Rockstead Knowledge Thread

I asked a friend that was sending me a couple of traditional folders that needed some TLC if he would also send along his Rockstead Chou just to examine, as right now the Rockstead family is a bit out of reach for me and wanted to see what the hubbub was all about. The Chou, pretty amazing knife, while I knew it has a serious curve to it, I didn't realize how thick the blade stock was, but the fit and finish are both outstanding and was glad to have handled it to see what it looks like in real life. I would not cut anything with it, as it isn't mine, but the edge is zero edge bevel and you can feel that it is very keen. I think it might be a bit thick if you did try to cut things with it, but those that own one can say how that all works. Here are a few quick images I took of the knife, I might try to get some nicer shots later on but the mirror polish of the blade certainly adds to the difficulty to photograph it.

you can see the ceiling tiles reflected on the blade in this shot;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Very cool knife !
G2

That would be my one nit pick
I don’t like it but then I haven’t really used it
It holds very secure and the shape dictates what is needed so probably that’s as good as it gets
G2

Hello. This is not really any news that hasn't been already discussed here. But, I wanted to again comment on how fine Rockstead knives are. I initially purchased a Chou, which was a good intro to a Rockstead blade and I really liked it, but I gifted it to my brother. Then, I purchased a Kou in ZDP-189 and was REALLY impressed with all aspects of the knife! I had a friend EDC it for a while for him to use it and evaluate how it worked for him (he is a machinist and outdoors/sportsman). He returned it and I was actually amazed at how well it "held up". I've been carrying it everyday and really enjoy everything about it.
I was fortunate to be able to recently purchase another Chou and.... a Chi in ZDP-189/VG10!! It is truly amazing!! It seems to be absolutely perfect and the blade grinds, bevels, edge are incredible!!
Again, I just want to state for anyone who follows these postings or maybe is looking at it for the first time... the Rockstead's I've had/have approach perfection. On receipt of the knives new, I haven't been able to find a single flaw. They are incredible slicers/cutters and to me, have a fantastic style and design.
Of course, there are those who don't like the styles or expense. But for those who might want a Rockstead, I really don't think they'd be disappointed.
***Please note that I only relate my experiences with the knives I've had. They are relatively expensive and I wouldn't recommend them for any use that might be considered "abusive" for a fine knife/piece of cutlery.
Thanks and best regards, Adam

Just picked up my first Rockstead, a Higo, it's beautiful, and like another forum on 1911's that I belong to this forum is going to cost me some bones!!;)
Just sitting here taking it in and trying to figure out how to pay for the next one. Thought I would post it on this thread first as it is information that drove me "over the edge" and convinced me to take the plunge.
Thanks to @Blues Bender for your input to this thread and the community!

IMG_20190309_122117341 (1).jpg
IMG_20190309_122316267 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Rockstead is releasing a new version of the Higo, the HigoII, with titanium scales either in a shiny finish or matte. The blade will be offered in to blade steels as on the original either ZDP 189 or YXR7 coated in DLC as on the original. The release is scheduled for May or June. I hope a Hizen with a titanium handle is in the works too.
3b76b3eef5e265f1f680d1a5c8fa74fb20d62644.jpg
14311d20a6724514dbeb4502f0a0de0193d08431.jpg

da8a41696ce9dc0f1cd5f7a1baae42e50fe503ca.jpg
83eb63b22b364d4360c455474c30dad2ba07bf78.jpg

I apologize if this has been covered, but what would be the difference in use between the YXR7 and ZDP189 on Rocksteads. I am looking at picking a Rockstead up soon and would like some direction for a choice.

I am looking at a Chi with the DLC. It looks like the DLC goes almost all the way down to the apex with only a little bit of naked steel exposed on what looks like a microbevel. In the past I've stropped microbevels by stropping the secondary grind with a little exra pressure to get the leather to give a little, contacting the apex. I'm assuming I shouldn't do this with the dlc? Would Rockstead reapply the coating if it wears off?

if true, that is just sad, rocksteads marketing manager might perform ritual corporate seppuku ... maybe they thought blade show isn't an important enough venue?

Ok, new to Rockstead and don’t know that much, strop before getting dull is the first thing I think I know but when does one sharpen and what do you use? Thanks guys for any information on this!;)

I've finally finished reading this thread - what a great resource. Thank you to all the contributors, especially Blues Bender.

I'm planning to buy a Rockstead folder soon. I live in London so I've been checking all the European dealer sites. The prices tend to be very similar, but I did find a few discounts at a German dealer called Feines Werkzeug. They have a gold Ritzu for 1495 euros, a Ryo for 1608 euros and a blue Sai for 1415 euros. They're substantially cheaper than Heinnie Haynes, the UK dealer which would be my default choice.

There are also three used Rockstead folders for sale at Sporting Cutlery of North Wales. The prices are not compelling. Neither are the photos. They have a Tei, a Sai and an ironwood Higo. Somebody needs to explain to them how valuable it is to be the first owner with a warranty - their prices need a severe trim IMO.

Back