Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Good Sunday morning everyone. Well, I'm happy to announce that after reading & re-reading every article & watching many you-tube vids on different Rocksteads, I pulled the trigger on one this morning. With my wife's input, we chose the Rockstead Higo-X-IW-YXR7 for me. I did express shipping and it should be in my hands by this Wednesday. Totally jazzed and trust me.....pics will be posted ASAP. Thank you to Blues Bender & everyone whose provided thee information I needed to help in our decision. Y'all Rock.
Have a great upcoming week,
Donnie

Well, doorbell just rang & this baby has arrived. All I can say is.....the wait & research was soooo worth it. Fit & finish is just incredible. Took a test drive on a few scraps of paper and WOW is an understatement. Hopefully this pic will post! Many more to come.

HRC 64.0. Total sickness. Now I need to figure out the strop making, ect. I'm rereading everything once again in this forum but open to all advice.

I honestly don't even use a strop, I just touch the edge up with a ceramic stone. However, I'd recommend doing what you are most comfortable with.

I honestly don't even use a strop, I just touch the edge up with a ceramic stone. However, I'd recommend doing what you are most comfortable with.

I've been sing the same Spyderco sharpening setup for a long time. I'e got extra rods for really bad damage to very fine touch up. I'm going to watch ur vid on the geometry of the edge (s) & go from there. With a tool this sharp....i really need to move my sharpening game up a bit. Ever since i saw your Higo, I was stoked. I really do appreciate all the advice you & others have offered. Hope all is well in ur neck of the woods.

I've been sing the same Spyderco sharpening setup for a long time. I'e got extra rods for really bad damage to very fine touch up. I'm going to watch ur vid on the geometry of the edge (s) & go from there. With a tool this sharp....i really need to move my sharpening game up a bit. Ever since i saw your Higo, I was stoked. I really do appreciate all the advice you & others have offered. Hope all is well in ur neck of the woods.

No problem, ask me any questions you have! I know that some guys said that they had some small scratches when using the sandpaper method I describe in my video, however, I never experienced this. Just a small warning to be cautious of that mirror finish!!!

Thank you Blues Bender! Any new vid links you have or have knowledge of would be extremely helpful. I have no problem asking questions for help. Plus, I really just want to enjoy this new tool and who knows what the next Rockstead might be. I'm pretty specific in knives because I know what necessities I need them for. Thanks again for the assist!

Thank you Blues Bender! Any new vid links you have or have knowledge of would be extremely helpful. I have no problem asking questions for help. Plus, I really just want to enjoy this new tool and who knows what the next Rockstead might be. I'm pretty specific in knives because I know what necessities I need them for. Thanks again for the assist!

I am not aware of any new videos regarding maintenance, but they may be out there. Honestly, this thread is quite the encyclopedic reference for Rocksteads, in my opinion;)

Officially had this baby for a month. Also one of my two non-traditional productions left. The rest are gone.

The blade is severely underrated. Thanks Blues Bender for selling me on this bad boy.

Last edited:
Glad to know you're enjoying it:)

What's the other non-traditional that you're holding on to?

Classic S30V PM2 just to absorb all the tape gunk. The rest are of the knives are extinct (Queen, Canal St.), customs & classics like Higonokamis, Opinels, Languioles, etc.

Now I'm eyeing a Rockstead Ryo type knife, one they make something that is pillared and not integral.

If I want another Rockstead, but not closed construction, what do you recommend?

This is my first Rockstead and I have to say the fit and finish on these knives is incredible. Picked this one up on the forum a few months back and I have not regretted it at all. Sharpest knife I have ever handled and I have to say it has gotten me a few times. This is the Sai and it does not have a pocket clip but comes with a great belt sheath that is perfectly fitted to the knife (the knife actually snaps into place in the sheath). This a very informative thread for anyone considering purchasing a Rockstead knife. Wish I had seen it sooner as I probably wouldn't have waited so long to pick one up. Don't mind those crumbs on my kitchen counter.Rockstead.jpg

Looks like ill be part of the club soon :)
I put the last DLC Higo at knife center on layaway. I had a hard time justifying in my mind paying almost 8 bills on a knife but was able to tell myself a couple payments of 200-300 isnt that bad....lol. things we tell ourselves to justify our knife habit.
A rockstead has been a grail of mine. Can't wait to see that mirror polish in person.

Looks like ill be part of the club soon :)
I put the last DLC Higo at knife center on layaway. I had a hard time justifying in my mind paying almost 8 bills on a knife but was able to tell myself a couple payments of 200-300 isnt that bad....lol. things we tell ourselves to justify our knife habit.
A rockstead has been a grail of mine. Can't wait to see that mirror polish in person.
The one I picked up is totally wicked. The DLC coating is really incredible and I'e carried mine every day since it arrived. This setup, in my opinion, is well worth the $$. Happy that it' coming together for you.

Back