Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Incoming:
small canoe in tortoise
Coal miners electricians knife
Red jigged camp knife
Amber jigged Barlow
Colt stag stockman

A couple of firsts for me. I'm especially excited about the camp knife and the Barlow.

The camp knife and Barlow I got are very good. I've been thinking about picking up another camp knife, as a backup, because it's so good.

Finally made it to the office today, and picked up the knives I had sent there.
Rough Rider 'Stroke of Luck' large stockman, Large Old Yellow handle stockman, Yellow Handle Marlin Spike, Yellow handle 6 blade Stockman, 'Twisted Bone' Canoe, Yellow handle two blade half hawk, and one of those no name all stainless hawkbill, with liner lock.

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. My first "defective" Rough Rider. :(
When I took the twisted bone canoe out of the box, the shield stayed behind.
A bit of "super glue" (not sure if genuine super glue or if it's a clone) applied to both cover and shield, should might maybe could ensure the shield remains with the knife for the rest of time.

The 6 blade stockman is impressive. No blade rub, no blade wobble, the pull on all blades feels anout the same as my Buck 301 or 371. Naturally, all blades are sharp. This one is residing in my pocket now.

As expected, none of the knives have blade play, noticable gaps, or other problems.
Not sure if by design or "oops" but the half hawk has half stops, on both blades. The main springs are flush in the closed and full open positions, but not on the halfs. Not a big deal, does not bother me (yet) so I don't plan on filing down the tangs for the half stop position ... yet ... maybe someday if it ever bugs me enough, and I am bored, have a jewlers file or two, have nothing better to do ...

That reminds me, I need to order another camp knife. Conchita claimed the first one as her own.

Incoming:
small canoe in tortoise
Coal miners electricians knife
Red jigged camp knife
Amber jigged Barlow
Colt stag stockman

A couple of firsts for me. I'm especially excited about the camp knife and the Barlow.
That looks like quite a haul, josha840; nice! :thumbup: I hope you share some pics when they arrive. The RR camp knife and Barlow are stellar, IMHO, but I think you'll be very impressed with the electrician's knife too!

Finally made it to the office today, and picked up the knives I had sent there.
Rough Rider 'Stroke of Luck' large stockman, Large Old Yellow handle stockman, Yellow Handle Marlin Spike, Yellow handle 6 blade Stockman, 'Twisted Bone' Canoe, Yellow handle two blade half hawk, and one of those no name all stainless hawkbill, with liner lock.

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. My first "defective" Rough Rider. :(
When I took the twisted bone canoe out of the box, the shield stayed behind.
A bit of "super glue" (not sure if genuine super glue or if it's a clone) applied to both cover and shield, should might maybe could ensure the shield remains with the knife for the rest of time.

The 6 blade stockman is impressive. No blade rub, no blade wobble, the pull on all blades feels anout the same as my Buck 301 or 371. Naturally, all blades are sharp. This one is residing in my pocket now.

As expected, none of the knives have blade play, noticable gaps, or other problems.
Not sure if by design or "oops" but the half hawk has half stops, on both blades. The main springs are flush in the closed and full open positions, but not on the halfs. Not a big deal, does not bother me (yet) so I don't plan on filing down the tangs for the half stop position ... yet ... maybe someday if it ever bugs me enough, and I am bored, have a jewlers file or two, have nothing better to do ...
Good to hear that you finally got to coon-finger and chicken-eye your knives, Steve!! :thumbup::cool: Any chance of getting some pics posted while you're not "on the road"?
Sorry to hear about the shield falling off your twisted bone canoe. :( I was intending to get one of those myself, and then read somewhere that the twisted bone covers for RR are glued on, rather than pinned. Can you verify that? Any pins visible on your twisted brown bone model?
Thanks for the report on the 6-blade stockman; the novelty of that model appeals to me, but I always wonder if all those blades can "play nice together". Sounds like you think it's a solid knife! :cool:
I admire your patience, sir! Enjoy those new knives you've been waiting for so long! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

That looks like quite a haul, josha840; nice! :thumbup: I hope you share some pics when they arrive. The RR camp knife and Barlow are stellar, IMHO, but I think you'll be very impressed with the electrician's knife too!

Good to hear that you finally got to coon-finger and chicken-eye your knives, Steve!! :thumbup::cool: Any chance of getting some pics posted while you're not "on the road"?
Sorry to hear about the shield falling off your twisted bone canoe. :( I was intending to get one of those myself, and then read somewhere that the twisted bone covers for RR are glued on, rather than pinned. Can you verify that? Any pins visible on your twisted brown bone model?
Thanks for the report on the 6-blade stockman; the novelty of that model appeals to me, but I always wonder if all those blades can "play nice together". Sounds like you think it's a solid knife! :cool:
I admire your patience, sir! Enjoy those new knives you've been waiting for so long! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

No pins on the twisted bone canoe. I will say that the covers are tight. No gaps liners or bolsters. If they used the same glue as on the faux tortouse tiny trapper and faux Abolone Barlow, I don't think you'll have to worry about the covers falling off.

I'd love to post some pictures, but the "smart" phone I have is either not smart enough or I'm not smart enough to post pictures using the phone.

Almost forgot. The 6 blade stockman seems to be quite solid. Amazingly, no blade rub anywhere. Does not feel much heavier in the pocket than their large (4 3/8 inch closed) stockmans.
I'm going to EDC the 6 blade and the Marlin Spike for a while, along with the twisted bone canoe.
I'll let you know if any problems.

Last edited:
Had a little surprise waiting for me in the mailbox today!

