Rockstead Knowledge Thread

The way I read it, a lot of people who can't afford a Rockstead like to moan about them, but the happy owners (like me) can't be bothered to engage with the critics. What's the point? They don't make any sense. All I have to do to make me smile is use my Rockstead. Arguing with people here is comparatively unrewarding!

You can’t be bothered, yet you make passive aggressive comments towards those with issues and chalk it up as “Oh, those people can’t afford a Rockstead”.

LOL... Who are you? Because I’ll tell you what, I remember you coming here asking about which Rockstead you should use for camping, asking 21 questions about said knives. If you can afford these knives like you act like you do, why even come ask us for suggestions?

Go to Instagram if you want to brag about what you think you can afford. You’re a small time joker if you have an ego from carrying a slightly expensive knife :rolleyes:

That's so daft as to be moronic. If you make an expensive product which is often damaged by the owner, as is true of any knife, you will get a lot of false, dishonest warranty claims if you allow the warranty to be transferred to subsequent owners. The cost to Rockstead would be huge and prices woukld have to go up. Honest owners would have to subsidise the fools and liars who talk nonsense in this forum. Screw that! Actually I think anyone who criticises Rockstead's warranty policy should be barred from being a customer. They're obviously too stupid and too untrustworthy to be allowed anywhere near such beautiful craftsmanship.

Again, LOL...

Your ignorance is overshadowed by your lack of discipline.

That's so daft as to be moronic. If you make an expensive product which is often damaged by the owner, as is true of any knife, you will get a lot of false, dishonest warranty claims if you allow the warranty to be transferred to subsequent owners.
Only thing mororinc about Rockstead is how easy to damage they are despite their price being ridiculous...

I can respect Rockstead's policy and I understand why. However I think it's f-ed up. I think a lot of people feel the same and it has discouraged many from buying one new and especially used. For those prices many people like to buy, barely use, then roll it over for something "new and completely different."

Oh damn... my account's still active. Didn't get banned. And I can still visit Rockstead's website. Oh well.

Here's interesting info: Every time I email Rockstead, I get a reply from someone named "Anton Malyshenko" at JTC Inc. Jewell Technical Consulting firm (JTC Inc.) has branches worldwide, and there's a branch office right here on the east coast in Virginia. Judging by Anton's name and broken English, I sense that his primary language is neither English nor Japanese. Combined with the fact that all of the YouTube videos of knife reviews on Rockstead website are in some kind of Eastern European language, I wonder what percentage of Rockstead/JTC employees are really Japanese natives.

Whatever the case, if you want a beautifully crafted perfectly symmetrical convex grind in a perfect mirror-finish, Rockstead is the only game in town. As far as I know, there are no other manufacturers out there who can fill this niche market. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

I'm no knife expert, but I think the reason why Rockstead knives are so insanely sharp is that their apex-width is extremely narrow. Narrow width would mean very tiny contact area at the edge. Thus even with a moderate amount of applied force, the edge pressure would be tremendous. Metals would ordinarily buckle/deform at such pressure unless its hardness is high enough to withstand it. Thus Rockstead's solution is to give their ZDP189 a 'proprietary' heat treatment to an insanely high 67+ HRC.

However, ZDP189 is known to have relatively poor edge stability at acute angles. Rockstead's solution: Increase the apex-angle to 30 dps (60 deg inclusive) and put honzukuri profile (Zero-Convex) from mid-line of the blade all the way down to the edge without any secondary bevel. This accomplishes two things: 60 deg inclusive gives the edge much-needed stability under high pressure. Secondly, honzukuri profile gives the blade improved slicing performance by ridding of protruding primary/secondary bevel interface, thus allowing the blade to 'slip' through the material being cut with much less resistance.

Again, if I am wrong about any of this, feel free to correct me. I'm doing as much as I can to learn about knives but it's very difficult to find a single source of comprehensive knowledge.

I know Fallkniven also sells convex grind blades and they are also made in Japan.

But, I don't know much more details about that or how they compare to Rockstead, I just know Fallknivens are also expensive, but not nearly as expesive as Rockstead :D

Combined with the fact that all of the YouTube videos of knife reviews on Rockstead website are in some kind of Eastern European language, I wonder what percentage of Rockstead/JTC employees are really Japanese natives.

