Rockstead Knowledge Thread

It's a cultural thang, rules are rules in some societies. Warranty work outside of original owner is not part of the deal with Rockstead and they stick by their rules. To enforce this rule, they require you to register the knife upon purchase. It's also a sales tool, since it provides a very good reason to buy new from a registered dealer.

For what its worth I had a similar flaw in a lower end WH, which was expertly filled and sold at discount. I did not return it, 'cause overall I liked the knife and was planning on using it. The filling matched and has remained stable for 12 years.

It's a cultural thang, rules are rules in some societies. Warranty work outside of original owner is not part of the deal with Rockstead and they stick by their rules. To enforce this rule, they require you to register the knife upon purchase.
Then I think the knife should be automatically registered by the dealer upon purchase to avoid any of this confusion on the secondary market. Which was really my biggest point in these posts...to get the knowledge out there that "unregistered" means nothing.

Dealer registration of a knife upon sale is totally Un-American and would devestate their sales.

Don't like the rules, don't play the game, and Rockstead uses technology to enforce their rules that's your knowledge. Seriously, Thanks for your story, people do need to realize it. There are other negatives too, such as having to send Rocksteads to Japan to restore that famous edge.

...that famous edge.

c2af625b_881c_4e1f_ad7f_4cdca413c2c4_ca4b479e253aee2b70f00547a4d353c39da7257a.jpeg

tenor.gif

My takeaway from reading all of this is that A) I will NEVER buy a Rockstead unless it comes directly from an authorized dealer because of the warranty and B) While it cant be 100% proven it seems like some knives that never should have made it out of the shop were released into the wild.

Too bad because it hurts the confidence i I have in them regarding their commitment to quality. I’ve been looking at the upcoming Ren model, but all of this is not making the decision any easier.

Noob here, not trolling I swear, but just wondering if there are any Rockstead owners who use their knives the same way one would use a basic folder. I would have a hard time with it since the appeal seems to be that butter-ass finish, but if I found one on the street and decided to keep it then I would be tempted to see how it holds up compared to an inexpensive knife under regular wear and tear.

Noob here, not trolling I swear, but just wondering if there are any Rockstead owners who use their knives the same way one would use a basic folder. I would have a hard time with it since the appeal seems to be that butter-ass finish, but if I found one on the street and decided to keep it then I would be tempted to see how it holds up compared to an inexpensive knife under regular wear and tear.
Been carrying and using mine since I got it, pretty much the only knife I've used for breaking down cardboard and it's held up great.

Screenshot_20200630-155601_Gallery~2.jpg

They are all WAY out of my league. I'm more of a meat and potatoes guy.....with the occasional T-bone steak when I can afford it :)

This thread has been great and very informative! Looking to get a Hizen but now more than ever am torn between ZDP or YXR7!! Would love to hear more from users of both. Thanks!

This thread has been great and very informative! Looking to get a Hizen but now more than ever am torn between ZDP or YXR7!! Would love to hear more from users of both. Thanks!
ZDP-189 is going to take and hold a finer edge, while YXR7 is going to tolerate abuse a little better.

I kind of really want one of their fixed blades. Absolutely no idea what I'd do with it, but that hasn't stopped me before.

That said, I don't like the idea of having to verify that the seller is an authorized dealer and registering a knife. It's a friggin knife.

ZDP-189 is going to take and hold a finer edge, while YXR7 is going to tolerate abuse a little better.
Thanks! Since will be first might go YXR7 as i think it goes with the duraluminion handles a little bit better. Then if they make the Hizen in a polished ti with that ZDP, oh man that would look sharp (no pun intended)

I've just ordered a Hizen in ZDP as well. I have the CHI model I bought 6 years ago and still have it like new. Finally decided to get one that I will EDC, with saving the CHI model for when I want a bigger folder or keep it as a treasure knife in my collection. Will post once it arrives! Ordered some new diamond strops as well for my other knives and hopefully to help maintain the Hizen.

As a side note, I had never registered the knife because I forgot and Rockstead was happy to take my registration information 6 years late lol.

Last edited:
Anyone have any opinions on the Ren being released? I just started researching/collecting knives and am trying to pick up a Hizen this week and considering the Ren as my next big purchase.

I was looking at picking up a SHU button lock as the ergo and forward finger choil looks great for function.
S ShankyStabby I was looking at the REN too, but I will wait till they drop so I have a better idea what the final look will be. I have a few Begg Astio’s and Shiro’s so I’m not new to collecting, BUT no safe queens for me...I use mine! Yes they cost, but so much fun to use, I mean that’s what they were made for.

Has anyone here, as a second hand owner tried to register a previously unregistered knife? If so, was the registration accepted?

Back