Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Holy Sea Monsters! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Fantastic addition to the pile side of your Barlow, r8shell r8shell !! :cool::thumbsup::)

- GT
Thanks, GT! I liked the whale so much, and was a little nervous I'd mess up the other side. Squids are hard to draw. That is: a poorly drawn whale will still look like some sort of fish. A poorly drawn squid could look like all sorts of strange and ugly things. o_O

Thanks, GT! I liked the whale so much, and was a little nervous I'd mess up the other side. Squids are hard to draw. That is: a poorly drawn whale will still look like some sort of fish. A poorly drawn squid could look like all sorts of strange and ugly things. o_O
I agree that squids could pose a drawing challenge (but, for me, that's true of almost everything :p). You sure nailed it, though! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I think I might start "stealing" your scrimshaw pics and keep a file of them; I'd be impressed with the sketches on paper, but your representing them on bone is always amazing to me.

It's a lot of fun and I'm looking to buy some more patterns in white bone. Maybe a canoe on a Canoe pattern, a marlin on the marlin spike sailor's knife, etc. :D
Coincidence alert!! :eek: I have 2 white smooth bone RRs (besides the Euler's Identity stockman you sent me :)): a canoe and a marlin spike. When I saw your whale on the Barlow, I started thinking about what would be good scrimshaw subjects for my 2 knives, and I immediately came up with a canoe for the canoe (inspired by the Native American in canoe engraved on Case canoe blades) and a marlin (swordfish? sailfish?) on the marlin spike. (A mermaid or a sailor were subsequent marlin spike ideas.)

- GT

I agree that squids could pose a drawing challenge (but, for me, that's true of almost everything :p). You sure nailed it, though! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I think I might start "stealing" your scrimshaw pics and keep a file of them; I'd be impressed with the sketches on paper, but your representing them on bone is always amazing to me.

Coincidence alert!! :eek: I have 2 white smooth bone RRs (besides the Euler's Identity stockman you sent me :)): a canoe and a marlin spike. When I saw your whale on the Barlow, I started thinking about what would be good scrimshaw subjects for my 2 knives, and I immediately came up with a canoe for the canoe (inspired by the Native American in canoe engraved on Case canoe blades) and a marlin (swordfish? sailfish?) on the marlin spike. (A mermaid or a sailor were subsequent marlin spike ideas.)

- GT
I tried to scrim a lighthouse on a sailor's knife a few years ago, but I'm not pleased with the results. I'd like to think I could do better now, but it's always a risk. I might use this one to practice: see if I can sand off the design and try again:
j2Ygo3m.jpg

Thank you. The first test of scrimshaw is if folks can tell what it's supposed to be! :D
It's a lot of fun and I'm looking to buy some more patterns in white bone. Maybe a canoe on a Canoe pattern, a marlin on the marlin spike sailor's knife, etc. :D

TRIVIA ALERT
This intrigued me so I did some quick research and learned that the fish is named after the tool and not the other way around. Also, although either is considered correct, marlinspike may be the preferred spelling. (It's just one of those words that stuck with me from an early age for some reason. I first encountered it when looking through my father's old copy of the Bluejacket's Manual, which includes a chapter on "Marlinspike Seamanship".) :p

One of the best things about Rough Riders is that I don't hesitate to modify or decorate a $10 knife.

W453gCb.jpg
Great job r8shell r8shell , That squid came out great.
Did you happen to see the article on scrim' in the new ( June 2019 ) issue of Knife magazine?
The title is Basic Scrimshaw Part 2 so I would guess that Part 1 is in May's issue. ( I don't have that one. )

TRIVIA ALERT
This intrigued me so I did some quick research and learned that the fish is named after the tool and not the other way around. Also, although either is considered correct, marlinspike may be the preferred spelling. (It's just one of those words that stuck with me from an early age for some reason. I first encountered it when looking through my father's old copy of the Bluejacket's Manual, which includes a chapter on "Marlinspike Seamanship".) :p
Interesting. I wonder how the tool got its name?
r8shell r8shell Here's a Small RR Barlow in White Bone only 7cm /2.75" Despite its small size a very credible little knife you might like to try some challenging Scrim on this Liliputian. Might need surgeon's glasses though ;):D

16qHBaL.jpg
I think I have a jeweler's loupe around here somewhere...
Great job r8shell r8shell , That squid came out great.
Did you happen to see the article on scrim' in the new ( June 2019 ) issue of Knife magazine?
The title is Basic Scrimshaw Part 2 so I would guess that Part 1 is in May's issue. ( I don't have that one. )
Really?!? I'm behind on reading, and sure hope I have that issue. I think my subscription runs out around June, been meaning to re-up. Thanks for the heads up, gotta read that!

Interesting. I wonder how the tool got its name?

Etymology

Marlinspike derives from the practice of "marling", winding small diameter twine called marline around larger ropes to form protective whippings.[1] The long-billed fish marlin is named after the marlinspike.[2]

1. marlinespike". Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1), Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary. 2006.
2. Douglas Harper (November 2001). "marlin". Online Etymological Dictionary

[from Wikipedia]

Etymology

Marlinspike derives from the practice of "marling", winding small diameter twine called marline around larger ropes to form protective whippings.[1] The long-billed fish marlin is named after the marlinspike.[2]

1. marlinespike". Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1), Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary. 2006.
2. Douglas Harper (November 2001). "marlin". Online Etymological Dictionary

[from Wikipedia]
Thanks for the enthralling etymology, Ace! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Cudgee, If you want to try real Ram's Horn check out Marble's Ram Horn Knives. Mine are posted somewhere in this thread.

Thanks. I've got one on it's way, waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Be interesting to compare it to Rough Rider. I am going to try and find your posts. but i'm not very good at this. Thanks again for your reply.:thumbsup:

Thanks. They look good. You obviously think they are a good knife. I am looking forward to receiving mine. Is there anything that you think i should know about them. Thanks alot.;)

I think they are well made and the Ram's Horn is real. I was surprised that the horn material was translucent underneath. I never saw or owned a Ram's Horn knife before these. Waiting to see which one you ordered.

I've ordered the 3 blade stockman, which is the one you posted on the 12th Sept. on page 222.:thumbsup:

Back