Rockstead Sharpening Help

So I just ordered a Rockstead Higo with the DLC coated blade in the YXR7 blade steel. This isn't my first Rockstead I've owned but it will be the first one I use and sharpen myself. My question is has anyone ever reprofiled their Rocksteads? How do you suggest I go about sharpening it when the time comes?

A little info about my setup; I own the Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro Sharpener. I have 100, 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 Diamond Grit stones for it. I also have the Ceramic 1200 and 1600 stones as well. This setup wasn't cheap and I would like to use it on the Rockstead.

I also have the 5, 3.5, 1, .5 micron leather strops as well.

With all my other knives I have successfully reprofiled the edge and put a mirror polished edge on them. Just a little hesitant on my New (very expensive) Rockstead. Has anyone done this before? Any tips? What type of grind and edge do the Higos typically come with? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

i think they offer sharpening for free. their edges are unmatchable.
but if you want to do it yourself. go all the way up to 3000 grit. 17 dps per side , that is if you want to reprofile it .

i think they offer sharpening for free. their edges are unmatchable.
but if you want to do it yourself. go all the way up to 3000 grit. 17 dps per side , that is if you want to reprofile it .

I considered just sending it back for sharpening but how long and how difficult would it be to send it to them for sharpening? Would I have to send it overseas? Or do they have a place state side I'm not aware of?

So I just ordered a Rockstead Higo with the DLC coated blade in the YXR7 blade steel. This isn't my first Rockstead I've owned but it will be the first one I use and sharpen myself. My question is has anyone ever reprofiled their Rocksteads? How do you suggest I go about sharpening it when the time comes?

A little info about my setup; I own the Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro Sharpener. I have 100, 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 Diamond Grit stones for it. I also have the Ceramic 1200 and 1600 stones as well. This setup wasn't cheap and I would like to use it on the Rockstead.

I also have the 5, 3.5, 1, .5 micron leather strops as well.

With all my other knives I have successfully reprofiled the edge and put a mirror polished edge on them. Just a little hesitant on my New (very expensive) Rockstead. Has anyone done this before? Any tips? What type of grind and edge do the Higos typically come with? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure all of the recent Higo's have the honzukuri grind, which is a convex zero grind. In this case, the Wicked Edge will be of little use. I recommend getting very high grit sandpaper and a flexible backing. I use a 0.3 micron polishing paper to touch the edge up, then strop it.

I'm pretty sure all of the recent Higo's have the honzukuri grind, which is a convex zero grind. In this case, the Wicked Edge will be of little use. I recommend getting very high grit sandpaper and a flexible backing. I use a 0.3 micron polishing paper to touch the edge up, then strop it.

For stropping do you use leather or denim? What do you mean by flexible backing?

For stropping do you use leather or denim? What do you mean by flexible backing?

I use a denim strop with metal paste like Rockstead recommends. A flexible backing, like a foam sanding block, which will allow the polishing paper to compress and follow the contour of the convex grind.

If I had a WE setup like yours, I wouldn't be concerned about reprofiling any knife.

What type of grind and edge do the Higos typically come with?
:eek:
You bought such a very expenisve knife without researching this first?!

I use a denim strop with metal paste like Rockstead recommends. A flexible backing, like a foam sanding block, which will allow the polishing paper to compress and follow the contour of the convex grind.

Thanks, I'll have to try and find something that mimics that technique.

If I had a WE setup like yours, I wouldn't be concerned about reprofiling any knife.

:eek:
You bought such a very expenisve knife without researching this first?!

I'm open to suggestions for techniques on how to properly sharpen this knife. I know my WE sharpener isn't the end all to knife sharpening; just stating what I had to work with.

As far as research goes I did so. But, like Misanthropia stated there has been different grinds on previous models. I was getting a lot of mixed information on what the knife would actually come with. It's a good thing I spent my money and nobody else's to buy the knife.

I'm open to suggestions and info concerning the topic I posted about. However, I am not open to critisum on a subject that doesn't directly affect you.

Last edited:
I'm open to suggestions for techniques on how to properly sharpen this knife. I know my WE sharpener isn't the end all to knife sharpening; just stating what I had to work with.

As far as research goes I did so. But, like Misanthropia stated there has been different grinds on previous models. I was getting a lot of mixed information on what the knife would actually come with. It's a good thing I spent my money and nobody else's to buy the knife.

