Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered 2 rough riders. A 4 3/8 inch stockman and a 3 1/2 inch whittler. I must confess that I have been a doubter when it comes to the knives of Asian origin. I’m ready to eat a big mess of crow. I’m very impressed with these knives. Frankly, the ease of sharpening and edge holding is better than many knives I’ve had at twice or more the price. This 440A is fine for what I use a knife for. I’ve used the whittler enough that I’ve touched it up twice, and it doesn’t take long on an Arkansas stone to have it sharp again. I can’t speak to how they will hold up, but both came with good snap, no blade play, and no gaps.
I still love vintage knives, Case knives, and some GEC knives. But for a good everyday knife that will stay sharp, I think these are great. I will be buying more when these are used up. Thank you gentlemen for opening my eyes to them.
There not bad are they?

Not only are they good, but Rough Rider seems to be trying to raise its game. More elaborate packaging and detail on some of their knives, as in the Classic Carbon seahorse whittler. Whimsical designs like the Dog Bone Jack of a few years back, and the lovely but nearly useless* Mini Cotton Sampler. Fit and finish have improved and become more consistent in the four years since I discovered them upon joining this forum.

Opinions differ as to whether RR quality is on a par with Case. The very fact that conversation is taking place should tell you something.

Opinions differ as to whether RR quality is on a par with Case. The very fact that conversation is taking place should tell you something.
Well said, Henry. :)
From my experience RR meets or exceeds Case quality on a pattern to pattern basis.
(E.G. Canoe vs Canoe)

I ordered some knives recently, including some Rough Riders. I don't have photos of them yet, except for this Rough Rider 3-blade canoe with black lip pearl covers. It's enormous, excessive, entertaining, and enchanting! :D:thumbsup::cool: With its large size (4 5/8" closed and .65 lbs) and 3 blades (spear, spey, sheep), it can be called a gunboat canoe, I think. It's also the most expensive RR I've ever bought (except for some discontinued stag models that I desired very highly :rolleyes:).
pearl.mark.closed.clothesline.jpg
pearl.pile.closed.clothesline.jpg
pearl.mark.3open horiz.stand.jpg

- GT

I think some of the Rough Rider knives stack up to Case knives very favorably and I have two of them that stack up to GEC favorably. That said, the question for me is how they will hold up "in the long run". As I've used a few of my Rough Riders and Imperial Schrades, I haven't noticed anything negative about them such as loosening blade joints, difficult sharpening, cover separating, etc..

I showed this picture some time ago but think it's worth showing again.

pHUf2Ml.jpg

After having had them for awhile, the Sow Belly with the acorn shield and the Loom Fixer with the sheepfoot blade both come up to GEC standards as to fit, finish, materials, etc.. There are absolutely no dogs in the group shown.

I ordered some knives recently, including some Rough Riders. I don't have photos of them yet, except for this Rough Rider 3-blade canoe with black lip pearl covers. It's enormous, excessive, entertaining, and enchanting! :D:thumbsup::cool: With its large size (4 5/8" closed and .65 lbs) and 3 blades (spear, spey, sheep), it can be called a gunboat canoe, I think. It's also the most expensive RR I've ever bought (except for some discontinued stag models that I desired very highly :rolleyes:).
View attachment 1142282
View attachment 1142283
View attachment 1142281

- GT
What's the model number of that canoe?

I agree with Ed. RRs are the best traditional knives on the market today (especially given their cost).
Rich

One of the best things about Rough Riders is that I don't hesitate to modify or decorate a $10 knife.

W453gCb.jpg

I have been holding most of these with the intention to attempt some scrim. Actually had a bunch more, but gave them away at Christmas. But keep hesitating because of my lack of artistic ability. Art and music are skills I've always wanted, but never quite "got there".

Though I still can't say that seeing r8shell's work is inspiring or just plain intimidating. ;)

2dbutn6.jpg

This is a milestone day: I have seen my first Thirty dollar Rough Rider, and in the same thread, Rough Rider compared in quality with GEC, without apparent irony. We will be seeing more of that.

That is a gorgeous knife, Gary. What does the box look like?

I have been holding most of these with the intention to attempt some scrim. Actually had a bunch more, but gave them away at Christmas. But keep hesitating because of my lack of artistic ability. Art and music are skills I've always wanted, but never quite "got there".

Though I still can't say that seeing r8shell's work is inspiring or just plain intimidating. ;)

2dbutn6.jpg
I hope you're inspired to give it a try. :cool::thumbsup:

This is a milestone day: I have seen my first Thirty dollar Rough Rider, and in the same thread, Rough Rider compared in quality with GEC, without apparent irony. We will be seeing more of that.

That is a gorgeous knife, Gary. What does the box look like?
I was taken aback by the $30 list price, but I got a 15% discount. But still, I miss the days when almost all Rough Riders could be had for single-digit prices. Wonder if the rising prices are part of the trade war and tariffs I hear about on the news.

Thanks, Henry. The box is "generic" in that I don't think it has any writing on it. But it's a nice box with black wood, a magnetic closure, and a foam insert cut to the shape of the knife. I call it a "cigar box" style because of the 4 sidewalls and floor all in fixed position and a lid that lifts up, hinged at the back wall with the magnet at the front wall to hold the lid down.
I'll try to remember to get a photo of it to post here.

- GT

They want to be careful. That is there main selling point, the quality and finish you get for the price. If the price keeps going up people will stop buying and go back to old favorites eg. Case, GEC etc. Depending on peoples circumstances they will always choose with their wallet, always have and always will.

Tariffs are part of it, but that is not all that is going on. RR prices were creeping up before the onset of tariffs. But quality is improving too, along with the quality of a lot of Chinese manufacture, not unlike what happened with Japanese manufacture over the last sixty years or so.

Quality for price used to be the main selling point for RR, but that is becoming less and less true. It is not too hard to imagine forty- and fifty-dollar Chinese-made traditionals competing head-to-head with Case.

Tariffs are part of it, but that is not all that is going on. RR prices were creeping up before the onset of tariffs. But quality is improving too, along with the quality of a lot of Chinese manufacture, not unlike what happened with Japanese manufacture over the last sixty years or so.

Quality for price used to be the main selling point for RR, but that is becoming less and less true. It is not too hard to imagine forty- and fifty-dollar Chinese-made traditionals competing head-to-head with Case.

and GEC !!

I think Rough Rider is going to have to step up their design game to be really competitive in the US market. They tend to produce some pretty quirky knives. If they could get a stable of solid patterns, I could see it happening.

Improve the blade grinds. So many awkwardly radiused hollow grinds. Switching to a flat grind (or a much taller hollow grind) would instantly increase appeal.

Back