Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Jake, do have an example of a "carbon Colt" or know where one can be seen ? (not counting all the old Colts that came before this offshore manufacturer).
kj

Following up on Jake's reply, I ordered a Colt canoe with titanium-coated carbon steel blades from an online vendor in April. As far as I know, they're still being produced.

PbcXNRQl.jpg

I posted more photos in this thread previously (post 2175).

- GT

Robin, Aren't the Colts and RRs made for the same company in the same factory? Were the carbon Colts a test run? Are they discontinued?

Geezz,never thought of that :eek:.Maybe they actually took my advice :D about an upscale line but put them out under the Colt brand. I believe the colt carbon came out very soon after the talk on facebook. Interesting thought.
I haven't really followed the carbon colts but I think they're still making them. I Kinda hate the coating:(

Best regards

Robin

Jake & Robin, i have some of these Ti coated Colts but thought the Ti coating is on a stainless steel blade for the purpose of reducing drag.
Edit to add: there are 2 Colt Trappers with Ti coated blades that look the same. I have the CT312 which is described:
·Titanium coated 440A stainless steel blades
·Black smooth bone handle
·Brass liners
·Nickel silver pins, pinched and ringed bolsters, and inlaid Colt shield
·Packaged in Gift box
·3-1/8" Clip point and Spey blade lengths
·Blade Thickness: 1/16"
·Blade Widths: 1/2"
·4-1/8" Closed
·Made in China

However Jake is correct the CT608 looks the same but is listed as Ti coated Carbon Steel blades (out of stock)
I am always at least 1 step behind you guys and should learn to not question the info in your posts.
kj

Last edited:
KJ, The number of patterns and variations that they crank out is really impressive.

Robin, if you have their ear on Facebook please ask them to use the exact same blade from the 5-blade sowbelly on their 3-blade sowbelly. The blade is much more full and both the shape and the nick placement is more similar to the oldies.

The 3-blade is on the left and the 5-blade is on the right in this photo.

Some old Remingtons

I don't think that's covered by the warranty. :D What are you making?

Last edited:
I don't think that's covered by the warranty. :D What are you making?

Right now it looks like I am gonna turn the Equal End into a single blade knife. And truth, probably should have been less zealous about the Sleeve Board cause there isn't much that can be done with it. I think I might put a bail on my single blade when I get it back together as well. Today I found some "music wire" at the local hardware store. I'm going to attempt to use it for the pins and bail, but I can't say if it's stainless or not, or if it matters. So the internet tells me misic wire is neither stainless nor soft so probably some annealing to be done. Will any of it work? I dunno. Eventually I would like to make a slipjoint from scratch but I have a lot of learning to do first and figured this would be a good start.

I was hoping beyond hope that two patterns might have some tang/backspring commonality but no, at least with these two, there are zero similarities. Even with similarly shaped handles and even similar small blades on the Sleeve Board, the tang dimensions are wholly different. It seems that very minor dimension differences can alter everything. Where the Sleeve Board has dimensionally "weaker" appearing springs, it had significantly higher spring tension than the Equal End. A single blade Jack was really my main goal anyway, so hopefully I can make it look a little tidier and come out with something moderately nice and also unique.

ETA: You might also note that the covers don't match at all. This doesn't bother me much, however, I have been looking for an excuse to try some RIT dye on bone and this might be that excuse.

Since we're on the subject, the way shields are placed on slipjoints seems upside down to me (when they have text on them). Blasphemy?

More edits. Anyone suppose a Rough Rider "wish list" thread would have any benefits at all?

Edit to update. Yeah so, for anyone else who might read this, who is a noob like me, NO! "Music Wire" won't work. It's made of kryptonite. It would make a great bail, but you'd have to forge the flats .... and drilling the holes - I don't want to even think about it. More importantly, since the music wire cost almost nothing, 3/32 is no where near the .100 or .105 area that I measure the holes to be. This takes me back to when I started taking apart Enlan and other Chinese liner locks. I can only assume they would use metric except it's Chinese metric which as near as I can tell is sorta like, just made up stuff. .105 is just over 2.5mm. Just another hurdle is all. I could drill the holes out to 1/8th or something if push comes to shove.

Last edited:
Nice RR's guys. Excuse the poor picture, but here are some of mine.

Impressive collection of Rough Riders, Bloefield!! :thumbup::thumbup: (I think there is a Colt "spy" that infiltrated your ranks. ;))
I was going to ask if you could post a similar "group shot" of all your Old Timers, but you did that in the "Age" thread. Thanks; another nice collection!

