Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Gotcha, I'm not sure how it comes up for a pc, all I use is a generic Samsung Galaxy straight talk phone from wallyworld. It gets the job done though,everything I've learned about posting here was from advice from others and trial and error.

Check out the new Rough Ryder VG-10 "modern slipjoint." Looks like there is a stockman and a trapper.

rr2102.jpg

Check out the new Rough Ryder VG-10 "modern slipjoint." Looks like there is a stockman and a trapper.

rr2102.jpg
I just saw that over on their site in the "Just Arrived" section.
I don't know about the trapper, but the stockman is tiny. Only 3.5 inches closed. :(
Also saw they have the "KAMP KING" brand Scout/Utility knife under/made by Rough Rider now. (RR1987)
I just might have to get one of those. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone popped for the new VG10 medium stockman and/or mini trapper?
How is the build? Does the VG10 live up to the hype?

Last edited:
Two "Related" arrived today. :)

1) Marbles MR278 "Demo" knife

2 Bundeswehr M1212 (Copy of Cold War Era West German issue SAK)

Marbles MR278:
Almost identical to the Camillus and other maker's military contract "Demo" knife.
The Marbles is roughly 1/16 to 2/16 inch shorter closed, and the can opener is not stamped "CAN OPENER".
Aside from the tang stamp, those are the only differences I see when comparing the MR278 to the 1975 Western "Demo" knife the Army Reserves issued to me in 1975.
(I sure am glad they did not want it back)
Blade pull is at or a hair under a "5" on all for blades on this example.
My other three MR278's are right at or a hair over "5".
No wiggly blades. Blades are as well centered as any I've seen on this style 4 blade 2 backspring knife, regardless of manufacturer. (this includes the "Official Boy Scouts of America" Ulster knives)
No noticable gaps. Springs are pretty much flush with the blades closed and open. No half stops on any blade.
The Speat Point blade has an acceptably sharp working edge out of the box, and has even grinds.
A little time introducing it to the bottom of my (empty) ceramic coffee cup will no doubt have it screaming sharp "in no time".
Of course it has the same "strong enough to tow a Jeep bail that the government contract/issue "Demo" knives have.

The Marbles MR278 has displaced tbe canoe tbat was in my pocket, and joined the other two knives in my RF pocket.

Bundeswehr M1212:
A good copy of the Cold War Era West German military issue SAK.
I'm sure there are differences between this knife and the original.
As I have never handled or seen an original, I don't know what those differences are.
Maybe the original is 111 or 112mm closed?
This knife is 110mm.
Main blade is a 81mm spear point. Secondary blade is a 83.5mm saw, with bottle opener, and small flat screwdriver.
There is a removable (and loseable) sawtooth cover.
The back tools are a punch/awl without a thread hole, and a cork screw.
Covers are OD Green nylon(?).

I bought this Bundeswehr to replace one that went AWOL. The saw comes in handy on those grown-over bike paths.

This example is not as "snappy" as the first one I had, however the blades still snap shut just fine.
The pulls for the blade and all the tools on this one are in the vicinity of a "4", compared to the "5" of my first one.
No wiggly blade or tools. As with the Marbles MR278, the spear point needs to be introduced to the bottom of my (empty) coffee cup.

Over-all, I'm happy with this Bundeswehr.
It has also joined the large stockman, full size trapper, and the Marbles MR278 in my right front pocket.

EDIT; Saturday, March 14, 2020:

After cleaning and lubing the Bundeswehr, it is just as snappy as I remember the first one I had to be, and the pulls are a solid "5" now.. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone popped for the new VG10 medium stockman and/or mini trapper?
How is the build? Does the VG10 live up to the hype?
late reply, but I just ordered a stockman about 3 days ago.... should be here in a few days, they finally shipped it. I'm looking forward to handling it....

Two "Related" arrived today. :)

1) Marbles MR278 "Demo" knife

2 Bundeswehr M1212 (Copy of Cold War Era West German issue SAK)

Bundeswehr M1212:
A good copy of the Cold War Era West German military issue SAK.
I'm sure there are differences between this knife and the original.
As I have never handled or seen an original, I don't know what those differences are.
Maybe the original is 111 or 112mm closed?
This knife is 110mm.
Main blade is a 81mm spear point. Secondary blade is a 83.5mm saw, with bottle opener, and small flat screwdriver.
There is a removable (and loseable) sawtooth cover.
The back tools are a punch/awl without a thread hole, and a cork screw.
Covers are OD Green nylon(?).

I bought this Bundeswehr to replace one that went AWOL. The saw comes in handy on those grown-over bike paths.

This example is not as "snappy" as the first one I had, however the blades still snap shut just fine.
The pulls for the blade and all the tools on this one are in the vicinity of a "4", compared to the "5" of my first one.
No wiggly blade or tools. As with the Marbles MR278, the spear point needs to be introduced to the bottom of my (empty) coffee cup.

Over-all, I'm happy with this Bundeswehr.
It has also joined the large stockman, full size trapper, and the Marbles MR278 in my right front pocket.

I also recently received a Bundeswehr. I know what you mean about the losable saw cover! I like the knife, no issues with it at all. But I bought it as an impulse buy and don't know if I'll actually carry it. I just had to own one.

J johnnywizzo
Carry it. You'll be surprised how handy it can be.
Pair it with something you normally carry with something other than a spear point blade.
Sometimes a spear point is "right" blade for a task, other times ... not so much.

