Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

VfiDXoA.jpg

The black G10 Bow Trappers with high carbon steel came today. These are fantastic looking knives! I'm digging the swedges. Both came shaving sharp. Both have tiny gaps between the brass scales and the backsprings.

Very good looking knives. :)
I may have to get one to go with my Colt carbon steel canoe.

It really is hard to believe how excellent the Rough Rider knives are for the price. They look great and I have never gotten a dud.
Not really so hard to believe. They have really demonstrated remarkable insight into the marketplace. They get a huge discount in production costs in both labor and material through the location of their physical plant, and QC is helped by having very modern factories with strict oversight by management. Not to mention the overall volume of sales they have, which at this point is very large indeed. They seem to have done quite a fine job at figuring out how to get the best possible work turned out, at the lowest price point to the consumer.

Considering the demand for higher end knives like GEC, it might be a good market for them if they made a premium line with maybe D2 steel. I would definitely consider dropping a little more cash given my experiences thus far.

Not Rough Rider, but Colt (when SMKW had the label) made a very nice TS/LL in D2 - two model handles. I have them both and am very pleased with them. Hard to sharpen, but really holds an edge.
Rich

Not Rough Rider, but Colt (when SMKW had the label) made a very nice TS/LL in D2 - two model handles. I have them both and am very pleased with them. Hard to sharpen, but really holds an edge.
Rich
Well, they did bring the Colts with carbon steel blades back under the Rough Rider brand.
Maybe they'll bring the D2 models back as well, perhaps under the Marbles brand?

Considering the demand for higher end knives like GEC, it might be a good market for them if they made a premium line with maybe D2 steel. I would definitely consider dropping a little more cash given my experiences thus far.

They certainly make more money at this time in volume of sales for the mass market than they would competing for a limited niche market. It also often seems that they are selling everything that they produce, taking in quite a lot of cash. If there is a large enough demand though they will no doubt fill it very efficiently, at some point, based on their current sales model.

Here's a Rough Rider Copper Ridge clip/spey pen knife that I ordered on Independence Day, and am just now getting around to posting here. Rose Titanium coating on stainless blades (not sure why), grooved buffalo horn covers, copper bolsters, pins, and liners. I've always admired the copper Ka-Bar dog's head knives I've occasionally seen on The Porch, and I'm happy to get a chance to have an "economy version" of the copper experience. My only complaint about the knife so far is that I was hoping it would be a single-spring model, but it has a spring for each blade. ;)
S8AXa4a.jpg

BPFihY5.jpg

Fus4Gor.jpg

- GT

Here's a Rough Rider Copper Ridge clip/spey pen knife that I ordered on Independence Day, and am just now getting around to posting here. Rose Titanium coating on stainless blades (not sure why), grooved buffalo horn covers, copper bolsters, pins, and liners. I've always admired the copper Ka-Bar dog's head knives I've occasionally seen on The Porch, and I'm happy to get a chance to have an "economy version" of the copper experience. My only complaint about the knife so far is that I was hoping it would be a single-spring model, but it has a spring for each blade. ;)
S8AXa4a.jpg

BPFihY5.jpg

Fus4Gor.jpg

- GT

That's a real beauty, Gary. :)
Maybe they thought the "coppery" color blades would look better than an uncoated high polish blade?

S8AXa4a.jpg

BPFihY5.jpg

Fus4Gor.jpg

- GT

How are the pins on that? I ended up gifting a lockback of that series bc I didnt like the pins or the spine/spring edges

That's a real beauty, Gary. :)
Maybe they thought the "coppery" color blades would look better than an uncoated high polish blade?
Thanks, Steve. :) Your conjecture about the blade coating makes sense to me; I agree that the coated blades look better with the copper hardware than mirror-polished stainless would. :thumbsup:

How are the pins on that? I ended up gifting a lockback of that series bc I didnt like the pins or the spine/spring edges
You mean do the pins stick up or have sharp edges? I haven't noticed anything like that so far, although I haven't really used the knife in any substantial way yet. Nothing jumps out at me though, like proud pins that seem to be by design on Taylor-Schrade Old Timers, or rough edges on liners that you can feel just holding the knife. I'm very pleased with fit and finish so far. :thumbsup:

Hi guys as anyone tried the new rough riders premium select range yet . or the rough rider scrimshaw set ? If so what's your thoughts on them . Thanks for any info you can give :)

I received this 3.5" Roper stockman two weeks ago. An affordable carbon steel (1065) traditional.

At first I was a bit dissapointed: fit and finish wasn't up to par with Rough Rider at a slightly higher price, but that didn't really bother me. What did bother me was that there was absolutely no snap in all the blades.

But after a bath and oiled up the snap has improved incredibly: all blades have good snap now. After totin' it around for the last two weeks I quite like this knife :cool:

The most striking F&F 'issues' that I perceived are:
* The spey blade rests against the liner.
* The sheepsfoot blade rests against the spey and that is also the direction it will be pushed when opening the blade.
* Some pins are a bit proud: they catch on your fingers when you move them over the scales.

What I really like is the sleek main blade, long secondaries, the jigging and color of the bone and the fact that is has carbon steel blades.

Interesting observation on the long secondaries: they are longer than the secondaries on the equally sized GEC #66 Calf Roper, but with a larger tang the cutting edge is roughly the same length.

Mark

I received this 3.5" Roper stockman two weeks ago. An affordable carbon steel (1065) traditional.

At first I was a bit dissapointed: fit and finish wasn't up to par with Rough Rider at a slightly higher price, but that didn't really bother me. What did bother me was that there was absolutely no snap in all the blades.

But after a bath and oiled up the snap has improved incredibly: all blades have good snap now. After totin' it around for the last two weeks I quite like this knife :cool:

The most striking F&F 'issues' that I perceived are:
* The spey blade rests against the liner.
* The sheepsfoot blade rests against the spey and that is also the direction it will be pushed when opening the blade.
* Some pins are a bit proud: they catch on your fingers when you move them over the scales.

What I really like is the sleek main blade, long secondaries, the jigging and color of the bone and the fact that is has carbon steel blades.

Interesting observation on the long secondaries: they are longer than the secondaries on the equally sized GEC #66 Calf Roper, but with a larger tang the cutting edge is roughly the same length.

Mark

A very good looking knife. :)

Back