- GT

Impressive collection of Rough Riders, Bloefield!! :thumbup::thumbup: (I think there is a Colt "spy" that infiltrated your ranks. ;))
I was going to ask if you could post a similar "group shot" of all your Old Timers, but you did that in the "Age" thread. Thanks; another nice collection!

- GT

Thanks guys.
That is a Carbon Colt Trapper in there, plus a Marbles scout type too. Both of which are nicely made, I might add.

Rounding up these guys is proving to be quite a chore.
Still a pile more all over the place.

Regarding the Old Timer "age" picture, that's just a sprinklin!
Want to see some more Schrades ? Check out our own Collectors Forum here>
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1284075-H-15-Plus

More of those too, later.
My small pile is just that, small, compared to a lot of the fine members collections here.

Glad to see the interest/acceptance in these inexpensive brands here in this thread.
Harold

My Marbles Scout/Demo/Utility is well constructed too. No gaps, smooth pull on all the blades ... if only the blades did not have that mirror polish that shows every fingerprint and smudge.
I still EDC it, even with that one "fault", since the Camillus original had the same blade polish. At least Marbles thinks we are smart, since they don't put "CAN OPENER" on the can opener blade, like Camillus did on the originals.

I'm not sure if this should have a thread of it's own, but here is a short review of my latest Rough Rider, a buffalo horn muskrat. This is my 4th Rough Rider, and although it is a good user and well worth the $10 shipped that I paid for it, it has the least impressive fit and finish of the 4. My other 3 RR purchases have simply blown me away with their bang for the buck factor, while this one seems more like what one would expect from a $10 knife.
Iphone5-june10-2015-muskrat by mazdamattc, on Flickr
First off, the most important part, the blades. They have a nice strong, but not too strong pull to them, and snap open and closed with authority. One of them is perfectly centered, and the other is just slightly off center, but not enough to rub on the liners. The grind on the 440A blades was even, but one of the blades had a short section that was shiny, indicating a micro flat spot. The other clip blade was uniformly sharp with an even grind but close inspection showed some very small areas of darker steel at the thinnest portion of the grind. I expect this was where the person (robot?) doing the grinding let the steel start to overheat. The blade is still very sharp, and I expect the overheated area will disappear as the blade is sharpened as time goes by. I have not used any of my RR 440A blades enough to see how well they hold an edge, but as someone who sharpens their knives frequently, I don't value edge holding too highly. The 440A can certainly get razor sharp on a ceramic rod and leather strop, and that is what matters most to me.
As the photos show, the buffalo horn scales are not what I was expecting. Most buffalo horn I have seen in photos of knife handles is much darker and more uniform. Much of these scales, especially on one side, is a very translucent amber, with darker brownish black streaks mixed in. I googled buffalo horn, and found out that this translucency is not uncommon in asian water buffalo horn, and I assume that is what these scales are made of. Not surprising given that the knife is manufactured in China. I also learned that polished buffalo horn looks very much like plastic, and these scales do nothing to dispute that. If it wasn't for the irregular nature of the streaks and mismatching, I would have thought these were an artificial simulated product. Another problem with their translucency is that you can see glue bubbles through the clear sections. Does anyone know what tool I should use if were to attempt to do some diy jigging on these scales to hide the glue? Has anyone seen translucent buffalo scales like these, and if so, were they smooth or jigged? Anyway, one of the scales also has a 1mm gap to the adjacent bolster. Light also shows through between the scales, liners, and springs in a few locations.
Other than the cosmetics mentioned above, I like the two sharp clip blade layout and the handle shape of this muskrat. It makes for a good slicer for food prep, and although I am not a hunter, I imagine it would excel at skinning small animals, like it's name suggests.
In short, for $10, this is a good first test run for the pattern for me, as I have never used a muskrat before. I may give jigging the scales a go, especially if anyone can point me towards a "how to" on youtube. A brief search didn't turn up anything useful, but I'm sure the information is out there somewhere! Here are a couple more photos:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this should have a thread of it's own, but here is a short review of my latest Rough Rider, a buffalo horn muskrat.
Nice review, I agree with you about edge holding. If you ask me, if you know how to sharpen then it becomes kind of a moot point, plus you don't have to worry about staining or rust with SS blades; a win win IMHO.
I also agree about fit & finish as regards Rough Rider knives. I have three, and every one of them is well built, and seem very durable. I can't think of many (any) $10 brands that can compete with RR, especially considering the 440A. I'm afraid to carry and use my expensive Case knives very much, not so with RR, they are so affordable it's not such a big deal if you ding them up.
Also, thanks for the buffalo horn review, I've been wondering if it's time for me to try it out. I can always use another Muskrat.

Question: has anyone posted photos of Rough Rider Double Take knives here? I haven't gone through all 117 pages of this thread to see if anyone has, but they are a very interesting pattern if you haven't seen one. I love mine, & will post photos if none have been posted yet. They live up to everything previously said about RR knives, they are just kinda "different".

Sonny

OK, I still haven't found any DIY jigging lessons, but I ran across this video "tutorial"of making a buffalo horn machete handle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxc77xE0_po
I know, not RR related, but can you imagine how much more modern the RR factory must be? As someone who has only recently started dabbling with knife making (a couple of tiny O1 wood carving knives), this video really spoke to me. It made me realize how whiny my nit picking about the slight cosmetic failings of my Rough Rider would sound to someone who makes a living making machetes using nothing more than another machete, a hammer, a forge, a hacksaw, and a hand drill. First World Problems!

Some of us knife aficionados also wish more companies, or a specific one, would make more use of stainless steel.

In my use, even rough rider's "440" holds a good edge.

Thanks for the review mazdamattc...the buffalo horn f/f def is disappointing. The horn may be prone to shrinkage also in the future, and the glue bubbles are exactly what I would expect from a "cheap $10 knife", but doesn't seem to fit the RR's we have seen. So I'd probably try and return/exchange this one if you can. Remind us what other models you have? The teardrop I got recently has been a workhorse for me in the garden.

Thanks for the review mazdamattc...the buffalo horn f/f def is disappointing. The horn may be prone to shrinkage also in the future, and the glue bubbles are exactly what I would expect from a "cheap $10 knife", but doesn't seem to fit the RR's we have seen. So I'd probably try and return/exchange this one if you can. Remind us what other models you have? The teardrop I got recently has been a workhorse for me in the garden.

I have a faux tortoise shell peanut, a white bone two blade barlow (which I love), and a sawcut bone congress (which is nice, except for a bit of blade rub, which I gather is common for the congress pattern, and not just for Rough Riders).

As far as returning this one, I am just going to keep it as a hard user, and maybe as a future guinea pig for practicing jigging. If that test is a fail, then maybe I will learn how to replace the scales with some wood ones of my own making.

Nice review, I agree with you about edge holding. If you ask me, if you know how to sharpen then it becomes kind of a moot point, plus you don't have to worry about staining or rust with SS blades; a win win IMHO.
I also agree about fit & finish as regards Rough Rider knives. I have three, and every one of them is well built, and seem very durable. I can't think of many (any) $10 brands that can compete with RR, especially considering the 440A. I'm afraid to carry and use my expensive Case knives very much, not so with RR, they are so affordable it's not such a big deal if you ding them up.
Also, thanks for the buffalo horn review, I've been wondering if it's time for me to try it out. I can always use another Muskrat.

Question: has anyone posted photos of Rough Rider Double Take knives here? I haven't gone through all 117 pages of this thread to see if anyone has, but they are a very interesting pattern if you haven't seen one. I love mine, & will post photos if none have been posted yet. They live up to everything previously said about RR knives, they are just kinda "different".

Sonny

If you get one, let us all know how it compares to mine, especially regarding the scales.

Thanks for that review Mazdamattc.
That particular one isn't quite the best RR we've seen but good for your plans nonetheless.

This is the best (only) example I have found so far of how to make jigging on knife scales, in case anyone else is interested in using their Rough Rider as a jigging guinea pig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrMhWGWe_28

Unfortunatly, I can't tell what type of bit he is using in his Dremel tool.

From the comments section: "The jigging burr that Steve Dunn used on micarta handle is available from MSC, and the part is # 00439158 and the price is $16.69."

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00439158?rItem=00439158

I'm not sure if this should have a thread of it's own, but here is a short review of my latest Rough Rider, a buffalo horn muskrat. This is my 4th Rough Rider, and although it is a good user and well worth the $10 shipped that I paid for it, it has the least impressive fit and finish of the 4.

I think the folks at SMKW will get you sorted out. I think they care about how these knives come out and the covers on that one would surely be below standards.

Back