Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Because GEC makes lockbacks anywhere from "solid" to "a little bit of lock rock". They are pretty consistent though.
RR makes theirs from "solid" to "won't lock at all" :eek:. They are all over the place and I've had some really, really bad ones.
So i guess the question should be, Why can't RR be more consistent like GEC? ;)

Well that isn’t my experience with RR at all.
I also have a zombie one arm barlow and that is solid too.

GEC is great with general fit and finish but their locking knives leave a bit to be desired for me.
The 2 liner locks I have by GEC have up and down also.
Haven’t checked in a while but I remember my Bull lock being good but I doubt we will see that again.

My 72 came with lock rock so it got sent back and was with GEC for 2 months before I got it back.

The RR2038 is undeniably an attempt at cloning a GEC 47
The GEC 47 is a new pattern never made by anyone else?!?

Forgive me, but I find that hard to believe.

I don't see you accusing GEC (or Case) of making "clones" of Barlows, Stockman's, or the other patterns they made/make that were made first by other cutlers perhaps as much as hundreds of years earlier.

Last edited:
I have some Rough Rider blade picks but no knives. A friend of mine was in east Tennessee last week and brought this back for me.
kkYQF3B.jpg

Just the big clip locks.
It is listed as a stockman but the clip is in middle channel and the 2 small blades are on opposite side on left and right channel.
I thought this was whittler configuration?
Me too. Maybe its a whittler stockman o_O
Kind of a cool knife though.

I had a couple of trappers come in this week. One is a RR22034 Amber Jigged Bone and the other is a RR1406 Appaloosa Bone. I tried to get a good shot of the etch on the blade of the Appaloosa. Both have good fit & finish and open very smooth.

Utq12Lq.jpg

C6kdsLA.jpg

The GEC 47 is a new pattern never made by anyone else?!?

Forgive me, but I find that hard to believe.

I don't see you accusing GEC (or Case) of making "clones" of Barlows, Stockman's, or the other patterns they made/make that were made first by other cutlers perhaps as much as hundreds of years earlier.
of course. Imitation is the best form of flattery. There are other production brands that made pattern in history, but none that I know are still operational today. The RR is nearly identical in dimension to the GEC 47. Every review on the internet compares the two. I'm not sure why my comment struck you as controversial?

of course. Imitation is the best form of flattery. There are other production brands that made pattern in history, but none that I know are still operational today. The RR is nearly identical in dimension to the GEC 47. Every review on the internet compares the two. I'm not sure why my comment struck you as controversial?
There is no comparison other than looks like.

I have the RR “47” and it’s pretty sweet. The F&F isn’t nearly as good as the GEC 47 I once had, but honestly the W&T is better. I have about 15 Rough Ryders and the quality tends to vary. My blue bone canoe is literally every bit as good as any other knife I’ve owned (up to and including my GECs). Same with my black cherry Moose, my Coal Miner Half Hawk and bone stag Cotton Sampler. In those aforementioned, there are zero gaps, perfect transitions, perfect centering and razor sharp, perfectly ground edges. Their knives can really be an incredible value. Others that I own have small gaps here and there, uncentered blades, wonky grinds, etc. For literally every one of them being less than $20, I’m more than happy with them as a brand, as a whole. They’re easily replaceable if lost/damaged/given as gifts, and they give me a chance to try out patterns I otherwise wouldn’t buy from their more expensive counterparts.

I’ve been following this thread for a long time. In fact, it’s what inspired me to get over the whole “China made” stigma and give them a shot. And I’m really glad I did. Good, inexpensive (not “cheap”) fun.

View attachment 1195147 Lately I have been on a RR lockback kick.
All three of these knives are solid when locked, no play whatsoever.

Why can’t GEC do this?
I have maybe a dozen GEC lockbacks and 2 or 3 of them are rock solid.
What are the yellow and bone knives in this picture, they look like really handy patterns I’d like to check out. Thank you!

RR2038 arrived today. Fit/finish is more than acceptable at this price point. The blade is almost perfectly centered. Favorite part? It doesn't have that silly "440 razor sharp steel" etch on the blade. I like it a lot. Its going to get plenty of pocket time.

The yellow is the RR1516 and the little lockback is RR1790.
Both are very nice knives but the little lockback really impressed me for such a compact tool it does slice nicely.
What are the yellow and bone knives in this picture, they look like really handy patterns I’d like to check out. Thank you!

Back