GT was kind enough to send me a smooth tobacco bone RR1286 Half-Hawk and a palindromic (1991) Washington quarter! The knife is super pretty and super tight, great F&F, once again vastly exceeding the expectations of the typical RR price point. It's also extra-awesome because it was a gift from a good friend on the porch, and another reminder of how awesome and how giving this place is! :thumbup:

Like your yeller hawk, afishhunter, the STB version has authoritative half-stops and zero wiggle. I really, really like the acorn shield/STB knives RR is putting out. I've only had one with any issues and the dealer is checking to see if any of the new stock doesn't suffer from the same issue (it's on a knife with a pliers, so it's not your 'typical' slipjoint issue anyway :eek:).

Many, many thanks to GT for embodying the kindness and generosity that we see so often (and almost take for granted!) here in our little forum. I'll carry this hawk and treasure it greatly!

- GT

Will do! Gotta learn this whole picture posting stuff.

Congrats on your new Half Hawk, Tony. :thumbup: That GT is a good guy, for sure.

Here's the Whittlin' Buddy he sent me:

I'm trying to decide what to whittle first.

Congrats on your new Half Hawk, Tony. :thumbup: That GT is a good guy, for sure.

IF you own the (live) tree, perhaps the face of a woods spirit?

(sorry, drawing a blank on what their proper name is.)

Had a little surprise waiting for me in the mailbox today!
GT was kind enough to send me a smooth tobacco bone RR1286 Half-Hawk and a palindromic (1991) Washington quarter! The knife is super pretty and super tight, great F&F, once again vastly exceeding the expectations of the typical RR price point. It's also extra-awesome because it was a gift from a good friend on the porch, and another reminder of how awesome and how giving this place is! :thumbup:

Like your yeller hawk, afishhunter, the STB version has authoritative half-stops and zero wiggle. I really, really like the acorn shield/STB knives RR is putting out. I've only had one with any issues and the dealer is checking to see if any of the new stock doesn't suffer from the same issue (it's on a knife with a pliers, so it's not your 'typical' slipjoint issue anyway :eek:).

Many, many thanks to GT for embodying the kindness and generosity that we see so often (and almost take for granted!) here in our little forum. I'll carry this hawk and treasure it greatly!
You're welcome, TB! Glad it got there safely and in good condition.

Glad you like it, Rachel.

I've been developing this "philosophy" that knives are meant to be where they'll be appreciated, and I shouldn't be reluctant to send on my knives to folks who'll probably appreciate them more than I do. I really enjoyed both the Halfhawk and the Whittlin' Buddy. But I knew TB was looking seriously for a smooth tobacco bone version of the Halfhawk, and I'd be just as happy with an amber jigged bone version, which is readily available. And Rachel is a more dedicated and talented whittler than I am, so the Appreciation Meter indicated the Buddy should head for Texas.

So if anyone sees knives I post that they'd really appreciate, just send me your shipping address and a description of how the knife moves you, and who knows?? :D

- GT

He sure is! :thumbup: With a three-day weekend you may end up with a house full of tchotchkes. :D

IF you own the (live) tree, perhaps the face of a woods spirit?
(sorry, drawing a blank on what their proper name is.)

173537-12.gif~c200

You're welcome, TB! Glad it got there safely and in good condition.

Very much appreciated! I've got a little something for you, along the same lines of knife-appreciation. If you responded to my email with a preferred mailing address I'll get everything ready to send out for after the holiday weekend.

Got this White Bone Barlow a few days ago and this thing is really nice! The bone is beautiful, blades are tight, centered and sharp although roughly ground but I'm gonna fix that with a Washita and Hard Black Arkansas uploadfromtaptalk1464530875927.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464530891747.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464530900687.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464530905964.jpg

Does anyone here know, is the RR963 whittler a split back model? Is the main blade thick enough that it uses both springs?
I can't find any pictures to confirm this? If anyone has one, how is the pull on the main? Also, the "midnight swirl"I assume
is plastic. I can't find any comments about it, so I guess it holds up ok?

I've been wanting to try out the canoe pattern and thought that would be a good excuse to also give Rough Rider a try. I've got my eye on the 3 5/8" with painted desert celluloid handles. But, then I started wondering: is that the same celluloid that you hear about breaking down, out-gassing, and corroding all the steel in its general vicinity? Or does modern celluloid not suffer from that problem?

I've been wanting to try out the canoe pattern and thought that would be a good excuse to also give Rough Rider a try. I've got my eye on the 3 5/8" with painted desert celluloid handles. But, then I started wondering: is that the same celluloid that you hear about breaking down, out-gassing, and corroding all the steel in its general vicinity? Or does modern celluloid not suffer from that problem?

Here's a thread I found online that briefly addresses the issue; I have no idea of how accurate the info is, but I hope it's true: http://iknifecollector.com/m/group?id=3181080%3AGroup%3A255376&maxDate=2012-07-31T01%3A29%3A18.385Z

(You can search the link for "celluloid" to find the relevant part. Or here's a cut and paste:
++++
Tobias Gibson
About today's celluloid. for the most part, today the term is a misnomer. The material may look like celluloid but most knife makers gave up on it celluloid long ago. Today most of what is called celluloid is normally acrylic and it won't gas out. Celluloid was made of nitrocellulose and camphor. Overtime the camphor would react with the nitrocellulose and release gases. Basically you'd have mini-factory producing acid rain on your knife. Acrylic is synthetic petroleum based hard plastic. I think Polymethyl methacrylate is the most common acrylic resin used for knife handles. It is inexpensive and well as extremely stable and will not "gas out."
Jun 22, 2012
++++)

- GT

So, the midnight swirl material is probably acrylic as well? My whittler should be here tomorrow, I'm interested to see how they did with this scale material.

Back