Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Does anyone know whats going on with the area right below the choil? Some Higo's have the jimping and some dont. Old and new models? Ive noticed this while shopping around and found it odd.

Does anyone know whats going on with the area right below the choil? Some Higo's have the jimping and some dont. Old and new models? Ive noticed this while shopping around and found it odd.

Huh, I've never noticed that. I'll have to keep an eye out now. I would imagine it's just different production runs, and that jimping there would be the newest design.

Strange idea here.....but with those recessed cut outs in the wood you could epoxy a few tritium bars on both sides...with the angle of the blade when closed it would reflect a cool glow on your night stand...:cool:

It would also be a great place to put micro nuts for a clip..

Last edited:
Strange idea here.....but with those recessed cut outs in the wood you could epoxy a few tritium bars on both sides...with the angle of the blade when closed it would reflect a cool glow on your night stand...:cool:

It would also be a great place to put micro nuts for a clip..

I already put some tritium in the lanyard hole on my Higo. It's been there for a couple years or so. My CRK's are the same way.

I used to switch between green and blue, but I have settled on blue for the Higo. It's hard to get a pic that shows the "glow", but trust me, it's there.

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Shu Review Part 3

The Shu locks firmly using a button lock with the button itself protruding unobtrusively from handle's show side and its mechanics hidden away inside the handle. This is my first knife with a button lock and I am very impressing with its strength as a lock and ease of operation. The detent is firm and appears to be independent of the locking mechanism as evidenced by my observation that the button moves only when locking open but not upon shutting; the author of the Edge Observer blog came to the same conclusion in his review of the Ryo which as mentioned earlier also has a button lock.
fCMt4W5.jpg

In the first picture you can see the knife in the closed position with the button depressed. It seems to me that were the detent a function of the locking mechanism the button would return to its outward locked position. Take this with the same grain of salt you would any amateur's opinion.
q2v8EFj.jpg

The important matter is that both the lock and the detent work and work well. When open there is no blade play at all in any direction once the lock is engaged which it does with an authoritative click. If covert missions are you thing I do not recommend this knife. The lock is disengaged by depressing the button located a short distance from the thumbs in-use-position on the spine of the handle or blade. That much should be obvious.
rZmXi8s.jpg

The knife does not fall shut which presents no concern for me and detent clicks into place upon full closure and holds the blade firmly and securely within the handle. As the knife has a tip-up pocket clip–should you opt to use it–these is little chance that the knife will fall open while riding in you pocket. This is apparently accomplished by means of ridge just inside the handle from the choil visible in the photo below.
0OyT4TQ.jpg

The detent is easily overcome using the dual thumbstubs. Comfortable on the thumb and at an effective distance from the pivot I have no problem whatsoever opening this knife smoothly. It should be noted that the knife does not swing open once the detent mechanism has been disengaged as is the case on a knife with an Axis Lock and requires a consistent sweeping motion with your thumb until locking in the open position not unlike a Sebenza, Mnandi or a non-flipping Emerson. The same is true when closing the knife.
HelsFYS.jpg

While "spine-wacking" may have become the practice of some it is overkill for the intended use of a folding pocket knife. However, I like to "spine-tap" a new knife against my palm or the arm of an upholstered chair to see if there is any movement or shifting as might occur in a liner or frame-lock. There is no movement or shifting whatsoever in the blade itself or button when "spine-tapped" against my palm.

All of my locking knives are either liner-locks, frame-locks or some adaptation of one or the other such as the liner-less tab-lock on the Shirogorov Sigma or Hoback MK Ultra save for one compression lock, the Lil' Native. Each knife locks securely with no complaint from me but even on the best frame or liner-lock the lock-will slide–perhaps only slightly along the tang toward the opposite handle scale. This presents no weakness in my opinion and could even be construed as an asset: the harder you use it the harder it locks. However frivolous my spine-tap may seem to the reader I'm curious as to the interaction between the tang and the lock-bar and not at all "testing" for lock failure. The button lock as implemented on the Shu shows no such shift or movement. I have taken apart most of the knives I own for the purpose of maintenance with curiosity as an ulterior motive but I am hesitant or disassemble this knife without need as I am sure the button lock is more complex than a frame or liner-lock. And, springs make me nervous ever since taking apart a Benchmade Valet and struggling briefly to refit the Omega Spring properly.

Last edited:
Well I finally got mine in the mail and I'm pretty blown away. Hate to say tho I posted it up for sale
as Im setting money aside to buy a car. I'm having second thoughts tho. The knife is flawless and I think
Ill kick myself later if I sale it.
First impressions are how incredibly light it is. With the blade folded the overall footprint is very small and can
see how this would disappear in the pocket. It does remind me a lot of a large sebenza as far as form factor goes.

z8ii9JH.jpg

Reactions: CPP
Anyone know why there seems to be so few Ryo’s available? There only seems to be one merchant with them in supply currently?

Anyone know why there seems to be so few Ryo’s available? There only seems to be one merchant with them in supply currently?

Rockstead did release the Ryo on blue a few years after the original

Well looks like this ones a keeper. This knife is just too good. Im a huge Sebenza fan and this knife to me feels like a Sebenza on steroids. I think if more people were able to get their hands on one the popularity would sky rocket. I wish I could handle the other
models in the lineup but thats gonna take a whole lot more money.

