Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

There are some stag handled Colts now. This muskrat looks pretty good.

CT217.jpg

If anyone has purchased one of these stag Colts, are you willing to share your opinion of it? Thanks!

- GT

I purchased a couple of Rough Riders for use at work during the humid summer. I wanted to cut down on maintenance of 1095 when I was drenched in sweat for 8 hours a day. I really was surprised at the value of these knives! Both came shaving sharp, but the gunstock did require filing of the spey kick to make the nick on the sheep accessible.

First is a gunstock stockman in bark bone:

Next is a half hawk in smooth tobacco bone:

I purchased a couple of Rough Riders for use at work during the humid summer. I wanted to cut down on maintenance of 1095 when I was drenched in sweat for 8 hours a day. I really was surprised at the value of these knives! Both came shaving sharp, but the gunstock did require filing of the spey kick to make the nick on the sheep accessible.

First is a gunstock stockman in bark bone:

I am a sucker for the stockman pattern and certainly use it more than any other at work. I really like that one. I like the long nick on the main blade and have found that modified pattern of the spey much more useful than a traditional. I have a couple of the RRs with that "bark bone" jigging and really like that, too.

May have to dig out that old Mastercard gift certificate here in the next couple of days!

Robert

This is a little flash GAW of a Rough Rider Half Whittler. This particular model has been my everyday EDC for two years. I bought one to replace a Colt Peanut that I gave to a coworker. I only believe in giving away decent knives and not junk. This two blade "half whittler" is one of the best gent's/everyday knives on the market in my opinion. Everyday knives to me are the knives you throw in your pocket and just use without care. The kind of knives that earn their keep and that's how you become fond of them.

It took a really neat Case Carhartt mini trapper with a single blade wharncliffe to displace it. I hope that it finds itself in good rotation for someone!

Just say you're in. Limited to about 20 entries and only open to those who have meaningfully contributed to this RR thread! Good luck!

Im in if it's ok....If so,Thank you for the priviledge,
JD
Here is a couple more Colts......Im beginning to think this crowd just has to
be losing money on this brand......And they just keep pumping em out too....

Love this Whittler..
12045557_504371686405946_8904456369426817061_o.jpg

This Trapper is big.....Probably an inch longer than standard in closed position....
12010700_504371393072642_5408391196905343429_o.jpg

12010738_504371496405965_2676629574140889078_o.jpg

I'm in. Had a half whittler in mind as a new pattern to try out. Really like the colt sowbelly currently using as whittler duty.

cchu518, not an entry, but thanks for running this generous GAW! :thumbup::thumbup: I've seen photos you posted of your splendid wharncliffe mini trapper and wondered what EDC knife it was replacing.

jdracing, those are some great-looking Colts you posted! :cool::cool:

Good luck to all the GAW entrants. :D

- GT

First you need a good Sodbuster to slice the Vire's andouille. Then 1' per side in hot extra-dry Normandy cider. Serve and enjoy. :D
I'm in too.

Vire.jpg

Not an entry for the GAW as I have one already thanks. It's a really decent Gents' knife for sure, and dare I say killer sharp?:eek::D

Jolipapa Great shot and a mothwatering snack. I often enjoy ham cooked in cider, and I enjoy cidre de Normandie a much underrated drink with meals, except of course in Normandy.:cool: Then there's Calva...:D

Thank you Will, the RR is perfect for thin slices, very sharp, well in hand and large enough. No task here for the Scout Beer, as you know Normandy cider's cork can be removed by hand!

Ps the andouille was a pure delight! I'll best wait until this evening for the calva if I want to be efficient this afternoon!

That Andoullie does look amazing! Speaking of ciders around the fall and winter holiday season I always prepare a Calvados and spice punch bowl for the family. I have to be careful about how much Calvados to put in as my wife's family (in the 70's her mom and brother's called themselves the Bancroft Brawlers) who get a little belligerent when they've had too much to drink, lol.

I'm not in because i already have one of the same knives. Have had it at least 5 years and i still like it just as much. I have been a Rough Rider fan & supporter since 2007. Back then other 'knifers' made fun of you if you dared say RR knives were "pretty good". Glad to see people have opened up to how fine these knives are, even price independent. Factor in price and they become the most fun you can have buying knives.
kj

That's a fact KJ.:thumbup:

Here's one I like a fair bit, single-spring 2 blades (no rub though) 3.5". Swell-Centre Equal End?? Only downside is an extremely fierce spring, up to GEC level, and killer sharp again :eek::D

IMG_3505.jpg

Back