Rockstead Knowledge Thread

I’m really not sure why you quoted me. I am trying to show Mr OrangeBlue that he has only shown examples that prove our complaints.

I do believe Rocksteady has every right to make their warranty how they see fit and enforce it as strictly as they choose. I do not see any value in Rockstead’s warranty so they are not worth the price being asked by them or by the 2ndary market. If you want to talk about Esee fine but not really sure where they fit into this I am honestly not terribly familiar with their warranty but they also do not sell hugely expensive knives where the warranty should be a major selling point.

So I remember reading this thread in the past. It is kinda wild one.

Let's talk about warranty. Warranty is kind of direct contact of the company with their consumer.
What made me pull the trigger or Esee instead of Cold Steel or some of other known and tested brands was the warranty.
You see, guys at Esee got you covered if you ever need it. They put me as a consumer on first place. They care about my satisfaction and not just about my money.
Warranty also shows me how much confidence company has in their product. With Esee - I know they stand behind their product 100%. No questions asked, no registration or even receip needed.
Amazing company and amazing people I want to support for more than fair practice they have!

Now Rockstead. Despite the hefty price tag, they will be more than glad to avoid responsibility whenever they can. If I bought some of their fixed blades, and had their extremley hard steel chip or break on me during chopping or batoning - they would probably leave me stranded.
If you can charge that much for a knife, then let a knife with cracked scales go out of your shop then you have a problem.
And avoiding responsibility plus catching people online just makes it worse.
They just want your money. I would never want to support such people.
I also however wouldn't even buy their product at a first place.

But yes, I'm the one of people who care about warranty, company reputation and how they treat their customers. And I know there's more people like me out there.

Rockstead's been open about their warranty for years. It sucks. It also sucks you need to ship it back to Japan to get that signature polished edge sharpened. Two good reasons not to buy their knives, whether new or used.

Nah...I'll just beat the snot out of mine, maybe give it a hollow regrind:eek::cool:

Do it! I’m, just happy to see the knife is functional despite the handle issue.

I only speak out because this thread took a nosedive over a chip in a WOOD scale shipped overSEAS. That was a potential red flag to me.
How many people here own a Rockstead with warranty and have never shipped it off?

I don’t think Rockstead is getting a fair shake due to overwhelming group thought.

regardless I’m a fan and enjoy BF, the input from people all over the world and often times a place to discuss an idea from different view points.

Good day everyone! I’m new here and if I may would like to ask a question. Does anybody know the complete list of Rockstead folding knives been produced?

Last edited:
Good day everyone! I’m new here and if I may would like to ask a question. Dose anybody know the complete list of Rockstead folding knives been produced?
Here is a link to the Rockstead site's page for folders; I assume that it does not include every model ever produced as one model, the Nihan, is a re-release and the original is not listed. And the other Sinkevich collaboration is missing

Last edited:
Rockstead's new folding knife, the Ren ZDP, is to be released in September along with a fixed blade, the Don T ZDP. The Ren has a carbon fiber presentation side scale and a titanium frame lock. *I just noticed the Ren is already for sale; it is not a flipper although I'm sure I saw mention of a Rockstead flipper somewhere.
bdc2ac177c2365920fab048c8401adc3089a8cc7.jpg

95cc373648b6b66aa824b1a5afc3789b98b6747a.jpg

3d9f30926802e10be03b0421fa0aebd60d347f85.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone here, as a second hand owner tried to register a previously unregistered knife? If so, was the registration accepted?

Considering Rockstead's stringent warranty policy, and that they 'actively' browse these forums, what sort of second-hand owner would admit to registering their knife? Wouldn't that be essentially risking to void their warranty?

Considering Rockstead's stringent warranty policy, and that they 'actively' browse these forums, what sort of second-hand owner would admit to registering their knife? Wouldn't that be essentially risking to void their warranty?

The kind that tried and had it rejected.

The kind that tried and had it rejected.

Yep, I just found out after reading through the rest of the posts. Took a while to get through. Very educational.

