Rodent 4/6, Ratmandu CG or SYKCO 511/711?

Ok, I have a rodent warden, solution, and rmd. But I have recently thinking about getting rid of it for a rodent 6 or an ash 1. I agree it is a great only 1 knife but I am blessed to have a few including a grohmann 3 that is identical in length. I'm just worried about the weight increase.

Say, Heah Guys, without realizing it, I almost had a complete series of the Rodents, I always wanted a RatWeiler and bingo I just pulled the trigger on one. But when it came to a 6" blade I didn't care for a Tactical looking knife for what I do in the bush, So this guy in another Forum had his Rodent 6 modified, so I contacted Trissy and she verified I could have mine done that way too, I had the top gaurd taken off but I also had the blade thinned down, it came out beautiful I mean great, they do great work at tgeir Custom Shop. My RatManDu was always one of my Fav's, but then all I needed was to get the Rodent 3 and the Rodent 5 to complete my series, since I also had a Rodent Rucki which served me great as my Long Knife for the summer brambles. I took my time with the Rodent 5 and the Rodent 3 because I thought they would be too redundant with my Solution and my RatManDu, but boy was I wrong, I still love me RatManDu and Solution, But the Rodent 5 right now is prolly my Fav's which I teamed up with my 2Hawks Double Bit Hatchet and my Wicked Tough Saw, the Rodent 3 is a little lighter for a neck carry and both preform great, their similar but yet dufferent, just like twins, Anyhow, I got pretty lucky because when I got my Rodent 5 it was sold out, Just calle'me lucky, Yeah, The Rodent 4 usually is carried with my Rodent 7 and that's for my colder weather pair with my axe and saw, and with that set tgere is hardly anything I can't do having both of them, I don't usually carry all of my sets, But as of now, I seem that I'm really leaning towards my Rodent 5, my 2Hawks and my Wicked Tough Saw what a trio. As the weather gets cokder, and more firewood is needed then the bigger stuff come with me, But even for a lite on person carry the Rodent 5 is hard to beat, ofcource the RatManDu and the Rodent 4 would suffice, But I like to baton even though I have a hatchet, especially the kindling, Yeah, the beauty is I can carry all three on my Survival Belt and a Pouch, and if I'm scouting an area away from camp, I can add a Canteen comfortably, Yeah I would say any of the Rodents, R-4, RatManDu, R-5, R-6, would give anyone a great knife for a great camp/field belt carry knife, , ,

Say Hey Guys,

Without realizing it, I almost had a complete series of the Rodents. I always wanted a Ratweiler and bingo I just pulled the trigger on one. But when it came to a 6" blade I didn't care for a tactical looking knife for what I do in the bush. So this guy in another forum had his Rodent 6 modified, I contacted Trissy and she verified I could have mine done that way too, I had the top guard taken off and I also had the blade thinned down. It came out beautifully, I mean great, they do great work at their Custom Shop.

My RatManDu was always one of my Fav's, then all I needed was to get the Rodent 3 and the Rodent 5 to complete my series, since I also had a Rodent Rucki, which served me great as my long knife for the summer brambles.

I took my time with the Rodent 5 and the Rodent 3 because I thought they would be too redundant with my Rodent Solution and my RatManDu, but boy was I wrong. I still love my RatManDu and Rodent Solution, but the Rodent 5 right now is probably my Fav. I teamed it up with my 2Hawks Double Bit Hatchet and my Wicked Tough Saw. The Rodent 3 is a little lighter for a neck carry and both perform great, they’re similar but yet different, just like twins.

Anyhow, I got pretty lucky because when I got my Rodent 5 it was sold out, just call me lucky.

The Rodent 4 usually is carried with my Rodent 7 and that's for my colder weather pair along with my axe and saw and with that set there is hardly anything I can't do. Having both of them, I don't usually carry all of my sets, but as of now, I seem that I'm really leaning towards my Rodent 5, my 2Hawks and my Wicked Tough Saw what a trio.

As the weather gets colder, and more firewood is needed then the bigger stuff comes with me. But even for a light on person carry the Rodent 5 is hard to beat, of cource the RatManDu and the Rodent 4 would suffice, however I like to baton even though I have a hatchet, especially the kindling. The beauty is I can carry all three on my Survival Belt and a Pouch, and if I'm scouting an area away from camp, I can add a Canteen comfortably.

I would say any of the Rodents, R-4, RatManDu, R-5, R-6, would give anyone a great knife for a great camp/field belt carry knife.
good information mate, you just need to break it up a little so people will take the time to read it.

I also have an R6 with no top guard (mine was also has a drop point) and it is truly a wonderful blade !

I have the Mini Mojo instead of the R6, and LOVE that blade!!! :thumbup: (though it is a bit bigger)

Pic!!! (bottom knife)

Last edited:
My thoughts are that 3/16" thickness, and 4-7" blade length would be a good compromise...

I typically bring three cutting tools with me when I go camping.

1) a saw - for cutting larger pieces of wood
2) a hatchet, tomahawk or large fixed-blade knife (7" blade, or larger) - for light chopping, splitting and brush clearing
3) a small/medium fixed-blade knife (3-5" blade) - for carving, food prep and general utility

If you are looking for a "compromise" blade, then I would ask what tasks are most important to you. Are light chopping and splitting most important? If so, then get the 711. It will excel at these tasks, but it won't be as good at carving because of the length and thicker stock of the blade. Are carving, food prep and general utility most important? If so, then get the Ratmandu. The shorter blade with its thinner stock will allow it to excel at these tasks, though it won't have as much capability as the 711 when chopping and splitting. I know you have a neck knife, but in my experience, they don't do well at serious wood carving, unless equipped with a good set of handle scales.

If I had to limit myself to one knife from your selection, it would be the 711. I believe it will provide more capability overall, especially if paired with a neck knife for food prep.

But that's just me. I prefer larger knives. You really can't go wrong with either though, because they are both very capable tools. Just get the one that speaks to you the most and enjoy it.

Say, Heah Guy, If we're talking about just one knife. IMHO I think, for me a 6" blade would be my Fav's. Since I have my Modde Rodent 6, and I had the blade thinned down, Yeah, they did a great job thinning the edge down mire than the whole blade. It became a very good knife to slice with, especially when I make feathers. But another big reason is, I love a choil. It allows me to choke up on the blade, sort of like two knives in one. Actually, even my Rodent 7 I can use as a 1knife carry. As long as I don't do any serious carving like making a spoon. So, Yeah, I like a larger knife for the simple reason we all know. A big knife can do what a small knife can, But a small knife can't, , ,

Back