Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Anyone willing to verify that they truly are carbon steel? We've been going around and around on this for, like, a couple years now, and I've yet to see one of these knives that are indisputably carbon steel, because the descriptions were worded a little too ambiguously, and nobody was able to confirm first hand either way. The addition of that stupid titanium coating always seemed a bit like an obfuscation more than anything else. I mean, what kind of traditional knife nut gets a carbon steel blade with a coating such that it will not patina?
I recall that Schrade had a line of "X-timer" knives near the end which included several traditional patterns with titanium coated blades. They had also switched the 34 OT to stainless during the last years of production. As I recall from the Schrade Collectors forum, both of these moves were the result of a high number of knives being returned because of rust forming as a result of pre-sale handling. The Rough Rider/Colt knives may also be getting coated for the same reason, as they are travelling a long way to the consumer. I agree that such treatment does smack of ambiguous obfuscation, and admire your righteous indignation (as well as your word choice!).

I stopped into the local knife store yesterday. He has a good selection of modern folders and fixed blades, but not a lot in traditionals except for some used items. (I'm still trying to make up my mind about an American-made 834UH he has there.) However, I did discover that he has some Rough Riders. I've been thinking about checking them out, so... Most of the patterns weren't to my liking, but he had five or six very attractive large trappers. That's a larger knife than I like and I have no idea what I'll do with one, but this trapper in jigged red bone was too nice not to take home. So far I'm very impressed and I know I'll want to try some of their other patterns! :thumbsup: I guess if nothing else I can use the clip to slice bread and the spey to spread peanut butter... ;) Otherwise, it's just a delight to handle and look at.

35761178565_70dd07b274_c.jpg

That looks a lot like my red Frost trapper, except that mine is a sickly shade of red that makes it hard to love. It is too big and ugly to carry, but it sits on my desk and gets a lot of use slicing bagels and schmiering cream cheese.

That looks a lot like my red Frost trapper, except that mine is a sickly shade of red that makes it hard to love. It is too big and ugly to carry, but it sits on my desk and gets a lot of use slicing bagels and schmiering cream cheese.

Yeah, the more I look at this Trapper the more I think it will make a good food prep knife / eating utensil. I went out and whittled a bit on a piece of dried wild cherry then ran it over a fine ceramic rod about ten times per side and it was back to shaving sharp.

How do those Armor Hide covers feel in hand, Gary? They look like they would give a good grip.
Grippy and comfortable for me!
Steve, I agree with cchu518. :thumbsup: I'm quite fond of textured handles in general, and regularly textured in particular: gunstock checked bone, Alox SAKs, now this armor hide bone. :cool:

Nice looking Canoes!
Hey GT nice haul of Canoes. Handsome little devils.
Thanks, deltaboy and Vinifera. :)

Besides my canoes, I picked up some other Rough Rider models in the same order, and should post them here to "record them for posterity". :rolleyes:

RR baby copperhead with red jigged bone covers:
iYVJxaq.jpg

DXMvdA5.jpg

RR medium stockman, also in red jigged bone (different shade of red, I think):
eMsdHHn.jpg

KotaRSl.jpg

RR Eureka stockman, with red (strawberry?) jigged bone covers again:
8Cznh10.jpg

JcyzrrF.jpg

Another RR stockman, this time a Silver Select Sowbelly with smooth white bone:
rpcJZdg.jpg

Ez6v8CW.jpg

RR "improved muskrat" with smooth tobacco bone:
rkcEJNa.jpg

rFYZHlw.jpg

Finally, a RR large sodbuster with linerlock. Handles are advertised as black micarta, but I can't see the "weave of the fabric" I'm used to seeing in micarta:
dzhQVpC.jpg

LM3rbip.jpg

Actually, there was one more knife in the order, but not a Rough Rider. Is a Cognet (maker of Douk-Douk) knife a "related slipjoint"? I'll say yes for now, and present this l'ecureuil squirrel knife:
aChYTHB.jpg

- GT

Thanks, Vinifera! :)
It's easy to get on a roll when I'm just being a copycat. :rolleyes:
I just keep an eye out for knives other people try and like, and then I "jump on the bandwagon"! :thumbsup:;)

(Preview of Coming Attractions: I think I can get a Rough Rider baseball cap soon! :D:cool: Dermatologist says I must wear a billed cap outside year round, so I've got Buck Knives and Böker caps in transit right now, and will probably order a Rough Rider this week. I'll proudly work those 3 caps into my cap rotation! :thumbsup:)

- GT

Can soneone post a link to an online store (or PM me if you are a member) that has a good collection of Rough Riders. I want to get the Canoe in some nice handle grips.

All I find is on Ebay. I was wondering if there are cheaper prices and especially the more rare grip handles like the ones posted above by 5K Q's

Just Google "Rough Rider knives" and look for a shop in the Smokey Mountains. Also that big bookstore online has them.

Rich

I just ordered a Rough Rider Whittler from a small family business in Michigan. My first time dealing with them, but they have an A+ BBB rating. I found them through a Google search for Rough Rider knives.

Back