Rocksteads are made by Ishida Kougyou (Ishida Industries) located in Sakai, Osaka Prefecture with 30 employees。Company was established by founder Yasukichi Ishida in March 1948, manufacturing cutlery for agricultural and home applications. In 1976 they launched their engineering division which continues to this day. Sakai is a well known Cutlery center in Japan along with several others.
While there certainly may be non-Japanese workers employed under work-visas, I think it's a safe bet to say that they are mostly, if not all, Japanese natives. JTC sounds like it may be am Eastern European based marketing group

Last edited:
I know Fallkniven also sells convex grind blades and they are also made in Japan.
But, I don't know much more details about that or how they compare to Rockstead, I just know Fallknivens are also expensive, but not nearly as expesive as Rockstead :D

Fallkniven fixed blades are made by Ichiro Hattori, and their folders are made by Moki, both of Seki City, one of the most famous cutlery centers in Japan. Fallkniven knives, while expensive, can not be compared to Rockstead knives as they are too different in too many ways as they cater to different markets. Being made in Japan is about the only common denominator.

http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/29/fallkniven-of-boden-sweden/

Rockstead knives are more like jewelry than knives, sparkling and shining, to be admired and cherished than to be a practical EDC for the mass. Any slightest mishandling of their knife can have drastic and tragic consequences whereas Fallkniven knives are probably just high-quality craftsmanship with a convex grind that's still suitable for EDC.

Rockstead knives are more like jewelry than knives, sparkling and shining, to be admired and cherished than to be a practical EDC for the mass. Any slightest mishandling of their knife can have drastic and tragic consequences whereas Fallkniven knives are probably just high-quality craftsmanship with a convex grind that's still suitable for EDC.
Not just for EDC, but it seems that they can handle some pretty hard use based on reviews.

Just checked out some Fallkniven knives. They seem to be in the 58-62 range on the Rockwell scale.
Rockstead knives are in the 65-67 range, even higher if you opt for an 'upgrade' on the blade.

I am going to take a guess here that the reason why Rockstead knives are more delicate is due to embrittlement. When you boost steel's HRC to 67, it is done so usually at the expense of Toughness.

I've seen Rockstead videos of their blades chopping bamboo wood vigorously numerous times and still retains its razor-edge to slice more papers. But it is my knowledge that those blades were YXR7 steel (65 HRC). If one were to try that same stunt with a ZDP189 (67 HRC), would the edge chip? Something to think about.

Whatever the case, using a blade of such high hardness requires caution and skill. "Super-steel" is a very misleading term. There's nothing indestructible about ZDP189 at 67.8 HRC. Edge retention will be superb, but everything else will probably be very much subpar. And as long as the owner uses Rockstead knives for their intended purpose, I don't think they'll experience any problems.

I've seen Rockstead videos of their blades chopping bamboo wood vigorously numerous times and still retains its razor-edge to slice more papers. But it is my knowledge that those blades were YXR7 steel (65 HRC). If one were to try that same stunt with a ZDP189 (67 HRC), would the edge chip? Something to think about.
I would really like to see those vids, I was literally looking for them all over youtube with no luck. I'd appreciate to get to see it.
Since 3V can also chop dry bamboo and keep razor edge for quite a while, I'd really like to see comparsion of 3V to that.

And I agree with you that such hardness is attained at cost of toughness.
Whatever the case, using a blade of such high hardness requires caution and skill. "Super-steel" is a very misleading term. There's nothing indestructible about ZDP189 at 67.8 HRC. Edge retention will be superb, but everything else will probably be very much subpar. And as long as the owner uses Rockstead knives for their intended purpose, I don't think they'll experience any problems.
I agree.
Just checked out some Fallkniven knives. They seem to be in the 58-62 range on the Rockwell scale.
Rockstead knives are in the 65-67 range, even higher if you opt for an 'upgrade' on the blade.
Yeah, Fallknivens provenly can take the beating and were intended as user blades, only touching points are Japan and convex edge.

I would really like to see those vids, I was literally looking for them all over youtube with no luck. I'd appreciate to get to see it.

Here you go: https://www.rockstead.jp/movie/

There are a few more videos not listed on that web page linked above, but those have more to do with model-specific 'reviews' if you can call them that - the commentaries, if any, are in a foreign language (eastern European?) that I can't understand. For instance, if you view Rockstead KEI-ZDP model, below the item descriptions, you will see two tabs - "Specifications" and "Video". Select the Video tab, you will be able to find this:

Enjoy your videos.

Here you go: https://www.rockstead.jp/movie/

There are a few more videos not listed on that web page linked above, but those have more to do with model-specific 'reviews' if you can call them that - the commentaries, if any, are in a foreign language (eastern European?) that I can't understand. For instance, if you view Rockstead KEI-ZDP model, below the item descriptions, you will see two tabs - "Specifications" and "Video". Select the Video tab, you will be able to find this:

Enjoy your videos.
Thank you very much! I appreciate this :)

Sharpness and edge retention are definitley impressive, however toughness, not so much from seen videos.
I guess I'm just used to the way youtubers or Cold Steel make videos (actual torture tests).

