ROMAN SWORD EXPERTS ...SO HOW BAD IS THIS ONE!?!?!?

from a dealer/seller on the NFSL via ebay who goes by the member name UNIQUES77777

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Glad you took my advice of not buying such things off of ebay...
Just a note, antique arms in superb condition for it's age, like +400 years old usually sell for thousands, and surely not on ebay which can't be taken as a serious source at any means.

For that unique user, here you go, maybe it will enlighten you:
https://ancientartifakes.net/smf/index.php?topic=1254.0

Last edited:
It is truly a shame because many of these ancient relics are "unearthed" in places around the middle east and in other european regions. ...but then again the chinese market is absolutely the worst!

That belongs in a museum! *Cue Indiana Jones music

So unless there is some provenance with a historical "artifact" such as this, the best case is to walk away. Also read the pitiful excuse of a non-description that is on their auctions. So so so many warning signs. Stay away, Dr. Jones.

That belongs in a museum! *Cue Indiana Jones music

So unless there is some provenance with a historical "artifact" such as this, the best case is to walk away. Also read the pitiful excuse of a non-description that is on their auctions. So so so many warning signs. Stay away, Dr. Jones.

oh i know, this seller "starvos" is also quite confrontational when asked about his items. uniques77777 is about as bad as they are when it comes to online shops.

oh i know, this seller "starvos" is also quite confrontational when asked about his items. uniques77777 is about as bad as they are when it comes to online shops.
So were you just then pointing out that it was a fake instead of genuinely asking for help?

no it's bad, uniques77777 is even worse ...so i guess it's just another sad share with others on how someone from another region can continue to do what they do for a number of years and play the online system the way they do.

It's obviously not Roman. I wonder what it is...? Chinese decorative piece? Marto? Made as a fake?

Gee, I would have pegged it as a Nazi-Era pseudo-Roman fake and dated it to the 1930's

I can't say you are wrong, but the swastika symbol predates the Nazis so I don't assume that something is nazi just because of that symbol. It could be something older... or in this case something newer pretending to be older. Or it could be exactly what you say.

I can't say you are wrong, but the swastika symbol predates the Nazis so I don't assume that something is nazi just because of that symbol. It could be something older... or in this case something newer pretending to be older. Or it could be exactly what you say.
That was a knee-jerk estimate guess, based on ONE picture, I'd want a proper Metal Analysis, before I'd go further, simple non-destructive test like shooting it with an XRF-gun would be only a start, because trace metals can be more important to pinning down origin and date.

Yes the Swastika vastly predates Nazi, but is only common on Indo-Persian artifacts, never Roman or Goth artifacts, and certainly never Corinthian artifacts.

Add to that the Swastika as-stolen by the Nazi's was reversed from the ancient Indian good luck symbol,
but as this is a "questioned" artifact the tendency is to assume more modern as more modern fakes would be expected to be more common, than old ones.

But who would be more motivating to make fakes of... there is likely much more market for faked (cheap)"Hitler Youth daggers", than for say... Good quality repro "Fairborn-Sykes Daggers", and that is just judging the Idiot/Assholes with tables full of repro "Nazi shit" I see at every gun show and I am perpetually mystified at the organizers who allow them to set up that crap right inside the door, Where it is invariably front & center on the local 6PM news!

But the pictured symbol the arms "point clockwise" as in NAZI symbolism rather than Counter-Clockwise as is typically the case in Hindu or Zoroastrian Symbolism. that plus the word "Legonis" which is a RANK Specifically the commander of a Roman Legion. but why would a genuine Roman artifact bear a swastika?
And as a firm believer in simple explanations, I presume it would not! However there was a large group in the last century that was relatively shameless about adopting ancient symbols and rather famous/Infamous for doing so, Particularly the Swastika and anything to do with Rome.

So, shall we apply Occam's razor to this mystery?

Meanwhile I'm going to continue working Mobil 1 into the pivot of my new Kershaw "Cryo"...

Last edited:
Back