Rodent 4/6, Ratmandu CG or SYKCO 511/711?

Father & Son Traditional Sharpening

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I am looking for a survival/bushcraft/camping knife to fit my medium sized hands. I am having a VERY hard time deciding between Rodent 4/6, Ratmandu CG and SYKCO 511/711.:confused: I would PREFER to only buy one knife to fill these roles, and understand that compromises are made with this approach. My thoughts are that 3/16" thickness, and 4-7" blade length would be a good compromise as I don't need a MAJOR chopper(I have a folding pocket saw). I also intend on pairing this with a Scrapivore necker or multitool for the delicate tasks. Any input would be MUCH appreciated for those who are experienced with these types of knives.:D

Last edited:
RMD or SYKCO 711...different sizes of course, but both are awesome. The RMD is very versatile because of the size. 711 is nice because of a little more heft to it and the handles. Tough choice, but if you could only have one knife I would pick the RMD.

I have to agree that the RMD is a most excellent choice! However, especially if you don't already own a neck knife, I'd also seriously consider a SYKCo 511/Scrapivore combo for about the same price as a RMD. Same steel and thickness, Res-C handle on the 511, fantastic warranty as with all Busse & kin blades...what's not to like? I guess it would (again!) all come down to personal preference regarding handle material and shape, and off course the blade grind.

I'd rather not go for anything larger like the 711; since you have a saw and axe at the ready, you don't need the extra heft (= more weight to carry, bigger blade = more money to spend). Just my € 0,02 :D

D-R

I just had this problem I went with the 711. I have had 5.5 blade that came up short one to many times let it go for a 711. Which I feel is also as big as I will go. A big knife can do things a small can. But a small knife can't do things a big can. Also I like the res c handle for the task that are required for this size knife. I also carry a 3" blade for fine work as you carry a neck knife. But it is all a matter of opinion. The RMD just looks awesome but the 711 looks like a tank and I plan on treating it that way. I would like a skinny RMD down the road but founds are limited.

What size axe and saw are you carrying? And why are you even carrying the axe? What you carry may be personal preference, but I have yet to take a camping trip where an axe was required - my Cattaraugus 225Q, comparable to an RMD, coupled with a stout baton located on site has always been sufficient for whatever tasks I might have otherwise used an axe for, and it's both lighter and safer to use and easier to pack. If you really need a longer/heavier blade, stepping up to the 711 or even the Rodent 9 (or other comparable blades) would suit and even further obviate an axe. Saw, small knife or multitool, large knife - done. If you are in thick brush / jungle environment, maybe trade out the large knife for a machete or just add a light machete to the pack.

My $0.02 from my own experiences.

"What size axe and saw are you carrying? And why are you even carrying the axe?"

I have a folding pocket saw I can carry easily if I see the need for it. Also, I have an Estwing Fireside Friend and 26" Camp Axe that I bring when base camping. I live in Michigan, so wood processing is a priority here in the winter months.

"If you really need a longer/heavier blade, stepping up to the 711 or even the Rodent 9 (or other comparable blades) would suit and even further obviate an axe. Saw, small knife or multitool, large knife - done."

I can't really argue with the logic behind this statement, 711 + Scrapivore/multi-tool + Pocket Saw seems like a pretty good solution to me. It seems that a 2 5/8' blade paired with anything under 6" might not be the best choice. What would be a good reason to look at a 9" blade vs a 7" blade? Thanks for the input guys, definitely helping me narrow it down.

The longer 9" blade with be more efficient at limping, chopping, and acting as a draw knife. The scrapyard 911 doesn't add much more mass over the 711.

Say Heah Guy's,
I am alway's looking a way of improving my gear,and I noticed that improving the quality help's alot. I had the same question's you have about what would be the best knife to get or the combination of knives, I chose the Ratmandu, and the Rodent 9, even thought the Gerber isn't meant to be used as a neck knife I use it as such, I sowned the beltloop together except the very top I can put a heavy paracord through it and it hang's around my neck' it's a very light knife with S30V steel, usually my freind's and I do this together, so finding a G.B. small forest axe and a folding saw is in order. But if I was on a short outing, I feel very prepared with my gear I mentioned. to me most neck knives are too small, why not used a safety razor? I like something light around my neck and the three to me is just right. No question in my mind I can survive.
As you were Gentleman,
Paul'ie

Cannot go wrong with the 511. Pair it with a multitool and your saw and you are set. If you feel like you need something bigger then get the 911 later.

I have a 511, 711, RMD CG and would hands down vote for the RMD CG.

Its one of the two best Rats ever made (the other one being a Chopweiler).

I have an R4, R6 and RMD. If I had to choose between the three, it would be the RMD all day everyday. I love that knife.

I have an RMD CG, 511 and Scrapivore. Personally I think the RMD is the best all round camp knife I've ever laid eyes on, its just sexy! I also pack a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe for axe work (mandatory tool for backcountry northern Canadian forests), so the RMD is plenty long for what I ask it to do. You know you want one

I have a 511, 711, RMD CG and would hands down vote for the RMD CG.

Its one of the two best Rats ever made (the other one being a Chopweiler).

In my eyes not are these the best two Rats ever made but the best two knives to ever come from any of the Busse shops.

I am looking for a survival/bushcraft/camping knife to fit my medium sized hands. I am having a VERY hard time deciding between Rodent 4/6, Ratmandu CG and SYKCO 511/711.:confused: I would PREFER to only buy one knife to fill these roles, and understand that compromises are made with this approach. My thoughts are that 3/16" thickness, and 4-7" blade length would be a good compromise as I don't need a MAJOR chopper(I have a folding pocket saw). I also intend on pairing this with a Scrapivore necker or multitool for the delicate tasks. Any input would be MUCH appreciated for those who are experienced with these types of knives.:D

I would go with the RMD for sure if you want a 4-7 inch knife to go with a saw and Scrapivore.

RMD, can't go wrong. Rodent 6 is awesome also and the 711 will do anything you need. 511 if your hand is not too large and you want a lightweight knife.

Back