Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

5K Qs, sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is smooth tobacco bone and looks very good. I haven't used it yet but like it a lot.

ED, I agree, the RR yellow comp is really great stuff.

utba3Tl.jpg

Thanks GT. Both sizes are stag bone models.
Thanks, Dwight. :thumbsup::) I didn't even notice until today that you posted two different stag bone cotton samplers, even though they obviously have different shields! :eek:o_O I'd better continue experimenting with various "powers" of reading glasses. :rolleyes:

I hammered the bolster and it worked perfectly, just tapped a little and checked, tapped a little and checked. I lost a tiny bit of 'snap' on the closing but all blade play is gone. Good to go now!

Way to go, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm glad you could fix it. Did you have to peen the pivot pin after tightening?

- GT

Did you have to peen the pivot pin after tightening?
I didn't peen it. It sticks up just barely, but doesn't bother me. I'm happy with the fix and don't want to mess it up trying to make it perfect. :D

Three Rough Rider knife kits I've had for over a year that I have recently got motivated to build, a Buck type lock-back & a two & three blade kit built as single blade knives (trapper & sow belly I think?).
Kit numbers CS1, 2 & 3.
Scales are not the supplied laminated wood but Briar root burl, just because I have some & thought it'd look better.
Two of the knives have slightly larger brass pivot pins rather than the supplied pins due to me messing them up while trying to get a nice fit :rolleyes:.

ixkohyH.jpg

sfwdQgJ.jpg

f1obazq.jpg

JJ83uCh.jpg

Built my first tonight. Total beater, especially after seeing yours , which are beautiful. The kit is janky as all get out. Spent a fair amount of time at the drill press and bench grinder, both of which were recently given to me. Not gonna lie though, I’m proud of it.

I pick up a couple of the kits (#1 & 3 I think) a few years ago. If I remember correctly, I paid a couple bucks more than the completed knives sold for. But I had no problem with the price. I'm totally the guy won't pay $30 for a wallet, when I can go to the leather shop and spend $300 on supplies to make one....or three.

But after opening, I discovered that there is a lot more that goes into assembly than I realized. So I put them back on the shelf. I pull them out once or twice a year thinking I really should tackle that project, then distract myself with something else and put them back up. :D Someday.

212tkiv.jpg

wish thay made more single blade models

a slimline trapper or single blade on a stockman frame like the old Buck 302 would be great

That's an attractive sowbelly, R.c.s R.c.s ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I enjoy several Rough Rider sowbelly stockman knives I have, and I also like the Masonic canoe I have,
xPaKt91.jpg

so I think I'm going to have to add a Masonic sowbelly like yours to my cart next time I place an order with my favorite Rough Rider vendor! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks GT . Nice canoe . The only problem with mine is the masonic shield is slightly screw wif . So I hope you get one the same as your canoe .:)

Just checked over the small lockback I posted earlier and it has developed cracks despite minimal use, dismal :(

Here's a COLT. Finish and fit are really good, quality I'd say but I've never really taken to the knife despite liking the Gunshot Bone. Why not? Not keen on the Gunstock as a pattern, too square & sharp awkward feeling in the hand. Don't like Sabre ground..too much of a bling approach in general, but it's well sorted as a knife.

dDwI33o.jpg

Just checked over the small lockback I posted earlier and it has developed cracks despite minimal use, dismal :(

Here's a COLT. Finish and fit are really good, quality I'd say but I've never really taken to the knife despite liking the Gunshot Bone. Why not? Not keen on the Gunstock as a pattern, too square & sharp awkward feeling in the hand. Don't like Sabre ground..too much of a bling approach in general, but it's well sorted as a knife.

dDwI33o.jpg
Nice here is my canoe in the same series

Here are the two small Cotton Samplers. Smooth Tobacco Bone and Jigged Bone. F&F are very high on these two the Jigged slightly better as the Smooth has mismatched sides in terms of colour. Very nice small knives which slice cheeses and salami surprisingly well yet unlike the full-size pattern are not unwieldy. Recommended.

G06UYcu.jpg

JNtoXPd.jpg

Back