Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Here are the two small Cotton Samplers. Smooth Tobacco Bone and Jigged Bone. F&F are very high on these two the Jigged slightly better as the Smooth has mismatched sides in terms of colour. Very nice small knives which slice cheeses and salami surprisingly well yet unlike the full-size pattern are not unwieldy. Recommended.

G06UYcu.jpg

JNtoXPd.jpg
Will Power, took your recommendation and purchased the small cotton sampler in smooth tobacco bone. Just arrived this morning, very happy with it, really like the smooth bone finish and color. Will be using it for what you suggested, as a cheese platter knife, just the right size. Thanks for your input.

I've also got the camper utility RR, but find the can opener to be a real nail buster, nearly impossible to open. Other wise a good knife ,but I'll keep carrying my SAK Tinker instead.
Rich

I've also got the camper utility RR, but find the can opener to be a real nail buster, nearly impossible to open. Other wise a good knife ,but I'll keep carrying my SAK Tinker instead.
Rich
The can opener isn't bad on mine,however the punch and screwdriver are a bit stiff. Manageable, oil helped quite a bit, outta the box the punch was tough.

Hey SMKW... if you're listening... PLEASE put a spear blade or even a full spey blade in that little barehead trapper frame!!! It would be such a cool little knife.
I agree John, I like this blade profile, but would love it if the edge ran all the way to the tang. A nice spear would fit the frame style as well, a long pull with cut swedges.

Last edited:
on second thoughts can anyone provide dimentions of the blade and width of the back spring?

Blade is 2 1/4 inches from tip to bolster, or 54mm, spring is 3mm
Blade is 15mm at it widest point, and because it has a hollow grind it is very thin behind the edge. Great slicer between the thinness and deep belly it cuts above its pay grade. That's why I wish they keep the same basic dimensions and just make it a full spey:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have a Rough Rider collection of 2. I've been cleaning out my parents place in Tennessee for the last two years, since Dad died. Mom passed a few years ago. Dad was a retired millwright from Chrysler. I was raised in Detroit metro. We watched the decline of the American manufacturing. Dad was a staunch union, buy American type of guy, although I definitely noticed an easing of this attitude in his later years. It may have been resignation. His everyday carry was a beat up, well used, Buck 303. Anyway, this is just to explain my surprise when I found this Chinese manufactured pocket knife, brand new in the box, in a file cabinet in his work shop. It was in with some paperwork for various things and plumbing supplies. He may have bought it intending it as a gift. Their church always did a Christmas exchange with a limit of $5 or $10. Or maybe somebody gave it to him. Or maybe he bought it not realizing it was Chinese. Or maybe he was in the big knife store about 75 miles away in the Smokies, thought it was a nice knife for a good price, and decided it didn't matter where it was made. Just one of life's little mysteries.

The RR248 Stockman has natural bone handles. They're very nice. Its a nice knife. I would have no problem recommending it anyone who wanted a decent, inexpensive pocket knife. The clip blade is nice and tight. The lambsfoot has the slightest, insignificant play. The spey has some noticeable play. Not enough to make it unsafe to use, but enough it would bother me if this was $40 Case. Overall I like it.

The RR1473 is a little bitty thing. I bought it because I needed $4 to get free shipping and it was $4.99. ;) Cute little sucker. Blade's nice and tight. Doesn't really have any "snap". Does have a half stop though.

I can understand why folks get into collecting these. Here's a couple of pics. The silver dollar is for scale.
VcdJVwm.jpg

3LhjdmI.jpg

After all the talk and pictures of the Cotton Sampler, I had to get one (RR1834). I also a few days later picked up a Trapper (RR512). Both are great but I really am not a small knife fan wish the Cotton Sampler was bigger.
Have a look at the larger one. Plenty of online sites. Also some good reviews of the larger one on Youtube. Just google it. :thumbsup:
4qj7J11.jpg

Glad i could help. I liked the small tobacco bone so much, i have just ordered the brown bone 2 hours ago. I want it for larger jobs that the smaller one cannot do, but i was impressed with small one so much i had to get the larger one.:thumbsup:

Glad i could help. I liked the small tobacco bone so much, i have just ordered the brown bone 2 hours ago. I want it for larger jobs that the smaller one cannot do, but i was impressed with small one so much i had to get the larger one.:thumbsup:

Ditto Conchita. I showed her one of the little ones and she asked if there was a bigger one. Natch, I ordered one for her.

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered 2 rough riders. A 4 3/8 inch stockman and a 3 1/2 inch whittler. I must confess that I have been a doubter when it comes to the knives of Asian origin. I’m ready to eat a big mess of crow. I’m very impressed with these knives. Frankly, the ease of sharpening and edge holding is better than many knives I’ve had at twice or more the price. This 440A is fine for what I use a knife for. I’ve used the whittler enough that I’ve touched it up twice, and it doesn’t take long on an Arkansas stone to have it sharp again. I can’t speak to how they will hold up, but both came with good snap, no blade play, and no gaps.
I still love vintage knives, Case knives, and some GEC knives. But for a good everyday knife that will stay sharp, I think these are great. I will be buying more when these are used up. Thank you gentlemen for opening my eyes to them.

Back