Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Thanks for the info, Rich S. I might have to pick up a Marbles or Colt knife. Maybe a barlow or canoe (my faves). What do y'all think of Kissing Crane knives? I would think the quality might be like that of RR, Marbles, etc. Anyone have any experience with them?

Alex

FelineGirl -

I don't have any Kissing Crane knives, never have; so I can't give any opinion of them. They look nice, but have no idea how well made or how they hold up with use.
Rich

Thanks, Rich, for your input. I think I'll put off buying a Kissing Crane for now. I just ordered a Colt barlow in stag (my first Colt) and a RR canoe in red smooth bone. As though I needed yet another RR canoe! [emoji5] I have a soft spot for these two patterns.

Alex

Thanks, Rich, for your input. I think I'll put off buying a Kissing Crane for now. I just ordered a Colt barlow in stag (my first Colt) and a RR canoe in red smooth bone. As though I needed yet another RR canoe! [emoji5] I have a soft spot for these two patterns.

Alex

I have a Colt Canoe in Genuine Stag; love it, it's in my pocket right now!

3 posts edited.
Gents, the same rules apply in this thread as elsewhere in this forum.
Do not discuss price or non-BF dealers.
This forum is for discussion knives, not where to buy them.

You want to say you bought it on "a large auction site"? OK.
You start mentioning dealers on the auction site? Not OK.

And veiled references to non-BF dealers aren't going to cut it, either.

n45wv1I.jpg

Rough Rider Camp/Scout knife.

n45wv1I.jpg

Rough Rider Camp/Scout knife.

That's a sweet camp/scout knife! R redden sweetly gifted me one of these in red jigged bone over the summer. I had no idea how often I'd use it! All the time, it turns out! It's become my go-to knife on my coffee table, used for anything and everything. It's an awesome tank of a knife. I fully expect it to outlive me.

Alex

That's a sweet camp/scout knife! R redden sweetly gifted me one of these in red jigged bone over the summer. I had no idea how often I'd use it! All the time, it turns out! It's become my go-to knife on my coffee table, used for anything and everything. It's an awesome tank of a knife. I fully expect it to outlive me.

Alex

They're definitely well made and decent quality especially for their price point, and I've given a few to friends and family and they've all enjoyed them. :)

Oooh, oooh - tell me about that lanyard, please!

For the lanyard/fob I used a length of navy blue paracord with a couple of two-strand stopper knots on each side of a wooden bead wrapped with orange reflective guy line tied in a three pass gaucho knot, which got a brushed on coat of clear drying krazy/super glue to secure it on the bead. I usually leave enough space between the bead/knot and the ring/girth/cow hitch end attached to the knife to tuck a finger in when using the knife for added retention, so as to not drop the knife when using it, like if one was up in a tree stand, on a ladder, in a boat, on a dock, etc. where dropping a knife could mean damaging or losing it, just mentioned for those that ask what purpose a lanyard/fob has since I get asked often. They can be decorative AND useful, so I encourage folks to get some cord and start tying. ;)

They're definitely well made and decent quality especially for their price point, and I've given a few to friends and family and they've all enjoyed them. :)

For the lanyard/fob I used a length of navy blue paracord with a couple of two-strand stopper knots on each side of a wooden bead wrapped with orange reflective guy line tied in a three pass gaucho knot, which got a brushed on coat of clear drying krazy/super glue to secure it on the bead. I usually leave enough space between the bead/knot and the ring/girth/cow hitch end attached to the knife to tuck a finger in when using the knife for added retention, so as to not drop the knife when using it, like if one was up in a tree stand, on a ladder, in a boat, on a dock, etc. where dropping a knife could mean damaging or losing it, just mentioned for those that ask what purpose a lanyard/fob has since I get asked often. They can be decorative AND useful, so I encourage folks to get some cord and start tying. ;)
Nice. I really like it and fobs definitely serve a good purpose on a knife. I used to tie some pretty fancy stuff like star knots and lighthouse fobs, but got out of it due to lack of time.

Edit: Aha! I found your channel on Youtube. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've been looking at those recently, your opinion of fit & finish?

The fit and finish on the couple of Rough Riders like this that I've bought were great. I'd given my pa a 'Coal Miner' version a few years ago. No gaps with the scales and liners, no cracks in the bone, good snap, good lock up with the linerlock, no blade play. Well worth the price I paid for 'em. I only wish it had a lanyard hole or bail. :)

The fit and finish on the couple of Rough Riders like this that I've bought were great. I'd given my pa a 'Coal Miner' version a few years ago. No gaps with the scales and liners, no cracks in the bone, good snap, good lock up with the linerlock, no blade play. Well worth the price I paid for 'em. I only wish it had a lanyard hole or bail. :)
Thanks, just the info I was looking for. Officially on the want list.:thumbup:

Back