I'd say they are tough enough to get by, chopping green bamboo without damage or dulling is a feat that many cheaper knives can do.
Another video with much lighter whacks into dry bamboo is also nothing imrpessive.

Rockstead does make good knives, but they aren't user knives, they are more like jewels.
If I was going to nature, and knew I'd need a knife I may depend on for either survival, bushcraft, camping or anything similar, I'd pick either Cold Steel, Morakniv, ESEE, Fallkniven or many other brands over Rockstead.

The way I read it, a lot of people who can't afford a Rockstead like to moan about them, but the happy owners (like me) can't be bothered to engage with the critics. What's the point? They don't make any sense. All I have to do to make me smile is use my Rockstead. Arguing with people here is comparatively unrewarding!

Actually, the folks you're ignorantly attempting to paint with a broad brush (like me) have knife collections that would crush yours in value. I own multiple knives that cost me what picking up a couple of Rocksteads would have run, so you can save the "They just can't afford it!" nonsense.

That's so daft as to be moronic. If you make an expensive product which is often damaged by the owner, as is true of any knife, you will get a lot of false, dishonest warranty claims if you allow the warranty to be transferred to subsequent owners. The cost to Rockstead would be huge and prices woukld have to go up. Honest owners would have to subsidise the fools and liars who talk nonsense in this forum. Screw that! Actually I think anyone who criticises Rockstead's warranty policy should be barred from being a customer. They're obviously too stupid and too untrustworthy to be allowed anywhere near such beautiful craftsmanship.

Interesting point of view. :rolleyes:

It seems the level of ... enthusiasm for Rockstead knives here has dropped somewhat since the warranty incident.

I am going to guess that those who are/were interested in Rockstead are/were in it for three things: insanely high HRC, convex grind, and beautiful mirror-finish. Of these three, it's the latter that I wish to mention here. If you are into that sort of thing, then chances are you already have tried or have plans in the near future to mirror-polish a knife. Not an ordinary knife but those made of materials that are high in carbides, particularly vanadium carbide.

Just recently I decided to start my very first project - bringing that flawless mirror-finish to my M390 knife. Not just the edge but the ENTIRE blade. The spine, false-edge, and the primary & secondary bevels. So it is no ordinary undertaking, a task that I would feel better treading with the advice from those who have experience in polishing carbide-rich alloys.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but ... mirror-finish is strongly tied to Rockstead. So there is some relevance there much like an elephant vs a sparrow in the sense that both are Carbon-based lifeforms. There is already a thread titled, "Mirror polishing M390?" in the Knifemaker's Discussion subforum. Unfortunately, that entire section hardly sees much traffic. So I am mentioning it here in order to get some experienced knife-polishers who might happen to be frequenting this thread, however remote that might be, to contribute and hopefully pass on some your wisdom so that my very first project doesn't turn into a complete disaster.

Thanks!

It seems the level of ... enthusiasm for Rockstead knives here has dropped somewhat since the warranty incident.

I am going to guess that those who are/were interested in Rockstead are/were in it for three things: insanely high HRC, convex grind, and beautiful mirror-finish. Of these three, it's the latter that I wish to mention here. If you are into that sort of thing, then chances are you already have tried or have plans in the near future to mirror-polish a knife. Not an ordinary knife but those made of materials that are high in carbides, particularly vanadium carbide.

Just recently I decided to start my very first project - bringing that flawless mirror-finish to my M390 knife. Not just the edge but the ENTIRE blade. The spine, false-edge, and the primary & secondary bevels. So it is no ordinary undertaking, a task that I would feel better treading with the advice from those who have experience in polishing carbide-rich alloys.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but ... mirror-finish is strongly tied to Rockstead. So there is some relevance there much like an elephant vs a sparrow in the sense that both are Carbon-based lifeforms. There is already a thread titled, "Mirror polishing M390?" in the Knifemaker's Discussion subforum. Unfortunately, that entire section hardly sees much traffic. So I am mentioning it here in order to get some experienced knife-polishers who might happen to be frequenting this thread, however remote that might be, to contribute and hopefully pass on some your wisdom so that my very first project doesn't turn into a complete disaster.

Thanks!

For the record, Olamic offers a mirror finish that's beautiful, and unlike Bumstead, they won't be like "Who? NEVERHEARD'A YA" when or if you need something repaired being a secondary owner.

Back