Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

My two, a smooth tobacco bone Sunfish with mismatched scales that I very much like & a "Coal miner" half hawk that I removed the coal miner etching from the blade, it's been in my pocket for work since getting it three weeks ago & I love it!
Really fancy a half hawk in smooth tobacco but not easy to track one down this side of the pond.

DSC07153_zps5fmhucbu.jpg

Both have had edges on scales & metalwork rounded.

DSC07155_zpswgkt9whb.jpg

Looking forward to getting more.

I've got three of the"Custom shop" kit knives waiting to be built, the Buck 110 style, a 2 blade trapper & a Stockman, the trapper & Stockman I'm thinking of building as single blades.

How did you remove the etch from the Coal Miner half hawk? I need to do that on my RR Diamond Jim lockback.
Thanks in advance
Rich

How did you remove the etch from the Coal Miner half hawk?

I used 1500 wet-n-dry paper.

If it was a knife to display I'd have then polished it with mops to get it back to mirror, but seeing as this is a work knife the 1500 leaves a finish that's acceptable, the fine scratches are hardly noticeable.

Mentioned recently that the bone/stag scales on my new Colt were mismatched, the shield side being slightly anaemic in comparison to the other. Well I've dyed the scale with a tea and coffee mixture and, although the one side is still not quite as dark as the other, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Before:

Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

After:

Cleaned off surface with white spirit and rinsed thoroughly, submerged in a solution of tea (four bags boiled in a pan for four minutes) half a teaspoon of coffee and a couple of sprinkles of salt. Seems to have worked just enough to darken down the pale areas nearest the bolsters to a colour similar to that on the opposite side. I covered the bolsters in petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to protect them and submerged the scale for 18 hours.

Thanks to Will Power for information regarding this technique. :):thumbup:

Last edited:
Blake the Blade
A great job I think. I would be pleased too. I might try some of mine.
ADEE

I was told that Rough Riders are made in 440A and that steel is shipped to China for finishing and assembly from the US. They take advantage of the lower priced Chinese labor. IF that is so, maybe that's why they are better than Frosts who has many of their knives made entirely in China. Some made in Pakistan as I recall too.

I was showing off my Rough Riders to a friend of mine and he was pretty impressed. He bought 8 stockman knives for the groomsmen at his wedding.

Looked at one yesterday that I believe is called their old tire. Black scales that look like rubber. Looked kind of cool for $10. I believe it is a trapper.

Got a couple in Rams Horn that I wanted to try out.

The Rough Rider sowbelly ( I like this frame! so much I got a Case/Bose sowbelly recently) is a disappointment only because the scales were uneven with the bolsters by a large margin and really couldn't stand holding it. So I had to spend a couple hours to sand them down not mess up the bolsters. Everything now matched to a satin finish. The rams horn were also mismatched ( each on their own do look nice), but all in all a good usable knife after the elbow grease.
The Marbles barlow is good solid , usual rough-rider-like fit and finish and the rams horn looks and feels great. I'll try other Marble knives now.

Love the look of that Marbles Barlow!

Thanks for posting the picture. Glad to hear it's a good model!

I've several Marbles and love them! Colts also. Both barlows along with the RR standard barlows (love barlows). IMHO, even though I know they are made in the same factory, I think the Marbles > Colts > RR are great knives in that order.

Rich

Good to know Rich S...thanks The Burgh:thumbup::thumbup:.

Honk Falls/Frost now that's a new one to me. Some of the Frost knives have so-so fnf, hows that one deltaboy?

And the pile side Ram's Horn on the Barlow is flat out beautiful

Last edited:
Good to know Rich S...thanks The Burgh:thumbup::thumbup:.

Honk Falls/Frost now that's a new one to me. Some of the Frost knives have so-so fnf, hows that one deltaboy?

And the pile side Ram's Horn on the Barlow is flat out beautiful

Fit and Finsh is nice , got a nice walk and talk and the blades came pretty sharp out of the box.
I got this one off the Bay [price and eBay dealer removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fit and Finsh is nice , got a nice walk and talk and the blades came pretty sharp out of the box.
I got this one off the Bay for [match edited post above].
Nice Barlow. [too many dealer references to fix]

I use to buy knives from [anothe]website, but it's been down for 3 weeks. Anyone know if they are planning to continue it or just sell of the book store and auction site?
Rich

Back