As you know it don't weigh a lot, so it won't be trying to "sag" your pants, or put them down around your ankles. :)

I had two RR's arrive today... I got the VG10 stockman, and posted pics in the "RR VG10" thread... the other one is this split whittler, if that's the correct terminology. The spring is not really split, but there is a wedge spacer between the springs...
Anyway.. it was advertised as a carbon steel knife. When it arrived, I noticed the main blade had "440 razor sharp steel" faintly etched on it... I figured to test it, so I sliced into a lime, and let it sit wet for a few minutes, and it patina'ed right away. I guess it's carbon..
It's not sloppily made, it's just tight getting all the blades in without collisions.. the two secondaries almost touch at the tips when the main blade is open... there is some rub when the main is closed. The main blade pull is a little heavy... close to a 7? The secondaries are more like 5-6...
It's a big fat whittler.. which is not a bad thing... I included a pic with it beside my Case seahorse whittler. The RR is about 1/8" thicker overall than the Case. It's an interesting knife, and I am curious to see what kind of edge it will take, and hold.

jrVPfM.jpg
jrVF0Q.jpg

jrVUqa.jpg
jrVNpA.jpg

If they can mark their carbon blades with 440... Who's to say they don't mark their 440 blades with VG10... ;):D:p
True... they can call it whatever they choose.
It will be interesting to see how the blades' edges hold up.
I suppose the good thing is that the "good" steel only costs about $2 more than their regular 440 ones... so if they are, um, mis-representing the quality of their steel, at least it doesn't cost much more..:D

Almost identical to the Camillus and other maker's military contract "Demo" knife.
The Marbles is roughly 1/16 to 2/16 inch shorter closed

The differences in measurements were introduced when Queen started production in 1986 and carried over when they produced the knives for Ontario. During the 80's government required a second source as part of the bidding process and reissued the Mil Spec sheet with revisions on 30 September 1985 as MIL-K-818D which allowed these minor changes to MIL-K-818C. The Marbles knife is a very close copy of the knife as made by the Queen factory rather than that made by the Camillus factory.

I forgot to mention one other difference.
The Marbles has match strike nail nicks on all four blades.

I suspect they are made at the same factory as Rough Rider. After all the new Rough Rider Kamp King uses the same blades....
Not to mention the fact that the same company owns both the Rough Rider and Marbles brands. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations, hornetguy, nice knives! :thumbsup:

Anyway.. it was advertised as a carbon steel knife. When it arrived, I noticed the main blade had "440 razor sharp steel" faintly etched on it... I figured to test it, so I sliced into a lime, and let it sit wet for a few minutes, and it patina'ed right away. I guess it's carbon..

jrVPfM.jpg
jrVF0Q.jpg

jrVUqa.jpg
jrVNpA.jpg

This is from the Description on the SMKW website:

T10 Carbon Steel Blades. Mirror Polished. Match Strike Pulls. Half Stops. Yellow Composition Handles. Brass Pins and Liners. Nickel Silver Slant 'R Bolsters and Classic Carbon Shield.

Measures: Blade Length: 2-3/8" Wharncliffe Blade. 1-3/4" Pen Blades. Blade Thicknesses: 1/16". 3-3/4" closed. Made in China.

NOTE: T10 carbon steel is brand new to the Rough Ryder line and this first run of carbon steel pocketknives may be mislabeled as 440A in fine blade markings. These are, however, carbon steel, not stainless.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations, hornetguy, nice knives! :thumbsup:

This is from the Description on the SMKW website:

T10 Carbon Steel Blades. Mirror Polished. Match Strike Pulls. Half Stops. Yellow Composition Handles. Brass Pins and Liners. Nickel Silver Slant 'R Bolsters and Classic Carbon Shield.

Measures: Blade Length: 2-3/8" Wharncliffe Blade. 1-3/4" Pen Blades. Blade Thicknesses: 1/16". 3-3/4" closed. Made in China.

NOTE: T10 carbon steel is brand new to the Rough Ryder line and this first run of carbon steel pocketknives may be mislabeled as 440A in fine blade markings. These are, however, carbon steel, not stainless.

Hope this helps.
Thanks... Yes, I had already done a "down and dirty" test to see if they were stainless. The main blade is definitely NOT stainless. I did not test the two secondaries. I also have a yellow sowbelly in their carbon steel.

This whittler takes a very sharp edge, with minimal work. The term "scary sharp" is so overused, I hate to refer to it as that.... but it is.

The classic Yellow carbon steel knives have 1/16 inch blade stock?
Cool. My moose with Ti coated carbon steel blades are roughly twice as thick. So are the Ti coated carbon steel blades on my Colt Canoe.
I don't know if they changed the blades when the Colt canoe was brought over to Rough Rider, when they stopped making the Colt knives.

I had two RR's arrive today... I got the VG10 stockman, and posted pics in the "RR VG10" thread... the other one is this split whittler, if that's the correct terminology. The spring is not really split, but there is a wedge spacer between the springs...
It's not sloppily made, it's just tight getting all the blades in without collisions.. the two secondaries almost touch at the tips when the main blade is open... there is some rub when the main is closed. The main blade pull is a little heavy... close to a 7? The secondaries are more like 5-6...
It's a big fat whittler.. which is not a bad thing... I included a pic with it beside my Case seahorse whittler. The RR is about 1/8" thicker overall than the Case. It's an interesting knife, and I am curious to see what kind of edge it will take, and hold.

jrVPfM.jpg
jrVF0Q.jpg

jrVUqa.jpg
jrVNpA.jpg
Thanks for the review and pictures. I have enough Rough Riders for now, but I am getting tempted to look for one of those.

T10 steel is awesome stuff, better than 1095. If the heat treat is spot on, they should be terrific.

Back