I'm open to suggestions and info concerning the topic I posted about. However, I am not open to critisum on a subject that doesn't directly affect you.

Why not contact the manufacturer? From Buck to Spyderco most makers have a recommended home sharpening method.

Internet wisdom isn't always spot on. For example, some say Chris Reeve puts a convex edge on their knives. However, the company recommends the Spyderco Sharpmaker which doesn't do convex edges. The internet experts then counter with, "its a slight convex edge, you should maintain this 'original convex edge' with sandpaper on a mouse pad." Who you gonna believe...the internet savants or Chris Reeve?

It's not magic, it's a pocket knife. Mystical clamshell double angle convex approximation or not, you can sharpen these knives the same way you can sharpen any other.

As Ricky would say, it's not rocket appliances. ;)

It's not magic, it's a pocket knife. Mystical clamshell double angle convex approximation or not, you can sharpen these knives the same way you can sharpen any other.

As Ricky would say, it's not rocket appliances. ;)

I mean, you could sharpen it like any conventional flat or hollow ground knife with a secondary bevel, but it would be enormously time consuming to grind a secondary bevel into the zero convex grind of the Rockstead. And then you would lose out on one of the major selling points of the honzukuri Rocksteads, which is the zero grind.

Check under custom shop services offered.
Look for razor edge knife sharpening.
Without major sharpening skills don't even try it doesn't matter what setup you have. You picked a very difficult knife to sharpen your self unless you're very experienced.

I think some of the users posting don't have an idea about what a Convex Zero Grind truly is. It's not like a Chris Reeve convex edge. If i were to simply just resharpen the Rockstead like any other knife; it would totally screw up the blade. The one thing Rockstead is known for.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Rockstead makes very nice knives, but they're not necessarily ground breaking because they use aluminum for handles. They're famous for they're blades and how well they cut and perform. I just don't want to dick this thing up.

On a lighter note, I received the knife today. Like I stated before that this isn't my first Rockstead I've owned. However, this will be the first one I use and abuse myself. I picked it up New from BladeHQ and I was amazed to see a Rockstead cloth that I've never seen before. This may not be a new thing but it's news to me.

Here are a couple pics to spice up the thread.

IMG_20170228_093820_856_zpsrtgnmjfw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are some pics of the DLC coated blade with the Convex grind that I'll be taking on here after some use.

20170228_171056_zpsr8pdgegs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170228_171033_zps9jrzg5w6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, here are some things I picked up for sharpening. I seen a YouTube video of a guy sharpening his Rocksteads using these tools.

20170228_170922_zpssnhossbc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2000 Grit Wet or dry sandpaper and a hand held sander with a foam backing. The only thing I couldn't find was Mineral oil for the sandpaper. The guy in the video used mineral oil when sharpening but I could not find any in the hardware store. Any suggestions on where and what type of mineral oil to use? Maybe a specific brand? Would I be better of purchasing the mineral oil online?

With some practice, convex zero grinds are very easy to free hand sharpen. I don't own a sharpmaker, but I own the triangle rods and use them freehand which work great!! Fine grit sandpaper and strop work good for refined edges too. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy. Easy to maintain the edge if you keep the edge sharp, and don't let it get very dull. Frequent touch ups. With that steel and HT, you may not need to very often though, just whenever you feel it losing its cutting ability.

Congrats on the Rockstead, probably shouldn't have to sharpen it for a while. I see a Rockstead in my future, Nice Picts.

I think some of the users posting don't have an idea about what a Convex Zero Grind truly is. It's not like a Chris Reeve convex edge. If i were to simply just resharpen the Rockstead like any other knife; it would totally screw up the blade. The one thing Rockstead is known for.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Rockstead makes very nice knives, but they're not necessarily ground breaking because they use aluminum for handles. They're famous for they're blades and how well they cut and perform. I just don't want to dick this thing up.

There is absolutely nothing magical about the shape of Rockstead edges. Approximated clamshell convex, actual convex, I'm pretty sure most knife nuts know how to handle a convex edge. It's not magic.

Their convex approximation consists of two top secret angles--no wait, they tell you right on their website. Thirty degrees for the steep outer angles, twenty-four degrees for the wider edge angle. You can sharpen these knives because they're just knives, not magical light saber katanas imbued with mystical power. Just knives.

Back