible. So clean. Definitely give us some updates after using it for awhile...... Okay, how about now?:D Mike

Honestly, I feel like "one of the cool kids" because they are rare to see discussed in-depth between collectors. I get a fuzzy feeling inside when talking to another Rockstead owner because they "understand". It's almost like the connection that die-hard Sebenzas guys have with each other:)

Yeah man. Let's keep this thread going. We've gotten some good responses so far. Keep posting your blades and sharing your love for these incredible knives. This is exciting stuff. Especially when we have the involvement.

Well, I think this will be relevant to this thread.

I took my Higo apart the other day to stuff some tritium in it. Here's the internals:

4C4FE575-D866-4385-B8DF-E522076CA824_zpsvqt643pt.jpg

Notice how the lockbar has a circular cutout. I've never seen this before, and I'm intrigued to know why it's there! I wish Rockstead had their own subforum here:(

Also, the tritium turned out great:thumbup:

8F357F3B-DD6F-4BFF-95D7-97126DB77B02_zpsktx2qkno.jpg

Both. BronxIrons has the secondary convex bevel (Shinogizukuri), mine and Mike's has the single convex bevel (Honzukuri).

Thanks, I see that now. Do just the clipless Higo's have the Honzukuri grind? Considering how hard it is to photograph them, I couldn't be sure if the normal models are honzukuri only.

Thanks, I see that now. Do just the clipless Higo's have the Honzukuri grind? Considering how hard it is to photograph them, I couldn't be sure if the normal models are honzukuri only.

I'm not sure, if I recall correctly there are different variations of each; I'd have to look into it though. I could swear I've saw all of them featuring different grinds.

I know there are also different variations of the models in YXR7. Some feature a DLC coating on the entire blade, which makes for a very interesting "smokey mirror" effect unlike anything I've ever seen before. However, I've seen some that only have the DLC coating on the flats and not the bevel, giving the bevel a typical mirror finish.

Their reasoning is that the mirror finish helps repel corrosion and full-DLC isn't necessary. I prefer the fully coated versions:)

Well, I think this will be relevant to this thread.

I took my Higo apart the other day to stuff some tritium in it. Here's the internals:

4C4FE575-D866-4385-B8DF-E522076CA824_zpsvqt643pt.jpg

Notice how the lockbar has a circular cutout. I've never seen this before, and I'm intrigued to know why it's there! I wish Rockstead had their own subforum here:(

Also, the tritium turned out great:thumbup:

8F357F3B-DD6F-4BFF-95D7-97126DB77B02_zpsktx2qkno.jpg

The only thing that comes to mind on the circular indent is that it is for the lockbar, "relief". A lot if not all frame locks have them inside like yours however I've read somewhere on the forums here that they are really supposed to be on the outside not the inside?

Man, I like the added tritium tube also. Did you have to modify the lanyard hole at all to accommodate the tube? Did you use a clear epoxy to set it?

I'm well aware of the theory behind relief cuts, however my Higo has a relief cut and a circular cut too. It's essentially 2 different shaped relief cuts on one lockbar.

The knife needed no modifications for the tritium, it's held in place with glow-in-the-dark O-rings. I have the same thing on my CRK's.

6488CAFC-264E-4539-88C9-06F792232FDB_zpsb6oqrje2.jpg

9BF0DD3E-1994-4E0F-9D55-B7629D03209E_zpsvoad7cox.jpg

Man! Such eye candy, all around! Nice photos too. Really like your Hizen, BronxIron, and congratulations on the addition to the family Blues Bender. That tanto grind is incredible. So clean. Definitely give us some updates after using it for awhile...... Okay, how about now?:D Mike

Hey Mike. Question for you and Blues Bender and whoever else has an opinion on this...

I'm trying to decide which Higo to get. The one in Duralumin or Ironwood scales.
What were the deciding factors for your decision to buy the one in Ironwood?
I'm accustomed to pocket clips but could learn to change. Also do you feel liner locks are inherently stronger than frame locks and less likely to fail?

I'd go for the Duralumin one myself, as I think it's a better daily carry and I prefer a pocket clip myself. Plus if you ever decide to sell it, the pocket clip option helps in that regard.

Hey Mike. Question for you and Blues Bender and whoever else has an opinion on this...

I'm trying to decide which Higo to get. The one in Duralumin or Ironwood scales.
What were the deciding factors for your decision to buy the one in Ironwood?
I'm accustomed to pocket clips but could learn to change. Also do you feel liner locks are inherently stronger than frame locks and less likely to fail?

I went for the Ironwood version simply because I prefer liner locks over framelocks. I do a lot of forceful cutting and have experienced lock stick due to my hand squeezing the lockbar in, however, a well made framelock should not exhibit this. Wether a Rocky will do this or not, I don't know. I will say, that my 2 Rocky's with linerlocks have excellent lockup! Also, I prefer linerlocks from an aesthetic standpoint too.

I don't think there is any advantage to one of the other. If the lock is well fitted, the it shouldn't matter wether it's a liner or frame lock.

The lack of a pocket clip was sort of a deal breaker for me, but I bought it anyways. I used to carry a leatherman on my belt, and this wasn't any different. To be honest, I like both methods of carry and could care less if a knife has a clip or not; granted that it has a very well made sheath. I also make my own sheaths, so worrying about the Rocky's sheath wearing out overtime was a non issue.

The ironwood model is a thing of beauty, and it's really on another level of quality. The wood scales are press fit to the liners and are epoxied (?) in. This allows the knife to feature the screws on one side only, the flip side shows no screws and makes for a very clean appearance.

Also, don't forget there is a micarta Higo that comes with a leather sheath too. I almost went with that one myself.

Either way, you can't go wrong. The quality will be there no matter which one you decide on. It all comes down to your preference. Liner lock or framelock? Simple elegance (duralumin) or natural beauty (ironwood)?

Back