Rockstead Knowledge Thread

This thread is very disappointing. Part of coming to these forums is to meet other knife folks and have conversations with healthy debates and sharing the excitement and joy of all the knife makers out there and what niche offerings they have.

What disappoints me the most is the heresy and misinformation or any validation of the information before drawing conclusions about the company or the people involved.

Rockstead makes wonderful knives, they have authorized dealers as their sales and customer care arm, and they provide a warranty and services for their knives. There’s nothing unusual about that structure.

You may not like their products , warranty , service , and so on and that’s OK. They have found a market or niche they fit in that works for them. Asking them to have the same expectations as another knife producer may not be possible for them or what they want to do. Large volume dealers that sell $100 knives at a $10 cost are going to have more options and flexibility. Boutique products are just that , speciality items that are usually much higher in price because of the smaller scale or labor or whatever.

At the end of the day , if you don’t find value in the product based on what it offers and all that comes with it , that’s fine. Those that come here who’ve decided it is something they appreciate and enjoy, well let them get back to discussing and supporting them and any new members that come to join in.

And finally , as of to date I have not heard Rockstead or their authorized dealers not correcting any issue found with a blade purchased by a client. They seem to be willing to service any blade for an additional cost of service like most businesses. The expectation that a business would support a product and its wear and tear for the entirety of the products usable life is a bit ridiculous unless stated so by the company which usually brings an even higher cost to the product unless it’s a disposable product to begin with.

I’ll be getting my second Rockstead tomorrow and hope to enjoy it as my EDC.

Hmmmm...direct experience from longtime members versus the words of some dude with two posts who joined a week ago. Eeehhhhh....think I'll stick with the direct experience, and not folks using "Well, I've not heard of it happening, therefore it's UNPOSSIBLE." arguments.

RayseM RayseM If something goes wrong with my knives , and Rockstead fails to honor the warranty then, then yes I’d be out a lot money and it’s be a pretty bad experience and I wouldn’t purchase from them again. There’s nothing surprising about that and I’d expect most people to have the same reaction.

All I’ve asked if that things be taken into context and just as am I now being judged for my anecdotal evidence or my tenure on the forums, if you’re going to vilify anyone or any company at least have facts and some support of the context of what happened.

This thread is being driven more by hate and resentment, instead of being a place to talk about the knives themselves. I joined because I wanted to talk about the knives in my collection and find others like me and yes, critique them , discuss about maintenance on them , etc. Now I don’t know if it’s possible which sucks.

And as far as the warranty denied, I think they have every right to deny claims they know are fraudulent or not with whatever policy they set even if it’s not liked by most. That’s on them to see if the adjust it or not or if it matters. As I had posted earlier , I hadn’t registered my CHI in six years because I just forgotten about it until I was looking to buy another one. I filled out their form and just sent them a copy of my receipt and I was registered without any issue or problem.

The problem with my anecdote above is it’s just a statement made without any additional evidence to support. Also , none of us know how many warranty denials are happening at any company , or how well they are treating their customers. All we can do is listen to feedback with a grain of salt and see if there’s enough of it where a significant portion of people are being affected and take our own personal actions after.

My “positive” story above or one negative experience by someone shouldn’t cause anyone to be blindingly attacking or defending the company. I would suspicious of anyone that did that not because of the stance they chose , but because they they make decisions as if they are black and white when most things are in the gray area and more context or concrete support is needed.

RockStead has the right to make their warranty whatever they want and enforce it however they see fit so long as that is clear to the customer. We as consumers have the right to point out that their warranty and how they enforce it is complete and total trash and that they as a company should not be supported by the knife enthusiast community.

RayseM RayseM If something goes wrong with my knives , and Rockstead fails to honor the warranty then, then yes I’d be out a lot money and it’s be a pretty bad experience and I wouldn’t purchase from them again. There’s nothing surprising about that and I’d expect most people to have the same reaction.

All I’ve asked if that things be taken into context and just as am I now being judged for my anecdotal evidence or my tenure on the forums, if you’re going to vilify anyone or any company at least have facts and some support of the context of what happened.

