1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rockwell Testing of Blades

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by M. Johnwell, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:43 PM.

1. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I see people asking about the hardness of various knives all the time, I just thought it would be nice to have a compilation of any blades which I or any of you have tested.

My results come from Wilson hardness testers in the metrology lab or heat treating lab at my college and I will update this list as I test more knives. The ones in the metrology lab is dead on according to the test samples. The one on the heat treating lab reads approximately 1.5 points low on a 62.9 RC test block. I will denote those readings with an *, and add the estimated actual hardness in parentheses afterwards so you can take the information however you wish.

Spyderco
    Stretch (superblue)—64.5
    Urban (k390)—61* (62.5)
    Mantra (m4)—62
    Pm2 (m4)—60.5

Steel Will
    Modus (m390)—57.5* (59)

Benchmade
    Mini Ritter (m390)—57

William Henry
    E10-3 (m390)—59* (60.5)

Mo2, willc, miso2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
  3. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I usually only take one or two tests per knife. I know it’s not technically proper, but I carry all of my knives (and some of them are my friends’ knives) and I don’t really want them to look like Swiss cheese after I’m done.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    fair enough. Not sure if the numbers could be off because of that but it's great anyways. Thank you.

5. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    You’re welcome!

If there’s any that you’d like me to retest, I’d be happy to. Assuming they’re my knives and the honeymoon period/any resale value has worn off, I’d be willing to test them again.

6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I am surprised the Benchmade m390 was so low.

7. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I was too. It was an early Mini Ritter and they were known to run a little soft. Using and sharpening it feels kind of like VG-10, and it dulls pretty quickly, so I don’t think it’s completely off, but I might check it.

8. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I can appreciate that...I hadn't thought about multiple dimples... :)
    Your data may or may not be spot on, but probably close enuf to be in the proper region. thank you.