Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

This improved muskrat shows up a lot darker to the naked eye, more of a caramel color. After Gary posted about his, I just had to get mine out for show and tell, and of course, to cut the cigar.
IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG

Well ... Bought a couple "Related" today. :)
Old Timer set of 95OT Large Trapper and 12OT PAL.
Blades are 7Cr17MoV, according to the package.
Grinds are even, but to be honest, I think I'm going to have to hit them with a strop. Not quite as sharp as Rough Rider, but it'll work.
No gaps anywhere, and no blade wobble, and the blades are all nicely centered.
For under $10 each I figure I got a good deal. :)

Last edited:
This Rough Rider Half Hawk is a lot of knife! Four inches of smooth 'tobacco' bone handle, the pen blade is two inches long: as long as the primary blade on some of my small knives. I'm not sure why they call it a Half-hawk. I'd expect it to have a hawkbill pruner style blade, but I think the straight edge is easier to sharpen and will do much of the same kind of utility work.

Rough Rider Half-Hawk fixed.jpg

It would be nice to see RR do a Barlow in tobacco bone. I have been considering getting a 2 blade Barlow lately, and after reading the "Too Snooty for an Economy Sodbuster" thread have come to the conclusion that RR would be an excellent choice as a user. Most of the ones on-line at the moment are in red bone however. I would get one, but I would like to see some real world examples first. Are there posts already in this (now pretty long) thread showing the red bone Barlow? If not, could someone who owns one post a picture or two? Many thanks!

There are RR Barlows in tobacco bone out there, you just don't see them much anymore.

Their red bone usually has a consistent color saturation, if a bit light sometimes (not pink though). They seem to take dye well if you want a darker color red also.

There are RR Barlows in tobacco bone out there, you just don't see them much anymore.

Their red bone usually has a consistent color saturation, if a bit light sometimes (not pink though). They seem to take dye well if you want a darker color red also.
You can get one in white bone, and dye it any color you want. (or try some scrimshaw) I prefer Barlows sans shield, so that's another advantage, IMO.
rough rider barlow 001.jpg

That is a good idea. I have a smooth white that is "black speckled" on the mark side. It would be a good candidate for a dye job.

BTW Rachel, aren't you afraid of snakes in the grass?

This Rough Rider Half Hawk is a lot of knife! Four inches of smooth 'tobacco' bone handle, the pen blade is two inches long: as long as the primary blade on some of my small knives. I'm not sure why they call it a Half-hawk. I'd expect it to have a hawkbill pruner style blade, but I think the straight edge is easier to sharpen and will do much of the same kind of utility work.

View attachment 738329

I have the Old Yeller vesion. A great knife, well suited to heavier work. :)

Thanks! As long as it isn't pink it would probably be fine.

You can get one in white bone, and dye it any color you want. (or try some scrimshaw) I prefer Barlows sans shield, so that's another advantage, IMO.

On the other hand, yes I dislike shields in the handle (since they will fall out eventually), so maybe I should consider white. Will the white handles get darker over time naturally? Thanks!

I took this photo yesterday for the stainless steel thread...might as well stick in here, too. I think they look pretty good out on the Trex. :cool:

37T7UeP.jpg

VfiDXoA.jpg

The black G10 Bow Trappers with high carbon steel came today. These are fantastic looking knives! I'm digging the swedges. Both came shaving sharp. Both have tiny gaps between the brass scales and the backsprings.

The black G10 Bow Trappers with high carbon steel came today. These are fantastic looking knives! I'm digging the swedges. Both came shaving sharp. Both have tiny gaps between the brass scales and the backsprings.
Very nice lines on those, the curve of the handle reminds me of the classic Australian Stockman and Bunny Knives.

Back