This thread is being driven more by hate and resentment, instead of being a place to talk about the knives themselves. I joined because I wanted to talk about the knives in my collection and find others like me and yes, critique them , discuss about maintenance on them , etc. Now I don’t know if it’s possible which sucks.

And as far as the warranty denied, I think they have every right to deny claims they know are fraudulent or not with whatever policy they set even if it’s not liked by most. That’s on them to see if the adjust it or not or if it matters. As I had posted earlier , I hadn’t registered my CHI in six years because I just forgotten about it until I was looking to buy another one. I filled out their form and just sent them a copy of my receipt and I was registered without any issue or problem.

The problem with my anecdote above is it’s just a statement made without any additional evidence to support. Also , none of us know how many warranty denials are happening at any company , or how well they are treating their customers. All we can do is listen to feedback with a grain of salt and see if there’s enough of it where a significant portion of people are being affected and take our own personal actions after.

My “positive” story above or one negative experience by someone shouldn’t cause anyone to be blindingly attacking or defending the company. I would suspicious of anyone that did that not because of the stance they chose , but because they they make decisions as if they are black and white when most things are in the gray area and more context or concrete support is needed.
Here's the problem with your last paragraph, you are coming across as shill and the issues being brought up are by a well respected long time forum supporting service provider. Your opinion means less. Sorry.

I'm a big fan of the HIZEN and HIGO but I'm not completely sold on the REN (yet). What do you think?
And why is Rockstead preferring ZDP-189 over YXR-7?

O OrangeBlueOrangeBlue the problems stem for their inadequate warranty, unless you are a first owner and live in Japan then it might be a completely adequate warranty. The fact the warranty is gone the minute you buy it 2nd hand cuts the value of their knives to me by more than 50% and the fact that 1st owners are responsible for many cost of the warranty process, ie shipping, also devalues the knife significantly. I love the idea of a gorgeous tool I can admire and use which is what one might think they make but based on the warranty I am not sure one can comfortably use it and if you aren't using it then what use is the warranty its highly improbable a knife will fail from sitting on a shelf.

In the 2ndary market it isn't well known, or wasn't, that buying a pre-owned Rockstead meant you had no warranty and no one advertises as such or advertises some indication that the new owner will be able to register it as if they were the initial owner. This complicates the issue of their warranty further as people end up with a knife that they can't get warranty support for despite the fact that it may have an undiscovered problem that is due to a manufacturing defect. It is easy for these issues to go undiscovered if first owner never used it or barely used it.

The problem here is that we have a couple reputable members here who are sharing stories of exactly that problem.

O OrangeBlueOrangeBlue the problems stem for their inadequate warranty, unless you are a first owner and live in Japan then it might be a completely adequate warranty. The fact the warranty is gone the minute you buy it 2nd hand cuts the value of their knives to me by more than 50% and the fact that 1st owners are responsible for many cost of the warranty process, ie shipping, also devalues the knife significantly. I love the idea of a gorgeous tool I can admire and use which is what one might think they make but based on the warranty I am not sure one can comfortably use it and if you aren't using it then what use is the warranty its highly improbable a knife will fail from sitting on a shelf.

In the 2ndary market it isn't well known, or wasn't, that buying a pre-owned Rockstead meant you had no warranty and no one advertises as such or advertises some indication that the new owner will be able to register it as if they were the initial owner. This complicates the issue of their warranty further as people end up with a knife that they can't get warranty support for despite the fact that it may have an undiscovered problem that is due to a manufacturing defect. It is easy for these issues to go undiscovered if first owner never used it or barely used it.

The problem here is that we have a couple reputable members here who are sharing stories of exactly that problem.

The "registration" of Rockstead knives isn't a new phenomenon, and it often comes up in the Knife Exchange (either from the seller or as a question from a potential buyer). If you look at for sale posts from before WValtakis's posted his knife (May 8th), most of them address whether the knife was registered.

