Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

jXFOE5x.jpg

This thread is dangerous!! I went from learning about my interest of trads a week ago to ordering a Case Canoe, to ordering 5 RR's. I was given a RR a few years ago with white bone and nicely done Scrimshaw but never gave it much thought.

Thanks for this thread to educate me about RR's--a brand I can quickly and easily grow a nice collection with!!

Ron

Last edited:
Quote: " RR's--a brand I can quickly and easily grow a nice collection with!!"
YES ! Exactly. I have a fairly big collection of RR's, maybe 200 ? i stopped buying more about 2 years ago. All are Traditional style and not even one knife has a serious 'issue'. Every one is a well made and shaving sharp knife, even the tiny 1.5" ? two blade Trapper.
I also have collections of more expensive knives like Fight'n Rooster, and vintage Henckels, Sears Sta-Sharp, etc.
What has surprised me is that i get as much enjoyment from looking at and handling my Rough Riders as i do with knives that cost many times as much and that are far more rare.
And, besides being enjoyed in a collection, every one of the RR's would make a good reliable long lasting user. I have been using a couple of them for about 7 years so i know they hold up as well as the average USA made knives. There was a time where you could almost get kicked out of BF for making a statement like that. Fortunately this has passed and now it is just about the knives themselves.
kj

Hi guys.

I've been looking at the buck 303/373's lately as I need a small, discreet but sturdy knife for work but I haven't found any where in the UK with them in stock.

I do however know where I can get a 3 1/4" Rough Rider stockman but I'm wondering how they compare in blade thickness? I have several Rough Riders all ready and have no concerns about their build quality in general, I'm just wondering how these two knives compare.

We need like a "Rough Rider Please Make" petition going that we can add "models/variants" to and then a tally for everyone who likes the idea ... or something to that effect.

jXFOE5x.jpg

This thread is dangerous!! I went from learning about my interest of trads a week ago to ordering a Case Canoe, to ordering 5 RR's. I was given a RR a few years ago with white bone and nicely done Scrimshaw but never gave it much thought.

Thanks for this thread to educate me about RR's--a brand I can quickly and easily grow a nice collection with!!

Ron

I have a similar RR that my mom brought me from a trip she took to Alaska a few years ago. Different pattern obviously, more of a Canoe/Baby Butterbean. Not a bad little knife.

3068D385-E11E-4A2B-B980-8732613C512B.jpg

I saw some at a local hardware store on clearance for something like $10. I kinda liked the trapper pattern. Are the really that low of quality? I'm on a traditional kick lately and want to experiment with new patterns.

I have a Taylor Schrade in my pocket as I sit here, a 93OT
Not as polished as a Case.
But the springs are flat in open and closed positions.
It came reasonably sharp out of the box.
grinds are even
springs are about a 4-5
The steel is 7CrMoV, which has a composition pretty similar to 440A, which was what Schrade used for "Schrade+" stainless.
Action is smooth and has decent snap
I just got this tonight, so I can't tell you much how it uses or how well they heat treated the alloy.

Overall, this reminds me very much of the fit and finish of the medium grade Schrade and Camillus knives I grew up with in the 60's and 70's. Nothing to ooh and ah about, but seems to be a good workmanlike knife.

I have a Taylor Schrade in my pocket as I sit here, a 93OT
Not as polished as a Case.
But the springs are flat in open and closed positions.
It came reasonably sharp out of the box.
grinds are even
springs are about a 4-5
The steel is 7CrMoV, which has a composition pretty similar to 440A, which was what Schrade used for "Schrade+" stainless.
Action is smooth and has decent snap
I just got this tonight, so I can't tell you much how it uses or how well they heat treated the alloy.

Overall, this reminds me very much of the fit and finish of the medium grade Schrade and Camillus knives I grew up with in the 60's and 70's. Nothing to ooh and ah about, but seems to be a good workmanlike knife.

Your recommendation is good enough for me. Maybe I'll drop in tomorrow and pick one or two up. If I do I'll throw some pictures up and maybe a review.

The scrimshaw was done by the same person as per the signature! Very cool!! Yes, a very nice knife indeed and the size is right. Hides low in my pocket until I need it.

Ron

Came sharp, useful little knife :thumbup:

Jack,
Based on your pic and description I found one on the auction site and got it. Looks like a Bob Loveless knockoff and has some surprisingly good F&F for a $13 knife.

Roughrider_176.jpg

I don't know what "Root Wood" is but the handle looks respectable.

Thanks!
Mort

Good evening everybody. I really want a northwoods freemont jack. But can't really swing that at the moment. Does rough rider make anything that resembles that? Any RR wharncliffe would be nice!

Jack,
Based on your pic and description I found one on the auction site and got it. Looks like a Bob Loveless knockoff and has some surprisingly good F&F for a $13 knife.

Roughrider_176.jpg

I don't know what "Root Wood" is but the handle looks respectable.

Thanks!
Mort

Nice pick up Mort, I was looking at that one also. That wood handle does have a respectable burl look. Good size also. It's a SS blade correct?

Nobody wanted this so I gave it a home. I got tired of seeing it at the flea market week after week. It's the first one I own in this pattern.

image.jpg1_zpsgiqx3tro.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have heard RR's steel claimed to be 440A, but most likely it's an Asian equivalent, such as 7Cr17MoV. It has a good reputation, whatever it is.
Thanks Jeff! The knife arrived with a pretty decent edge on it. I don't know how durable it will be but it looks like a good user so far.

440A vs 440C....have looked up some older posts on that. but on such an affordable knife, As long as it is easy enough to sharpen it will be a good worker. Cut up a chicken for us Mort:D

Back