Well looks like this ones a keeper. This knife is just too good. Im a huge Sebenza fan and this knife to me feels like a Sebenza on steroids. I think if more people were able to get their hands on one the popularity would sky rocket. I wish I could handle the other
models in the lineup but thats gonna take a whole lot more money.

I would have bought yours from you Alpha but I literally just bought one from another member here hours before you listed yours..

Just received my Higo! So much better than my Ryo. But I cant stop wiping it....will this ever stop? :D

I've become quite obsessive about polishing mine too, this doesn't stop me from using it. How is the pocket clip on the Ryo? Its being retractable sounds interesting and useful but its position was my reason for not getting one. How does it sit in the pocket? Jeans would probably be better than trousers.

I only owned the Ryo for an hour or two, I received it in very questionable state from KnifeCenter. It was very dull, gritty, and packed in dirty bubble wrap. I shipped it right back to them and they charged me a $90 restocking fee. I was not impressed with the clip, it had what seemed like a ball-bearing spring detent. I think a clip on a knife should be easily changeable and this design and parts wear so proprietary that any simple fix was out of the question. I cant imagine the knife riding in the pocket in any satisfactory way. The Ryo IMO still has the most attractive blade shape of all there offerings.

Last edited:
I only owned the Ryo for an hour or two, I received it in very questionable state from KnifeCenter. It was very dull, gritty, and packed in dirty bubble wrap. I shipped it right back to them and they charged me a $90 restocking fee. I was not impressed with the clip, it had what seemed like a ball-bearing spring detent. I think a clip on a knife should be easily changeable and this design and parts wear so proprietary that any simple fix was out of the question. I cant imagine the knife riding in the pocket in any satisfactory way. The Ryo IMO still has the most attractive blade shape of all there offerings.

Great, so the one Ryo that still seems to be available is a dud. Oh well, secondary market it is, then.

Great, so the one Ryo that still seems to be available is a dud. Oh well, secondary market it is, then.

Probably, and they just keep shipping it out and getting it back....charging $90 restock fee every time...what a racket!

Another guy here on the forums received a knife from them that was missing a grind on the blade (manufacture defect) They charged him a restocking fee as well!

Bought my Ryo direct from Japan last year. After I placed the web order and went back into website browsing, Ryo was immediately shown "Out Of Stock". Okay, I was ready for the week long wait....following days I was monitoring the Asian mail tracking...much the same as the previous experience from my two direct order from Japan...after a few days...it was shown delivered!! It was not delivered to my address....contacted Rockstead in Japan, they found Ryo was sent to a wrong address and they assured me a replacement is on its way. After I received my Ryo, birthday was shown two days after I contacted them!! Rockstead also gifted me one of their iron wood handle DLC Chou as a token for their apology!!

I have three other Rockstead folders. Shin and Tei's remarkable butterly action are nearly identical. Shun's action aside having Rockstead's trademark smooth, it is distinctly different from the former two siblings.

Ryo, on the other hand, blade rotation is also Rockstead rock solid smooth. It has a complete unique character from the other three. I like the clip's two bearing detent, positively locks in both open and close position. Nice and precise with an audible light metallic click in each position.

I didn't care much for the other Rockstead model having button lock system. But Ryo's blade shape, unique pocket clip and handle design won me over, finally, after two years of indecision. It is unique among my other three folders and I am very happy on the purchase.

Shu Review Part 4

The Shu comes with a filler tab in the inset for mounting the pocket clip and the clip itself in slot in the foam insert the knife arrived in. The tab is flush with the handle including on the curved part on the pommel and is held in place by two T6 screws. I prefer the Shu in hand and aesthetically without the pocket clip but not wanting to use a sheath of some sort with a folding knife function wins over fashion.
KOyJ3iC.jpg

The Shu's tab is easier to remove than the one for a Sebenza which has a very tight fit. However, this does not result in any unsightly gaps or spaces. There is a third hole lying beneath the tab which I assume is for the purpose of pushing out the tab out should it become stuck for whatever reason.
R1lSLrl.jpg

No Loctite was used to hold the two Torx screws in place so once undone the tab falls out without any effort.
jIsqhFO.jpg

The pocket clip is installed using the same two screws and is of the deep-carry variety keeping the entire handle out of site as the clip extends approximately two millimeters beyond the handle. There is a slight gap between the clip's not-quite-point-of-contact and the handle which creates no problem for me, while further up the clip toward the butt of the handle there sufficient space for thicker pant material.
em9w7fI.jpg

The clip is made of SUS 420j2 as stated on the included specification sheet and is 1mm thick HRc50 so is relatively soft and flexible. 420j2 is described by AZO Materials as a stainless steel that both "inexpensive and highly corrosion resistant" and "possess[es] good strength and reasonable impact resistant properties in hardened and tempered conditions when compared with 440 grades." The clip gets a secure enough grip on a pants pocket for casual use which is perfect for all of the uses I have for a folding knife except for biking for which I prefer the stiffer clip of an Emerson to hold in place while being held almost upside down.
vLThU1T.jpg

The clip is at a pronounced angle from the direction of the handle which serves as an advantage by directing the weight of knife toward the rear of a jeans or similar pocket making it less likely that it will swing forward while walking.

Back