Here's one from 2017: "The knife is essentially brand new and has NOT BEEN REGISTERED YET with Rockstead, so if you choose to register it you will be the official owner as far as Rockstead is concerned...."
https://bladeforums.com/threads/both-are-sold-rockstead-chi-sold-ckf-gavko-spinner.1540867

Or maybe this one from 2015: "I never registered the knife, so whomever buys it will be able to register it to themselves."
https://bladeforums.com/threads/fs-rockstead-higo-micarta.1249402

It has been a known quantity for years. If anything is novel about this, it's that a second-hand buyer was actually called out for trying to get warranty repairs by falsely claiming to be the "original" owner.

The "registration" of Rockstead knives isn't a new phenomenon, and it often comes up in the Knife Exchange (either from the seller or as a question from a potential buyer). If you look at for sale posts from before WValtakis's posted his knife (May 8th), most of them address whether the knife was registered.

Here's one from 2017: "The knife is essentially brand new and has NOT BEEN REGISTERED YET with Rockstead, so if you choose to register it you will be the official owner as far as Rockstead is concerned...."
https://bladeforums.com/threads/both-are-sold-rockstead-chi-sold-ckf-gavko-spinner.1540867

Or maybe this one from 2015: "I never registered the knife, so whomever buys it will be able to register it to themselves."

It has been a known quantity for years. If anything is novel about this, it's that a second-hand buyer was actually called out for trying to get warranty repairs by falsely claiming to be the "original" owner.

Registering a knife as a second owner won't work. Oops! Your conjecture is foiled again.

Edited to add: Also, in what way is that not the same thing WValtakis WValtakis attempted (that you attempted to bag him for)? Registration is worthless if you aren't the initial buyer.

This misconception is EXACTLY the reason I made my thread in Feedback. Rockstead will NOT register a knife for anyone who cannot show that they are the original owner who purchased it from an AD. "Unregistered" on the secondary market means absolutely nothing...the warranty is void the second it is sold, manufacturer defects and all.

Last edited:

Who exactly are you arguing with now?

Yes registration is a long known thing and not something new or unique to Rockstead however what wasn't widely known is that unregistered means absolutely nothing as Rockstead requires proof you are the first owner to register it. I thought I covered that in my post if not sorry but hopefully now your on the same page as the rest of us and can now make statements that are relevant to the issue.

Yes registration is a long known thing and not something new or unique to Rockstead however what wasn't widely known is that unregistered means absolutely nothing as Rockstead requires proof you are the first owner to register it. I thought I covered that in my post if not sorry but hopefully now your on the same page as the rest of us and can now make statements that are relevant to the issue.

DING!!!

Facts. Facts are good. Conjecture and blaming isn't.

Registering a knife as a second owner won't work. Oops! Your conjecture is foiled again.

Edited to add: Also, in what way is that not the same thing WValtakis WValtakis attempted (that you attempted to bag him for)? Registration is worthless if you aren't the initial buyer.

Who exactly are you arguing with now?

The post was in response to these two assertions:
"In the 2ndary market it isn't well known, or wasn't, that buying a pre-owned Rockstead meant you had no warranty and no one advertises as such or advertises some indication that the new owner will be able to register it as if they were the initial owner."​

The second one is clearly false, as shown by the for-sale posts I linked. Numerous sellers on BF are explicitly advertising Rockstead knives as "unregistered" to suggest (and in some cases outright say) that buyers will be able to register the knife as if they were the original owner and get warranty coverage under false pretense.

As to the first one, the warranty terms are very clear, so everyone understood that you weren't entitled to warranty coverage if you bought a used knife, so the fact that you'd have no warranty was known. Are trying to say that it's a surprise that Rockstead will deny warranty claims by people when they have clear evidence that they aren't entitled to warranty coverage?

This misconception is EXACTLY the reason I made my thread in Feedback. Rockstead will NOT register a knife for anyone who cannot show that they are the original owner who purchased it from an AD. "Unregistered" on the secondary market means absolutely nothing...the warranty is void the second it is sold.

This strikes me as primarily an issue with Knife Exchange sellers rather than Rockstead. It's unfortunate that you ended up as the cautionary tale that shows Rockstead is wise to the "unregistered" second-hand knife gambit. Given the strictness with which BF's rules are enforced, actually I'm surprised that sales posts that encourage trying to skirt a warranty policy are allowed.

