Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Looks like a new shield type on that Stockman ?

Really nice the small Barlow also, I think it would be better without the shield though, I personally prefer Barlow handles unadorned. The stamped RR bolster is very well done though, far better than the cheap etchings you can find on other makers'.

There's the same shield on the glow-in-the-night liner lock sodbuster jr.
(I share your opinion about barlows and shields. Prefer adorned bolsters).

RR1427.jpg

Looks like a new shield type on that Stockman ?

Really nice the small Barlow also, I think it would be better without the shield though, I personally prefer Barlow handles unadorned. The stamped RR bolster is very well done though, far better than the cheap etchings you can find on other makers'.

A popular on-line retailer, famed for fast delivery and excellent service generally, kindly sourced this one for me as it is wasn't available in their current catalogue. So perhaps it's a new design with a different shield and all, I don't know. It seems its often a bit of a lottery with these knives when you order them as there are so many different handle materials and shield designs, you never know quite what to expect. But I must say I've not been disappointed yet. I particularly liked the look of this one as I already have a large old Johnson Bros stockman which I think is illegal to carry and too valuable to me to lose, damage or have confiscated. This one's legal and pretty too I reckon. A good knife. :):thumbup:

Like the look of that Barlow too. I also have a congress just like Sonny14's above which I love, though mine was sold to me as stag/bone as opposed to stag proper. Really nice knives whatever they are. :thumbup:

Jolipapa That shield looks really at home on the 'gloworm' Sodbuster:thumbup:

Is that the large one or the medium/smaller size? I might have to get one...:cool:

Thanks, Will

I also have a congress just like Sonny14's above which I love, though mine was sold to me as stag/bone as opposed to stag proper. Really nice knives whatever they are. :thumbup:

After looking back, mine was advertised as "Stag Bone" too, so I apologize if I misquoted above. So I guess that means bone jigged to look like stag. Still a deal at under $15.

I just picked up a sawcut bone Rough Rider grand daddy barlow. I really like the blade profile, and the swedge is a nice touch. It has a slightly more substantial blade than the large toothpick, which is another favorite of mine.

I'm saving up a bit for a CSC Boy's Knife, might have to finally try out a couple of RRs to hold me over. Their single blade lockback sowbelly looks pretty tempting.

Just looked at some RRs today at a local store here. They only had 3, each a different style in some odd colors/acrylics, and in patterns Im not too in love with. I thought about getting one just to say I have one, but the cheapest was 18.99. Which I though would, or should be cheaper.
I know, I know......I just didn't want to get it today.
Maybe tomorrow. Lol

RRs are significantly cheaper than $18.99 if you order over the Internet. I paid less than $10 each for my two.

I really like that shield and the wormgroove jigging on the handles of that whittler!

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised. It's much nicer in hand than in pictures. I actually bought a second on accident (forgot I bid on it). The color and jigging are different enough that I don't feel like I have 2 of the exact same knife.

That shield is on my Little Barlow RR741. However I think the shield on my Once in a Blue Moon Trapper is very cheap looking. As far as price I paid less than $10 for both of mine on that river auction site.

Well, I finally made it home, after "only" 11 months and 2 weeks on the road.
The Rough Rider large coke bottle, stoneworx stockman, Colt canoe with carbon steel blades, 4 blade Hammer Brand canoe, and a few others I ordered around Christmas last year, that did not arrive before I had to go back to work were waiting for me.
First impressions? The Stoneworx Stockman: WOW!!!! The pictures I saw when I ordered it do not do it justice. It looks so good, I am almost afraid to carry and use it. It is bit bigger than I thought it would be, which is great, I've been wanting a stockman over 4 inches closed. It and the 4 blade Hammer Brand canoe are enough to displace my Buck 301 from my pocket for a bit. (Never thought that was possible.)
The Large coke bottle is also a bit bigger than expected. I was expecting around Buck 110/Uncle Henry LB7 size. It is more Cold Steel KUDU size. No matter, it should work just fine for skinning critters like deer. The Colt canoe was a nice surprise. The Ti coating looks like a nice even patina.
I think my EDC is going to be a little fancier for a while.

Back