1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, GT! I liked the whale so much, and was a little nervous I'd mess up the other side. Squids are hard to draw. That is: a poorly drawn whale will still look like some sort of fish. A poorly drawn squid could look like all sorts of strange and ugly things. o_O

WValtakis and Henry Beige like this.
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I agree that squids could pose a drawing challenge (but, for me, that's true of almost everything :p). You sure nailed it, though! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I think I might start "stealing" your scrimshaw pics and keep a file of them; I'd be impressed with the sketches on paper, but your representing them on bone is always amazing to me.

Coincidence alert!! :eek: I have 2 white smooth bone RRs (besides the Euler's Identity stockman you sent me :)): a canoe and a marlin spike. When I saw your whale on the Barlow, I started thinking about what would be good scrimshaw subjects for my 2 knives, and I immediately came up with a canoe for the canoe (inspired by the Native American in canoe engraved on Case canoe blades) and a marlin (swordfish? sailfish?) on the marlin spike. (A mermaid or a sailor were subsequent marlin spike ideas.)

- GT

3. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    I tried to scrim a lighthouse on a sailor's knife a few years ago, but I'm not pleased with the results. I'd like to think I could do better now, but it's always a risk. I might use this one to practice: see if I can sand off the design and try again:
    [​IMG]

bflying, WValtakis, edbeau and 6 others like this.
  4. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    That is absolutely amazing work, @r8shell . I'm very impressed. Both are immediately recognizable. You must have very good eyes and a steady hand!:thumbsup::cool:

Will Power, r8shell and Captvideo like this.
  5. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Very nice.

R.c.s likes this.
  6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    TRIVIA ALERT
    This intrigued me so I did some quick research and learned that the fish is named after the tool and not the other way around. Also, although either is considered correct, marlinspike may be the preferred spelling. (It's just one of those words that stuck with me from an early age for some reason. I first encountered it when looking through my father's old copy of the Bluejacket's Manual, which includes a chapter on "Marlinspike Seamanship".) :p

bflying and zolthar like this.
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @r8shell Here's a Small RR Barlow in White Bone only 7cm /2.75" Despite its small size a very credible little knife you might like to try some challenging Scrim on this Liliputian. Might need surgeon's glasses though ;):D

[​IMG]

bflying, Laurelbb, Frailer and 3 others like this.
  8. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Great job @r8shell , That squid came out great.
    Did you happen to see the article on scrim' in the new ( June 2019 ) issue of Knife magazine?
    The title is Basic Scrimshaw Part 2 so I would guess that Part 1 is in May's issue. ( I don't have that one. )

dc50 likes this.
  9. r8shell

Jan 16, 2010
    Interesting. I wonder how the tool got its name?
    I think I have a jeweler's loupe around here somewhere...
    Really?!? I'm behind on reading, and sure hope I have that issue. I think my subscription runs out around June, been meaning to re-up. Thanks for the heads up, gotta read that!

Ramrodmb likes this.
  10. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Etymology

Marlinspike derives from the practice of "marling", winding small diameter twine called marline around larger ropes to form protective whippings.[1] The long-billed fish marlin is named after the marlinspike.[2]

1. marlinespike". Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1), Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary. 2006.
    2. Douglas Harper (November 2001). "marlin". Online Etymological Dictionary

[from Wikipedia]

11. bonzodog

bonzodog Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 3, 2011
    4E4FFCB1-9DDB-4FFC-878C-F1E901AE39E6.jpeg This one was sent to me as a gift,never owned a RR before.Have to say at the price point it’s a good knife.

bflying, Gevonovich, Dschal and 5 others like this.
  12. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    Cudgee, the RR Ram's Horn is bone, I believe. Better just to get a smooth bone knife.

13. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Thanks.:thumbsup:

14. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the enthralling etymology, Ace! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  15. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    Cudgee, If you want to try real Ram's Horn check out Marble's Ram Horn Knives. Mine are posted somewhere in this thread.

16. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Thanks. I've got one on it's way, waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Be interesting to compare it to Rough Rider. I am going to try and find your posts. but i'm not very good at this. Thanks again for your reply.:thumbsup:

17. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    Cudgee, Look at page 222.

18. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    Thanks. They look good. You obviously think they are a good knife. I am looking forward to receiving mine. Is there anything that you think i should know about them. Thanks alot.;)

19. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    I think they are well made and the Ram's Horn is real. I was surprised that the horn material was translucent underneath. I never saw or owned a Ram's Horn knife before these. Waiting to see which one you ordered.

20. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    I've ordered the 3 blade stockman, which is the one you posted on the 12th Sept. on page 222.:thumbsup: