Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I think the folks at SMKW will get you sorted out. I think they care about how these knives come out and the covers on that one would surely be below standards.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may look into that if I don't decide to go ahead with my jigging experiment. I am actually starting to warm up to the translucent horn scales, though, and I am curious to see how it would look if I added some jigging. If I really make a mess of it, the beauty of the Rough Riders is I'm only out $10, and it would still make a good knock about user. Or I could try to put new scales on it.

Here is a shot of the new muskrat with my other Rough Riders:
Iphone5-june11-2015-roughriders by mazdamattc, on Flickr

Last edited:
For my second foray into the world of trans-Pacific imported traditional patterns, I bought a Rough Rider Baby Copperhead in Amber Jigged Bone and a Schrade 34OTB medium stockman in their "genuine bone" and 440c steel.

The RR was under $10 as is typical for them, the Schrade about $20.

I am pleased with the RR Baby Copperhead. Nice dye job on the bone on both sides, great walk and talk on both blades, both blades very sharp out of the box, nice even bevel at a good angle, just needed a little stropping to be ready to go.

Some very minor fit and finish issues. Some small gaps between the bone handles and bolsters at one end, and slightly proud backspring at both ends when the blades are open. Nothing I haven't seen worse examples of on more expensive knives, and doesn't affect the functionality.

In short, another great little knife, especially for $10. I'm carrying it today.

The Schrade was more disappointing. The main issue is that the center pin (that goes through the backspring) was proud on both sides, more so on one side. Related to that is that there is a sizeable gap between the liner and backspring. If I squeeze the knife between my fingers, the gap closes and you can see the backspring pin actually protrude further above the bone, indicating it isn't connected solidly with the frame on that side.

Next issue is the bone - it is a grayish sawcut bone with a black dye applied to the sawcut area. It looks so similar in coloring to their typical Delrin handles that it's surprising they chose that coloration. Also - the dark dye comes off with any sort of solvent. I first discovered it when trying to polish the handles with some Renaissance wax and the towel turned black. WD-40 also removes the dye. When the excess dye stopped coming off, the bone was still dark, so it's not like it just wiped off completely leaving undyed bone, but I can see it making a mess of someone's pocket.

The blades are a mirror finish. They were pretty sharp, I'll give them credit for that. The sheepsfoot blade was crinked further than any other 2-spring stockman pattern I've ever seen. I compared to some of my Case 2-spring stockman patterns and the angle was more pronounced on the Schrade.

Blade snap was rather weak. There were rough spots where the bolsters met the bone, and the aforementioned backspring gap.

I was in general not impressed with it. My previous purchase of the 93OT, which I actually really like, had me hoping for more out the higher-end bone and 440c knife. I may see if I can use a nail punch and try to peen the proud backspring pin down a little. It might even close up that gap a little.

Maybe if I had tried a different pattern than the smallish 34OTB it would have been a different experience. I think that's the last "new Schrade" I'll try out. I have enough knives already to last me, no need to add one that's sub-par out of the gate. Though the 93OT will be getting some pocket time, it was well made and a nice pattern.

For my second foray into the world of trans-Pacific imported traditional patterns, I bought a Rough Rider Baby Copperhead in Amber Jigged Bone and a Schrade 34OTB medium stockman in their "genuine bone" and 440c steel.

The RR was under $10 as is typical for them, the Schrade about $20.

I am pleased with the RR Baby Copperhead. Nice dye job on the bone on both sides, great walk and talk on both blades, both blades very sharp out of the box, nice even bevel at a good angle, just needed a little stropping to be ready to go.

Some very minor fit and finish issues. Some small gaps between the bone handles and bolsters at one end, and slightly proud backspring at both ends when the blades are open. Nothing I haven't seen worse examples of on more expensive knives, and doesn't affect the functionality.

In short, another great little knife, especially for $10. I'm carrying it today.

The Schrade was more disappointing. The main issue is that the center pin (that goes through the backspring) was proud on both sides, more so on one side. Related to that is that there is a sizeable gap between the liner and backspring. If I squeeze the knife between my fingers, the gap closes and you can see the backspring pin actually protrude further above the bone, indicating it isn't connected solidly with the frame on that side.

Next issue is the bone - it is a grayish sawcut bone with a black dye applied to the sawcut area. It looks so similar in coloring to their typical Delrin handles that it's surprising they chose that coloration. Also - the dark dye comes off with any sort of solvent. I first discovered it when trying to polish the handles with some Renaissance wax and the towel turned black. WD-40 also removes the dye. When the excess dye stopped coming off, the bone was still dark, so it's not like it just wiped off completely leaving undyed bone, but I can see it making a mess of someone's pocket.

The blades are a mirror finish. They were pretty sharp, I'll give them credit for that. The sheepsfoot blade was crinked further than any other 2-spring stockman pattern I've ever seen. I compared to some of my Case 2-spring stockman patterns and the angle was more pronounced on the Schrade.

Blade snap was rather weak. There were rough spots where the bolsters met the bone, and the aforementioned backspring gap.

I was in general not impressed with it. My previous purchase of the 93OT, which I actually really like, had me hoping for more out the higher-end bone and 440c knife. I may see if I can use a nail punch and try to peen the proud backspring pin down a little. It might even close up that gap a little.

Maybe if I had tried a different pattern than the smallish 34OTB it would have been a different experience. I think that's the last "new Schrade" I'll try out. I have enough knives already to last me, no need to add one that's sub-par out of the gate. Though the 93OT will be getting some pocket time, it was well made and a nice pattern.

Re: the Schrade 34OTB
Basicly my same experience with an 8OTB.
The dye, proud pin etc.
The knife is actually pretty nice but the dye came off on my hands just from wiping it with a cloth.
The blades are done nice but what could have been a really nice knife is marred by lack of attention to details.

The bone on yours looks nicer than mine does. What if anything did you do to fix the proud pin? Not sure what it is about the knife but it feels more cheaply made than its Delrin-handled cousin.

The bone on yours looks nicer than mine does. What if anything did you do to fix the proud pin? Not sure what it is about the knife but it feels more cheaply made than its Delrin-handled cousin.

I didn't do anything to it other than wipe/clean and oil it.
Those are old pics when I first got it. After getting all the dye off that was going to come off I decided to make this a hard user when needed.
It is a nice looking knife actually and works well.
I was hoping for some kind of glorious Schrade resurrection with this bone series but that isn't what happened.
I glad though, that Taylor saw fit to bring these out. They're not bad at all but I usually grab one of my old USA 8OT's for edc.

I didn't do anything to it other than wipe/clean and oil it.
Those are old pics when I first got it. After getting all the dye off that was going to come off I decided to make this a hard user when needed.
It is a nice looking knife actually and works well.
I was hoping for some kind of glorious Schrade resurrection with this bone series but that isn't what happened. I'm glad though, that Taylor saw fit to bring these out. They're not bad at all but I usually grab one of my old USA 8OT's for edc.
That was pretty much my hope as well. I was pleasantly surprised with the 93OT Delrin model that I thought maybe Taylor was trying to step up a bit and start delivering the same quality as before, just manufactured elsewhere. It is a functional cutting object, I suppose, just not up to the quality I was hoping for. Not sure what I will ever use it for, since I have plenty of others that are begging for pocket time.

That's funny, I also just ordered the Baby Copperhead - I personally like the slightly smaller patterns, especially two blades on a single spring. You can grind the pin off and maybe give it a couple taps to pein it again. The center pin wasn't tight on the two Marbles I tore apart so other than clamping the covers, liners, springs together (gaps) it doesn't have to be super tight and you don't want to crack the covers. Ya might have to do something to polish it back up, but no reason you can't knock it down a little.

ETA: Need more pics. Today I am carrying this Reverse Gunstock
rr_reversegunstock1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

roughrider_group1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Last edited:
Have a couple new Rough Rider Trappers coming in the mail soon. The collection grows.:D

That's funny, I also just ordered the Baby Copperhead - I personally like the slightly smaller patterns, especially two blades on a single spring. You can grind the pin off and maybe give it a couple taps to pein it again. The center pin wasn't tight on the two Marbles I tore apart so other than clamping the covers, liners, springs together (gaps) it doesn't have to be super tight and you don't want to crack the covers. Ya might have to do something to polish it back up, but no reason you can't knock it down a little.

ETA: Need more pics. Today I am carrying this Reverse Gunstock
rr_reversegunstock1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

roughrider_group1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

What model is that Reverse Gunstock? It's beautiful!

What model is that Reverse Gunstock? It's beautiful!

It is RR738. It is for sure one of my nicest and I am beginning to think that the series with that particular shield was the most well made series (except it's not exactly my favorite shield design but that's beside the point). In fact, maybe all the amber bone knives, because my liner lock is really nice too. Note the little red bone in the second pic has the same shield and it is also very well made. So good that while I don't normally go for red, I really go for THIS red it's so good. The color in the bone is matching and very rich on both. The 738 has half stops on all the blades, and what I consider to be Goldilocks pull weight. However, my RR Electricians knife came today and it's not too exciting, including the red bone. It's the first Rough Rider I've got that I'm kinda not thrilled with. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

ETA: The baby Copperhead has amber bone and that shield, so I am hopeful - it's on the way.

I agree with you. All the amber bone knives I have had were good ones. I acquired one of the reverse gunstocks myself recently. Top notch.

My latest additions that just arrived.

Rough Rider RR526 Large Toothpick
Rough Rider RR228 Black Pearl Large Trapper

18581769349_bfa820e65f_c.jpg

Well I said I'd get some pics of the Electricians knife. Tip of the blade is a little proud here, scales are kind of pinkish (the camera just doesn't capture it well). The wire stripper blade isn't a nail breaker - I just can't get it open at all. I forced it open a couple times, it seems to be getting too much tension from the liner lock. The bail is a pin inside a tube and it's pretty loose - were all bails attached this way? Anyone know? I dunno, just a handful of things that I'm not thrilled about. I was telling someone up above that SMKW would probably make it right but at the same time, it was $9.00 and change so is it worth fooling with? I dunno. At the same time if we just let the quality slide then I suppose it just will go ahead and slide on us.

RR_electriciansknife_tip by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

RR_electriciansknife_bail by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

My latest additions that just arrived.

Rough Rider RR526 Large Toothpick
Rough Rider RR228 Black Pearl Large Trapper

18581769349_bfa820e65f_c.jpg

I got me one of them black Pearl trappers on my "to buy" list. Looks good!

ADEE and I came across these Chinese-made folders in a local market, and kind of liked them, they feel good in hand, and come with a good edge, cost next to nothing too :) It's good to know that with this knife I can avoid 'health embroidery'! :D

Nice, Jack. That looks like a great standing home and travel appliance. :thumbup:
Is that enamel over copper?

Reminds me of this little tactical Barlow I picked up:

I paid a whole dollar for it, and would have bought a few more if they had any.

Last edited:
I Googled the model numbers to try to find those knives and I couldn't find Jack Black's knife (maybe it's one of a kind! ;) ) but I was able to locate R8shell's knife. It's discontinued but resellers could buy them by the lot of 1000 knives for 46 cents a piece! You'd think there'd be more than 46 cents worth of materials there... not to mention labor!

Last edited:
Nice, Jack. That looks like a great standing home and travel appliance. :thumbup:
Is that enamel over copper?

Reminds me of this little tactical Barlow I picked up:

I paid a whole dollar for it, and would have bought a few more if they had any.

Thanks r8shell :D :thumbup: I like that one, and I reckon they are related! :D The trader I bought it from had a whole bin full, about 4 different designs, some of which had a fuller just like on your Tactical Barlow (I'll have to look out for those!). I bought one, but gave it away. I was saying to ADEE that the guy probably paid less than the equivalent of a Dollar for them. Reckon we got stung at £3 ($4.67), but I'm still pleased with it! :D :thumbup:

I Googled the model numbers to try to find those knives and I couldn't find Jack Black's knife (maybe it's one of a kind! ;) ) but I was able to locate R8shell's knife. It's discontinued but resellers could buy them by the lot of 1000 knives for 46 cents a piece! You'd think there'd be more than 46 cents worth of materials there... not to mention labor!

LOL! :D Good research Jake :thumbup:

The fullered knife I referred to above was sold as 'Fine Knife' - 'Convenient and enjoyable'. The back of the packaging says:

Wuxing sign each section knife. All uses the superior material to purify becomes, Has domestic advanced is mechanical and the exquisitetechnique The technique,has been through repeatedly is repea tedlytempered ,the high temperature quenches The fire, careful ly rubs truncates,causes runkou degree of hardness High,tough ness strong,is specially sharp and so onespecially Spot.
The product fused the psychological humann ature,Novel pr actical,the streamline is artistic, the body feeling Facile,has the flavor

So there you have it! :D I guess they had to cut corners somewhere! ;) :D

Back