1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bladeninja, Oct 23, 2015.

1. rooster68

rooster68 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Altogether from when I shipped it out until it got back to Texas was a tad over 4 weeks.

2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I asked a friend that was sending me a couple of traditional folders that needed some TLC if he would also send along his Rockstead Chou just to examine, as right now the Rockstead family is a bit out of reach for me and wanted to see what the hubbub was all about. The Chou, pretty amazing knife, while I knew it has a serious curve to it, I didn't realize how thick the blade stock was, but the fit and finish are both outstanding and was glad to have handled it to see what it looks like in real life. I would not cut anything with it, as it isn't mine, but the edge is zero edge bevel and you can feel that it is very keen. I think it might be a bit thick if you did try to cut things with it, but those that own one can say how that all works. Here are a few quick images I took of the knife, I might try to get some nicer shots later on but the mirror polish of the blade certainly adds to the difficulty to photograph it.

you can see the ceiling tiles reflected on the blade in this shot;

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Very cool knife !
    G2

3. rooster68

rooster68 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Good looking piece!

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  4. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
  5. CPP

CPP Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2014
  6. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    That would be my one nit pick
    I don’t like it but then I haven’t really used it
    It holds very secure and the shape dictates what is needed so probably that’s as good as it gets
    G2

cigarrodog and rooster68 like this.
  7. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Great images Gary.

rooster68 and Gary W. Graley like this.
  8. alongoria

alongoria

Dec 13, 2009
    Hello. This is not really any news that hasn't been already discussed here. But, I wanted to again comment on how fine Rockstead knives are. I initially purchased a Chou, which was a good intro to a Rockstead blade and I really liked it, but I gifted it to my brother. Then, I purchased a Kou in ZDP-189 and was REALLY impressed with all aspects of the knife! I had a friend EDC it for a while for him to use it and evaluate how it worked for him (he is a machinist and outdoors/sportsman). He returned it and I was actually amazed at how well it "held up". I've been carrying it everyday and really enjoy everything about it.
    I was fortunate to be able to recently purchase another Chou and.... a Chi in ZDP-189/VG10!! It is truly amazing!! It seems to be absolutely perfect and the blade grinds, bevels, edge are incredible!!
    Again, I just want to state for anyone who follows these postings or maybe is looking at it for the first time... the Rockstead's I've had/have approach perfection. On receipt of the knives new, I haven't been able to find a single flaw. They are incredible slicers/cutters and to me, have a fantastic style and design.
    Of course, there are those who don't like the styles or expense. But for those who might want a Rockstead, I really don't think they'd be disappointed.
    ***Please note that I only relate my experiences with the knives I've had. They are relatively expensive and I wouldn't recommend them for any use that might be considered "abusive" for a fine knife/piece of cutlery.
    Thanks and best regards, Adam

9. Greg6640

Greg6640 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Just picked up my first Rockstead, a Higo, it's beautiful, and like another forum on 1911's that I belong to this forum is going to cost me some bones!!;)
    Just sitting here taking it in and trying to figure out how to pay for the next one. Thought I would post it on this thread first as it is information that drove me "over the edge" and convinced me to take the plunge.
    Thanks to @Blues Bender for your input to this thread and the community!

IMG_20190309_122117341 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190309_122316267 (1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    woodysone, KVT, microbe and 5 others like this.
  10. CPP

CPP Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Rockstead is releasing a new version of the Higo, the HigoII, with titanium scales either in a shiny finish or matte. The blade will be offered in to blade steels as on the original either ZDP 189 or YXR7 coated in DLC as on the original. The release is scheduled for May or June. I hope a Hizen with a titanium handle is in the works too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

microbe and patrickguignot like this.
  11. leeramundo

leeramundo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    I apologize if this has been covered, but what would be the difference in use between the YXR7 and ZDP189 on Rocksteads. I am looking at picking a Rockstead up soon and would like some direction for a choice.

12. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    One is stainless, one isn't which is why the YXR7 gets coated.

13. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    yxr7 is similar to m2 tool steel, but tougher, and overall much tougher than zdp189 - so if you really expect to be hard on your rockstead, it's a better choice. (Please don't abuse your rockstead ; )

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/yxr7.shtml

leeramundo and Greg6640 like this.
  14. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    HigoII now I will get a Rockstead (AL handles was the only thing stopping me before)

[​IMG]

Jacknife64, lintonindy and microbe like this.
  15. leeramundo

leeramundo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    I am looking at a Chi with the DLC. It looks like the DLC goes almost all the way down to the apex with only a little bit of naked steel exposed on what looks like a microbevel. In the past I've stropped microbevels by stropping the secondary grind with a little exra pressure to get the leather to give a little, contacting the apex. I'm assuming I shouldn't do this with the dlc? Would Rockstead reapply the coating if it wears off?

16. Sled

Sled Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Anyone see the HIGO II up close and personal at BLADE?

17. Travisg

Travisg Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2017
    They didn’t Bring it. I asked about it.

18. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    if true, that is just sad, rocksteads marketing manager might perform ritual corporate seppuku ... maybe they thought blade show isn't an important enough venue?

19. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Ok, new to Rockstead and don’t know that much, strop before getting dull is the first thing I think I know but when does one sharpen and what do you use? Thanks guys for any information on this!;)

20. Nick H.

Nick H.

Jul 28, 2019
    I've finally finished reading this thread - what a great resource. Thank you to all the contributors, especially Blues Bender.

I'm planning to buy a Rockstead folder soon. I live in London so I've been checking all the European dealer sites. The prices tend to be very similar, but I did find a few discounts at a German dealer called Feines Werkzeug. They have a gold Ritzu for 1495 euros, a Ryo for 1608 euros and a blue Sai for 1415 euros. They're substantially cheaper than Heinnie Haynes, the UK dealer which would be my default choice.

There are also three used Rockstead folders for sale at Sporting Cutlery of North Wales. The prices are not compelling. Neither are the photos. They have a Tei, a Sai and an ironwood Higo. Somebody needs to explain to them how valuable it is to be the first owner with a warranty - their prices need a severe trim IMO.