Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Kj -

I don't know the knife number, it was the RR micarta work model. I think the finish hadn't dried or else it was over heated in shipment. I don't believe it was a common factory error, rather a packaging error or something along those lines. It didn't actually melt anything, just the shiney finish came off and stuck to the plastic sleeve. Not a major problem IMHO. I'm happy with my "fix".
Rich

Found the item number RR360.

Last edited:
That's right the majority are 440a but they do a couple in 440c and they are marked up as that . I did a GAW a couple of months back . it was a rough rider hunter with white bone scales and it was marked 440c :)

edbeau I've noticed that with several of the Old Yellow Delrin models the centre pin displays a crack, either on arrival or soon after using. Seems to me this is a very common fault with the delrin knives, annoying yes but on an inexpensive knife one can look the other way. I do have other much more expensive knives from famous names that also exhibit this- less forgiveable given their pricing..... Wonder why it's the delrin knives that have this?

Here's my non locking Small Sodbuster and I'm certainly enthusiastic about these: decent build, nice bone and frighteningly sharp. The match-strike pull is a worthy aspect too. As others have noted, a good sharp point on these models make it highly useful yet compact.

Thanks, Will

IMG_3170.jpg

Do y'all think RR will come out with a few of the more popular patterns with 1095 steel blades and maybe some wood scales, with the same quality as their current 440 blade offerings, and at the same price point?

I know I'd buy a few ... dozen ...

Do y'all think RR will come out with a few of the more popular patterns with 1095 steel blades and maybe some wood scales, with the same quality as their current 440 blade offerings, and at the same price point?

I know I'd buy a few ... dozen ...

A year or two ago, there were rumors of Rough Rider working on a line of carbon steel knives, but I haven't heard anything about it for a while. I agree, I'd love to see what they could do with 1095.

They were talking about the new carbon line for months over a year ago on Facebook. Then they went silent. I thought when the Colt carbon line came out that RR might be out shortly,but no, sadly. I'm not fond of the coated carbon in the colts though. They have no idea what a great reception they would get for an old tomey line of carbon steel knives.

Best regards

Robin

They were talking about the new carbon line for months over a year ago on Facebook. Then they went silent. I thought when the Colt carbon line came out that RR might be out shortly,but no, sadly. I'm not fond of the coated carbon in the colts though. They have no idea what a great reception they would get for an old tomey line of carbon steel knives.

Best regards

Robin

Sorry to hear that you're not impressed with Colt's titanium coated carbon steel. I just ordered a Colt canoe with those blades and G-10 handles last night! :(
Any specific shortcomings you'd point out? Thanks!

- GT

I ordered the Colt Canoe, too, for my birthday. With a little luck, I'll get some home time in July, and be able to see it and a couple other knives I bought, and the two Case knives gifted to me.

Sorry to hear that you're not impressed with Colt's titanium coated carbon steel. I just ordered a Colt canoe with those blades and G-10 handles last night! :(
Any specific shortcomings you'd point out? Thanks!

- GT

Actually I haven't tried one. I was hoping for a Very traditional carbon steel line. 1095 is one of the best steels ever made, if they used it, imo there is no need to candy coat it, just not my thing.

Best regards

Robin

Thanks, Robin. I think I understand your disappointment with Colt's approach. I find it even stranger that they have a line of titanium-coated stainless steel. I can understand how someone might want a carbon steel blade coated for rust prevention, but why a stainless blade would be coated is beyond my comprehension (unless it's a question of appearance rather than function).

- GT

Thanks, Robin. I think I understand your disappointment with Colt's approach. I find it even stranger that they have a line of titanium-coated stainless steel. I can understand how someone might want a carbon steel blade coated for rust prevention, but why a stainless blade would be coated is beyond my comprehension (unless it's a question of appearance rather than function).

- GT

Hi GT, I kinda think they are edging toward the mall ninja/tacticool market. I think they are missing the boat myself. Over the years RR has been recognized as a great cheap knife, much much better than the dollar value. I think a great many of the tradition folks on blade forums would buy them by the dozens just to try them.

Best regards

Robin

I had the colt peanut. Could have done without the Ti nitride coating but it was still an excellent peanut!

My understanding of the Ti coating on the stainless blades is to decrease friction, allowing the blade to slice through with less drag.
kj

My understanding of the Ti coating on the stainless blades is to decrease friction, allowing the blade to slice through with less drag.
kj

I learn something here almost every day! Thanks for your comments about the coating, K. Joe. I don't know anything about coefficients of friction, but your explanation sounds plausible to me.

- GT

I find this half whittler RR indispensable. I had lost one about a month ago and thought that I would be ok with going back to using a different traditional as my daily EDC. But I think this little guy has imprinted on me as I had to order another one last week. I'm pretty happy to be carrying this particular pattern again.

That's what is so great about Rough Riders. I have misplaced a few, and it is easy and inexpensive to order replacements, or even multiples of the same knife if it is a pattern you like.

I picked up this Canoe Lockback whittler today. The quality is amazing. I've been seeing these online, but didn't pull the trigger till I got to hold one.

I picked up this Canoe Lockback whittler today. The quality is amazing. I've been seeing these online, but didn't pull the trigger till I got to hold one. ...

That's a beauty, LB!! :thumbup::thumbup: Did you do all that carving with it already today?? Smooth bone and acorn shield look NICE!

I bought one back in December but haven't used it much yet. I, too, was very impressed with the quality. I'm hoping I'll have more time for whittling this summer and can put the "cannitler" through its paces. I'm actually considering sending it off to a "pro" to get the blades reprofiled for whittling.
DkhUgX6l.jpg

- GT

Back