Rodent 4/6, Ratmandu CG or SYKCO 511/711?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Im planing on buying a RMD but I have some concerns..
How will the SR-101 respond to all the rain and snow i have in sweden?
Will it rust totally or can i have it on my combat gear out in the woods training with my group?

The thing is, most of the time we are all wet and muddy so i cant allways wipe the blade of :/
Oil is no prob. Allways carrying CLP.

I wipe my knives and guns down with CLP or RemOil and have never had rusting problems.

RMD
044.jpg

047.jpg

Picture035-2.jpg

IMG_8242-1.jpg

I have to go against the grain and say the 711 over the RMD. I've owned both. The Res-c is a better handle material, the extra 2 inches of blade makes it more versatile, the 1/4" thickness pops wood apart faster, and it can actually chop things if you needed to. It does this while only weighing about 3 ounces more. More then worth the trade off in weight for the superior functionality. I do wish the choil was round but I really haven't noticed it to be too uncomfortable. Besides like you I have a smaller knife for the kind of stuff that you would choke up on the blade for anyway.

Ratmandu. 511 handle too small for that knife. Biggest disappointment I have had from the yard. 711 perfect large belt knife. Ratmandu perfect medium sized belt knife. Have not owned a 611. 411 Nice small belt knife.

I'd agree that 511 is a bit of a misfire, he handle is just too small and makes it awkward in hand.

If you were looking to drop some weight off your gear than I'd go with 711, you leave the axe behind and use the 'Vore for smaller tasks. Unless you reprofile the 711 somewhat it is not a best cutter.
If you're keeping the axe then go with either RMD or R6 (you can get one from custom shop without the top guard, which will make it a bigger RMD). Both can cut and process smaller wood, there's plenty of folks who used RMD to dress game and I read a good review of R6 doing that just fine.
R4 might be smallish for some tasks, but is also a great knife.

I'd agree that 511 is a bit of a misfire, he handle is just too small and makes it awkward in hand.

If you were looking to drop some weight off your gear than I'd go with 711, you leave the axe behind and use the 'Vore for smaller tasks. Unless you reprofile the 711 somewhat it is not a best cutter.
If you're keeping the axe then go with either RMD or R6 (you can get one from custom shop without the top guard, which will make it a bigger RMD). Both can cut and process smaller wood, there's plenty of folks who used RMD to dress game and I read a good review of R6 doing that just fine.
R4 might be smallish for some tasks, but is also a great knife.

I recomend this for every single knife that comes from these companies to be honest. They're generally ground way too thick. To get the most out of the knife you need to send it to a custom maker to fix the edge.

I recomend this for every single knife that comes from these companies to be honest. They're generally ground way too thick. To get the most out of the knife you need to send it to a custom maker to fix the edge.

I wouldn't necessarily argue against the statement that most Bussekin edges are thick. However, they're not hard to reprofile on your own if you learn how to do it on a belt sander. In the end, buying a belt sander (and belts meant for metal) would cost you less than sending them off and paying someone else to do it, plus you don't have to be without your knife. The added benfit is that once you learn this skill, in very little time you can easily get and keep ALL of your knives razor sharp if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
Say Heah Guy, I'm so pleased with my Ratmandu, that when they had the drawing for the INFI Ratmandu, I actually Prayed, yup, I got one, and it came out alot better to my liking as far it has a thinner edge, it's like someone was reading my mind, although, I NEVER had any problems with my SR101 Ratmandu, I think it's awesome. I have almost a complete line of the newer Rodent knives, but I didn't like the tactical looking Rodent 6, now this knife has a thicker edge, so I called Trissy after I read that a Fellow Member had his Rodent 6 trimmed, well he had the top gaurd taken off, and another Fella even had a different tip put on his (drop point), so I contacted Trissy and she told me they can take the top gaurd off, so I even had it thinned down, it came out awesome, the best part is, the way the handle is on the Rodent 6 it allows me to even chop better with it, for a 6"+ blade it's a excellent chopper, infact I'm thinking of having the same thing done to the Team Gemini, I bet that will be so kewl, anyhow it's a real big choice now which knife to take with me into the bush, really a tough choice.

so I even had it thinned down, it came out awesome, the best part is, the way the handle is on the Rodent 6 it allows me to even chop better with it, for a 6"+ blade it's a excellent chopper, infact I'm thinking of having the same thing done to the Team Gemini, I bet that will be so kewl, anyhow it's a real big choice now which knife to take with me into the bush, really a tough choice.

Very cool, got any pics?? :)

I have medium size hands and arthritis in them. I carry and use the rat6 more than any other knife I own because the handle is sooooo comfortable. I have used to too clear shooting lanes, chopping, light batoning, field dressing, even kitchen food prep. Ive even done some carving with it. Its a good all around not to big, not to small knife. I plan on getting the three or four to go with it.

Just RatmanDU IT!! Super cheesy I know,,, booze had a role in that
But seriously,, get a RMD,,you won't be disappointed

Last edited:
I personally don't have of my particular Modde Rodent 6, but if you want to contact Trissy she could tell you what I have done, but if you Google it too, they do have Rodent 6's (Google it and ask for pictures) without the top gaurd, it looks like a beefy Ratmandu on steriods and I also heard names like Magnum Ratmandu, seriously you can't hardly tell it was a Rodent 6, the Custom Shop does great work, just Google "Rodent 6 without top gaurd and pictures", that should do it. Sorry I don't have pic's of mine, mine is Black on Black, (blk micarta, blk coating)you can also have G-10 handles too and without coating.

Oh, I tried to Google it the way I said it, and it didn't work, Google "pictures of the modified Rodent 6 without the top gaurd" I think that worked

Another RMD here!!! I think this is one of the best knives to EVER be designed. It has great ergo's, blade length and grip comfort. Simply just one of if not the BEST all-around GP knife going.

I agree and I love my Ratmandu, but ever since I got my Modde Rodent 6 it made me think, I know the Ratmandu and the Rodent 5 seem redundant, but seriously their not, the longer handle allows you to chop a little better with the Rodent 5, and having more realeastate really helps me in the bush, you would think a 1/4" wouldn't be noticable, but when worst comes to worst, that little bit helps get to dry wood a little better, even though I just got mine, but my friends have their s and we all agree, same with the Rodent 3 and the Rodent Solution yet that smaller handle fills my hand just right, and I really like the belly on the Rodent 3 especially for carving, it sort of reminds me a little like a trailing tip because of its size, NO regrets getting the Rodent 5 and the Rodent 3, even though I have the Ratmandu and the Rodent Solution, it's like my golf bag just added more arsenal, it's not like my Ratmandu will ever just collect dust, but I also like the variety and how each knife performs differently, as far as favorites, it's like picking your favorite child, very similar.

Back