Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I got one a few months ago, it might be earlier in this thread. The pull is a little weak, but otherwise a nice knife.

yPWhtoc.jpg

I got one a few months ago, it might be earlier in this thread. The pull is a little weak, but otherwise a nice knife.

yPWhtoc.jpg

So, I got the midnight swirl whittler. The scales have an interesting pattern, but are shrunken, and a bit warped.
Not a material I would get again.

Here are some pics of Rough Riders that arrived this week.

A sawcut brown bone canoe:
xhfpuWq.jpg

qMzBB1U.jpg

A half-whittler in amber jigged bone:
BwEiqfG.jpg

KHQnQ1Z.jpg

A red jigged bone baby copperhead:
Scgy0XH.jpg

ofZb43A.jpg

MGX5P0u.jpg

A trio of stag canoes (I already have one - can't explain why I bought 3 more :confused:):
FGz8G7F.jpg

jJ1n8DL.jpg

- GT

Perhaps because they look great? ... That's a nice fleet of canoe's you've acquired!
Thanks, zolthar. :)

Have you discover a honey hole of Rough Rider stag Gary?
Well, Mike, I have found a dealer who seems to have access to NOS RR stag canoes. ;) Now if I could find a reliable source for some of the other stag patterns RR once produced, I'd be a happy camper! :D

Corwyn_bv, is that 6-blade Colt solidly built? Does it have 4 backsprings? Can you post a photo showing its "width", looking down on either the spine or the "blade well"? Thanks!

- GT

Just got my first RR in the mail today. The F&F isn't bad, some gaps here and there, and the leather tie for the whistle broke immediately after coming out of the box. For $16, though, it was worth it, especially with the pocket clipped leather sheath!

qAZEnmc.jpg

Today I tossed a Peanut in my pocket. From the Colt Black Stag Bone Series. Would love to find some RR's with real Stag, but no luck just yet. I have been looking at a few Frost's with Stag. Not sure how they compare overall in quality to RR's. As I have many RR's, but only one Frost right now. And the one sample I have is not as clean (in fit/finish) as my many Rough Rider's / Colt's.

15gtb9w.jpg

Corwyn_bv, is that 6-blade Colt solidly built? Does it have 4 backsprings? Can you post a photo showing its "width", looking down on either the spine or the "blade well"? Thanks!

Yap. Looks well built to me. I didn't use it much but it's got nice snap, decent opening and stays open nicely, also it's smooth throughout which I really like.
It's not a shaving sharp as my other Colt and the black isn't "jet-black" throughout plus it was a stiff out of the box but it works nice now. Really easy to access blades. 4 backsprings and not as thick as I'd have imagined.

Here it is compared to a Trapper, a Tinker and an EvoGrip 11 (the knives I had in my drawer :p )

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

bflying, that's an attractive peanut! :cool: I like Colt's black stag bone covers.

Corwyn_bv, Thanks for the very helpful info and comparison shots! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! Four back springs and six blades? That's quite the knife. I've never seen anything quite like it. What is the pattern called? It's a bit big for a Stockman.

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! Four back springs and six blades? That's quite the knife. I've never seen anything quite like it. What is the pattern called? It's a bit big for a Stockman.

RR also makes 5-spring, 5-blade trappers.

I don't have any individual photos but it is the second from the left in the group shot. Far and away the thickest of any of the knives pictured there.

I just received this Colt Utlity/Scout knife in the mail. I don't have the energy for a review right now but to say that I'm impressed is an understatement.

I usually keep my Rough Rider, Colt, and other inexpensive knives in a cigar box separate from the rest of my collection but this one is going in with the "good knives".

I'll let the photos do the talking but I do want to mention that I really like the fact that it does not have a bail.

I just received this Colt Utlity/Scout knife in the mail. I don't have the energy for a review right now but to say that I'm impressed is an understatement.

I usually keep my Rough Rider, Colt, and other inexpensive knives in a cigar box separate from the rest of my collection but this one is going in with the "good knives".

A good knife is a good knife.

Back