Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I own around 25-30 R/R knives...…… IMO they are no worse than any knife that I bought for $150.00 or less...……. In many cases they beat the ~ $150.00 knives ……. If I had to list a bitch it would be occasional off center blades...….. But I also see that with others costing 2x to 10x as much...…. I think they are a bargain and a great knife to lug around when you don't want to get your Sunday knife all barfed up...…….

43865984-E313-487C-A3EF-70DF68F273A6.jpeg Just got my RR viper in today and I must of got a good one.
This baby is sweet.

There are some rough spots like the lanyard tube and it was pretty dirty but nothing a little cleaning and sanding won’t fix.

I do believe this is my first RR with the Y in the logo too.
The stamping is crisp and looks more professional than older ones imo.

There must have been a stampede. My blade is off center, but doesn’t rub. Otherwise, no discernible flaws. Pull about a 6, would probably be pinchable if not for the swedge.

I do not keep up with RR as much as the regulars in this thread. With regard to the "Viper", does RR tend to improve the quality of subsequent runs when the initial one reports lots of problems? That model looks like a good deal, if you can get one with usual RR f&f.

I don't own many RRs these days, but I have always appreciated their willingness to do some outside-the-box jigging.
I find those are the ones I hold on to. The armidillo bone and bark bone jigging on the below-pictured two are my favorites. I also enjoy the buckshot bone that used to be reserved for the Colts, but are now on the equivalent RRs since the Colt-licensed knives are no more.
View attachment 1183455

Last edited:
I like the bark bone stockman. I have one and several others in that scale jigging. Love the barlow.
Rich

The new buckshot barlow looks pretty nice, although shields don't belong on barlows!
rr2041_closed.gif

I do not keep up with RR as much as the regulars in this thread. With regard to the "Viper", does RR tend to improve the quality of subsequent runs when the initial one reports lots of problems? That model looks like a good deal, if you can get one with usual RR f&f.
I think in the spirit of the name of the knife itself, it's not a collectible. Like all of my wobbly sodbusters from German Bull, Case, etc... It's meant for cutting. Not saying that it should get a pass on quality control but perhaps lowering the bar may change your happiness factor.

I for one am gonna be tickled pink at ripping it out of the box and tossing it in my pocket after cleaning it a bit. It's a work knife! I get mine Sat can't wait!

PS much of my happiness stems from the fact that as much as Iike carbon steel. I end up never owning patterns like the Viper bc RR's 440a in real life fits my lifestyle so perfectly. The stuff gets hair shaving sharp fast, is super rust resistant and sharpens back up after use super quick! And as much as I like Case I have never gotten any of those pesky wire edges on an RR as I have in my Case knives.

And I love GEC but the whole hoarding of GECs and flipping them at above market prices just puts me off. Ymmv.

Last edited:
I end up never owning patterns like the Viper bc RR's 440a in real life fits my lifestyle so perfectly. The stuff gets hair shaving sharp fast, is super rust resistant and sharpens back up after use super quick!

I would wager a lot of folks that buy these will likely use them as stand ins and loaners for dirty jobs when they carry similar high end knives like the GEC patterns. Kind of like carrying a plain stainless Boker Magnum scout knife as a user instead of risking grand dad's old and venerated Ulster Official Boy Scout knife.

gratleby, post: 19219305, member: 146009"]Kind of like carrying a plain stainless Boker Magnum scout knife as a user instead of risking grand dad's old and venerated Ulster Official Boy Scout knife
Being the "Grandpa" (if not "Great Grandpa") age, I carry both my plain Boker Magnum Scout or my (white scale) Ulster "Official BSA" Scout knife from c. 1965 ~1973, depending on my mood. I have no one to pass them on to other than my nephew/godson, and I already gave him an Ulster "Official BSA" Scout (in bester shape than mine) and a Buck Canoe for knock-about use ... among others.
None of my grand kids are "into" knives.
If I have any great grandkids, they are too young (as in they are infants) to be interested in knives or anything else 'cept maybe a bottle and a clean diaper.
As for my grandfather's Scout knives (presuming they ever had one) they were long lost/gone before I arrived.

Opinions vary of course, when I was carrying around GECs my favorite being the wharnie 72 I was using them. I guess collecting is fun for folks too I just don't do it myself which is why I find this brand fun.

Being the "Grandpa" (if not "Great Grandpa") age, I carry both my plain Boker Magnum Scout or my (white scale) Ulster "Official BSA" Scout knife from c. 1965 ~1973, depending on my mood.

As we gain age we often have the wisdom to do what suits us at the moment. Always good to live as the spirit moves you! I find that the plain Boker Magnum Scout captures the spirit of the Ulsters from the '60's and '70's quite well. It reminds me of my grand dad's knife, an unofficial scout type with a compass in the handle (I can't recall the maker as the knife is now just a memory).

And, a lens cleaning cloth...?
Yes, they work very well with my 6 year olds glasses. And larger than normal, great for my big hands. I typically get one each year at Blade show, but missed the show this year

Back