1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Well that isn’t my experience with RR at all.
    I also have a zombie one arm barlow and that is solid too.

GEC is great with general fit and finish but their locking knives leave a bit to be desired for me.
    The 2 liner locks I have by GEC have up and down also.
    Haven’t checked in a while but I remember my Bull lock being good but I doubt we will see that again.

2. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    My 72 came with lock rock so it got sent back and was with GEC for 2 months before I got it back.

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Like I've said before, I am probably just very unlucky when it comes to buying RR knives.

4. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    The GEC 47 is a new pattern never made by anyone else?!?

Forgive me, but I find that hard to believe.

I don't see you accusing GEC (or Case) of making "clones" of Barlows, Stockman's, or the other patterns they made/make that were made first by other cutlers perhaps as much as hundreds of years earlier.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    L.H.S and willc like this.
  5. Jathes

Jathes Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2016
    I have some Rough Rider blade picks but no knives. A friend of mine was in east Tennessee last week and brought this back for me.
    [​IMG]

Captvideo, Will Power, edbeau and 6 others like this.
  6. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    Me too. Maybe its a whittler stockman o_O
    Kind of a cool knife though.

willc likes this.
  7. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    I had a couple of trappers come in this week. One is a RR22034 Amber Jigged Bone and the other is a RR1406 Appaloosa Bone. I tried to get a good shot of the etch on the blade of the Appaloosa. Both have good fit & finish and open very smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dc50, Nixelplix, tmd_87 and 6 others like this.
  8. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    of course. Imitation is the best form of flattery. There are other production brands that made pattern in history, but none that I know are still operational today. The RR is nearly identical in dimension to the GEC 47. Every review on the internet compares the two. I'm not sure why my comment struck you as controversial?

Dr-Mabuse likes this.
  9. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    There is no comparison other than looks like.

10. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    They were referring to cloning in the sense of them looking alike, not the genetic kind.

Dr-Mabuse likes this.
  11. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Indeed, only Arthur Wright and Son of Sheffield has continued to keep the old Tackler pattern in production in its original form.

afishhunter and gaj999 like this.
  12. Fire Beard

Fire Beard

Sep 1, 2013
    I have the RR “47” and it’s pretty sweet. The F&F isn’t nearly as good as the GEC 47 I once had, but honestly the W&T is better. I have about 15 Rough Ryders and the quality tends to vary. My blue bone canoe is literally every bit as good as any other knife I’ve owned (up to and including my GECs). Same with my black cherry Moose, my Coal Miner Half Hawk and bone stag Cotton Sampler. In those aforementioned, there are zero gaps, perfect transitions, perfect centering and razor sharp, perfectly ground edges. Their knives can really be an incredible value. Others that I own have small gaps here and there, uncentered blades, wonky grinds, etc. For literally every one of them being less than $20, I’m more than happy with them as a brand, as a whole. They’re easily replaceable if lost/damaged/given as gifts, and they give me a chance to try out patterns I otherwise wouldn’t buy from their more expensive counterparts.

I’ve been following this thread for a long time. In fact, it’s what inspired me to get over the whole “China made” stigma and give them a shot. And I’m really glad I did. Good, inexpensive (not “cheap”) fun.

13. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    What are the yellow and bone knives in this picture, they look like really handy patterns I’d like to check out. Thank you!

14. Butch

Butch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2003
    RR2038 arrived today. Fit/finish is more than acceptable at this price point. The blade is almost perfectly centered. Favorite part? It doesn't have that silly "440 razor sharp steel" etch on the blade. I like it a lot. Its going to get plenty of pocket time.

afishhunter likes this.
  15. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    The yellow is the RR1516 and the little lockback is RR1790.
    Both are very nice knives but the little lockback really impressed me for such a compact tool it does slice nicely.

16. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Thank you!

willc likes this.
  17. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
  18. garryt

garryt

Dec 8, 2013
    Classic carbon sowbelly stockman...