And I do agree with you that Rockstead isn't completely blameless if they shipped a knife in that condition, which is probably the most disappointing thing for me. Rockstead is a company that people expect perfection from, and the flaws in the wood fall way short.

"In the 2ndary market it isn't well known, or wasn't, that buying a pre-owned Rockstead meant you had no warranty and no one advertises as such or advertises some indication that the new owner will be able to register it as if they were the initial owner."​

The second one is clearly false, as shown by the for-sale posts I linked. Numerous sellers on BF are explicitly advertising Rockstead knives as "unregistered" to suggest (and in some cases outright say) that buyers will be able to register the knife as if they were the original owner and get warranty coverage under false pretense.

As to the first one, the warranty terms are very clear, so everyone understood that you weren't entitled to warranty coverage if you bought a used knife, so the fact that you'd have no warranty was known. Are trying to say that it's a surprise that Rockstead will deny warranty claims by people when they have clear evidence that they aren't entitled to warranty coverage?

This strikes me as primarily an issue with Knife Exchange sellers rather than Rockstead. It's unfortunate that you ended up as the cautionary tale that shows Rockstead is wise to the "unregistered" second-hand knife gambit. Given the strictness with which BF's rules are enforced, actually I'm surprised that sales posts that encourage trying to skirt a warranty policy are allowed.

And I do agree with you that Rockstead isn't completely blameless if they shipped a knife in that condition, which is probably the most disappointing thing for me. Rockstead is a company that people expect perfection from, and the flaws in the wood fall way short.

One sec, I cleared off a space on this side of the table. Welcome.

-snip-Are trying to say that it's a surprise that Rockstead will deny warranty claims by people when they have clear evidence that they aren't entitled to warranty coverage?

-snip-

Also: No one has said anything other than that it's complete garbage for a company to care more about avoiding responsibility for fixing a manufacturing flaw, than they do about fixing it. No matter how anyone who reads this thread and tries to come down on Rockstead's side tries to spin it, that is ultimately what happened here. Also, you even alluded to this yourself, plenty of Rocksteads ARE sold to collectors. However, knife collectors see certain knives (types as well as companies) as investments, and knowing that they can move a knife along if it doesn't suit them, or they need to put some money back in their pocket towards another purchase is part of the allure for them in buying those certain companies' products. There are plenty of people who can afford the several hundred dollars* for a new Rockstead. Many of these people are going to think twice, now knowing clearly that they most likely won't find a buyer without a significant discount. I certainly won't ever buy a Rockstead due to that fact alone, and I know I'm not alone. Why would I purchase a knife like that knowing I was stuck with it? And on the other side of that coin, I absolutely would not buy a used Rockstead under any circumstances.

This understanding should be in every used Rockstead thread. I imagine quite a few people trying to sell them on the Exchange would be mad, but hey, that's on them, right? And I bet you ten bucks that dudes who can't sell their used Rocksteads without taking a MASSIVE bath on it, probably won't buy one ever again.

* Which, as it happens, is quite a lot less than the $3,000+ number you tossed out yesterday, as though the only people who buy Rocksteads are guys who own private jets and wear Patek Philippes. Hilarious, incorrect, and hilariously incorrect.

Sorry, but this seems like you are just trying to argue. I'm not down. Peace out.

You linked post that prove very much the highlighted portion on my quoted text where it was advertised as unregistered and the buyer could register as if they were first owner. Note the or in what you highlighted the not mentioned or indicating you can register it which you will not be able to do or doing so would be fraud according to you.

You linked post that prove very much the highlighted portion on my quoted text where it was advertised as unregistered and the buyer could register as if they were first owner. Note the or in what you highlighted the not mentioned or indicating you can register it which you will not be able to do or doing so would be fraud according to you.
@EatingSarma dude can you please chime in and tell this guy why you bought Esee fixed blade in 1095 and give him piece of your mind on what does warranty mean to some consumers, also feel free to say what you think about this sitation.

I wanted to mention you here, so I concluded it's the best you tell them yourself.

Back