Rockstead Knowledge Thread

@BluesBender: none of the knives are mine, but the pics come from an article i wrote on the Dutch knife forum about Rockstead in 2008.
Thought they would fit here as well.

Some pics of my SHUN-ZDP that arrived yesterday:

COSU9ls.jpg

YlKe4oQ.jpg

WqYWHNs.jpg

HdNspzy.jpg

K5RmlKj.jpg

POMkQBv.jpg

aNtBXpK.jpg

HBdX8GZ.jpg

l5lhUwy.jpg

UXgeuKD.jpg

IteS0pS.jpg

MccqMUv.jpg

Last edited:
(I deleted all but one pic to save space)

Sh!t, you probably just endangered the vast majority of my collection/toys - I now must have one!! THAT IS AWESOME!

Not east to get a DAMN from me, but DAMN!! That blade shape is bonkers. Wouldn't change a thing...

Good information! Interesting the graph calls these steels stainless. How is the corrosion resistance of YXR7? Same as zdp? Is a coated blade worth getting?

http://survinat.com/2013/04/field-tests-knife-rockstead/
In case you plan to hunt and dress your kill out in the field with your YXR7....It's broken English but we get the idea....

"The corrosion resistance, No. The knife was covered with grubby spots in fifteen minutes after the start of the test, and later on the slopes we noticed pitting".

iZfxfXA.jpg

There's a response from Rockstead directly dealing with the choice between ZDP189 and YXR7. Taken from British Blades.....This post should help drive your decision even more....

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?164590-Rockstead-Advice-Needed

Re: Rockstead Advice Needed
Hi,

Thanks for the input, Im thinking YXR7 is probably the way to go ( HIGO XID ), it appears the bamboo beating that Rockstead are so fond of is usually done with this material so as long as I can keep a check on any possible corrosion this should be a better match for my needs,

Does anyone know if the Rockstead DLC coating is covered by there warranty and if it can be reapplied should it be worn beyond the scope of the cutting edge?

( Better keep it away from the ocean )

This was Rocksteads recommendation when I explained my needs ( pretty much what they say on there site )

Thank you for your reply.

I think that the YXR7 with DLC is better.

We use two kinds of steel materials for our knife-blade. The steel material is ZDP189 and YXR7. I explain the feature.
ZDP189 : This is a cutting steel that is called a powder stainless steel.
Hardness is about HRc67. After cutting Manila rope 1,000 times with this knife, you can slice paper.
However, it is not suitable to beat and cut a hard tree with this knife.
YXR7 : This steel material is a kind of high speed tool steels.
Hardness is about HRc65. You can shave your beard afterwards even if you cut and beat the dried bamboo by this knife.
It is easy to rust though this is a steel material excellent for the knife is a fault. To make up for the fault, we coat the DLC.
If you wipe the knife without fail after use, YXR7 is perfect.
Our YXR7 blade has the most slashing power, penetration power, and durability.

Please consideration about that.

Sincerely yours,
∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽∽
Rocksted Corporation
Noriyuki Ishida   
1-26, Kannabe-cho, Sakaiku Sakai
590-0984 Osaka Japan
nori@rockstead.jp
www.rockstead.jp

Last edited:
Once again. Thank you Blues Bender for your contribution in helping us choose the right model and steel for our individual applications. I'm set on YXR7 as my goto.

http://survinat.com/2013/04/field-tests-knife-rockstead/
In case you plan to hunt and dress your kill out in the field with your YXR7....It's broken English but we get the idea....

"The corrosion resistance, No. The knife was covered with grubby spots in fifteen minutes after the start of the test, and later on the slopes we noticed pitting".

iZfxfXA.jpg

Why does every knife in Russian reviews perform so badly? I've never seen a positive review of a knife come from Russia:D

Some pics of my SHUN-ZDP that arrived yesterday:

COSU9ls.jpg

YlKe4oQ.jpg

WqYWHNs.jpg

HdNspzy.jpg

K5RmlKj.jpg

POMkQBv.jpg

aNtBXpK.jpg

HBdX8GZ.jpg

l5lhUwy.jpg

UXgeuKD.jpg

IteS0pS.jpg

MccqMUv.jpg

Wow! Between a few back and forths with Blues and these pics I think I'm going to start saving up for one of these. Sell some knives and start skipping my morning coffee and it should be attainable. If not I guess I could sell a firearm or a kidney. I have more of both than I need. :D

That's a breathtaking Shun my friend. Just remarkable...

Thank you, bladeninja.

That Chou of yours is beautiful. I regret selling my Chou-B after seeing your IW.

I have to hold off for a while before my next purchase. Painful to look at my credit card statement but what the hell you only live once.

Yep, a combination of fine-grit sandpaper on a soft medium, ceramic stones, and a strop is how I maintain mine. I've banged the tip of my Higo against concrete and steel before, resulting in absolute dullness. I've restored the sharpness multiple times.

Yes, it was white loctite which I've never seen before. Also, the "imperfection" in the pivot area of the right-side scale is just oil. It almost appears as if the coating is peeling in the pic; it's not.:)

Now that's sharp. Wow

rockstead-shu-c-zdp-cm-large.jpg

I'm not the biggest Rockstead fan, but if they ever make this with their DLC blade I'd gladly sell one of my cars to pay for it.

Hello all. Just a heads up...I'm graduating up the Rockstead ladder and just purchased a Higo. That being said, I may be selling my Chou to recoup some funds. Keep that in the back of your head and PM me if you're interested. I'll be making my decision by this weekend.

Until then....let's get some activity up on here. Let's see your Rocky's, let us know how you're using them and how much enjoyment you're getting from these magnificent tools.

Back