I've been considering buying one of their fixed blades for some time now. But after learning of WValtakis' incident, I may have to reconsider. For the kind of price Rockstead charge, I was expecting them to stand behind their product irrespective of the ownership.

As far as I know, Rockstead is the only manufacturer that sells proper zero convex blades. Are there others? If so, please point me in the right direction.

I don’t think Rockstead is getting a fair shake due to overwhelming group thought.

The way I read it, a lot of people who can't afford a Rockstead like to moan about them, but the happy owners (like me) can't be bothered to engage with the critics. What's the point? They don't make any sense. All I have to do to make me smile is use my Rockstead. Arguing with people here is comparatively unrewarding!

I was expecting them to stand behind their product irrespective of the ownership.

That's so daft as to be moronic. If you make an expensive product which is often damaged by the owner, as is true of any knife, you will get a lot of false, dishonest warranty claims if you allow the warranty to be transferred to subsequent owners. The cost to Rockstead would be huge and prices woukld have to go up. Honest owners would have to subsidise the fools and liars who talk nonsense in this forum. Screw that! Actually I think anyone who criticises Rockstead's warranty policy should be barred from being a customer. They're obviously too stupid and too untrustworthy to be allowed anywhere near such beautiful craftsmanship.

For what it's worth, Rockstead is not the only manufacturer with such a warranty. Benchmade also does it. Spyderco's warranty is somewhat vaguely worded, but they also seem to be in the same boat on this. Perhaps this kind of warranty is a fairly standard practice among knife manufacturers out there? Damned if I know. All of this is new to me. It's not like I read what's covered in the warranty every time I buy a product.

That's so daft as to be moronic. ... I think anyone who criticises Rockstead's warranty policy should be barred from being a customer. They're obviously too stupid and too untrustworthy to be allowed anywhere near such beautiful craftsmanship.

Great idea. Let's ban all "dafts" and "morons" from this forum, forever bar them from being a Rockstead customer, and exile them all straight to North Korean labor-camp for the rest of their life! How dare they question Rockstead's flawless and divine craftsmanship! Anyone who holds Rockstead in anything less than absolute stellar highest regard and in total awe, should be put to death by lethal injection. That should include a newbie like me who started knife collection as a hobby only two weeks ago. NO EXCEPTIONS! Almighty Nick H. said so.

When I log in to BladeForums tomorrow, I expect my account to be banned and my IP address forever blocked from ever visiting the Rockstead website.

In all due respect, it appears that they did let out some knives with defects that should have been taken care of before those knives were sent to the market.
They've just used warranty policy as an excuse not to have to deal with those issues and claim warranty for something they should have.

Price is what it is, if you are willing to pay for it - you will. But about warranty forcing prices go up even higher is ridiculous, as if profit margin on those isn't insanley high already.

Now about their craftsmanship - it's breath taking (except models with cracked scales for example), but people buy Rockstead for premium feel, and sharp edge that stays that way for a long time. They're however far from real user blade as for some models they even say how chopping isn't reccomended.
This isn't a knife you'll use to chop with, baton it or pretty much so any harder task you'd do with even 40-50€ plain carbon steel knife.

Unless you are rich as hell Rocksteads won't really be user knives, and even if you are and use them that way, well, don't be surprised if they don't hold up to some more abusive tasks.
Light use EDC is fine, but to be used as camp or survival knife - that'll be a no.

That's so daft as to be moronic. If you make an expensive product which is often damaged by the owner, as is true of any knife, you will get a lot of false, dishonest warranty claims if you allow the warranty to be transferred to subsequent owners. The cost to Rockstead would be huge and prices woukld have to go up. Honest owners would have to subsidise the fools and liars who talk nonsense in this forum. Screw that! Actually I think anyone who criticises Rockstead's warranty policy should be barred from being a customer. They're obviously too stupid and too untrustworthy to be allowed anywhere near such beautiful craftsmanship.

^ That's so daft as to be moronic :confused:

Back