Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

One of my denim work knives "locked up" after I flushed them with WD-40. It went from decent closing snap to almost zero. I cleaned it with hot water and then dried & lubed, it's not much better. Any ideas?

One of my denim work knives "locked up" after I flushed them with WD-40. It went from decent closing snap to almost zero. I cleaned it with hot water and then dried & lubed, it's not much better. Any ideas?

Put a leather glove on; slather oil on the pivot and spring, grab the blade and manually cycle it a few dozen times...

It worked at first, and then locked up? I'm gonna guess a fine shaving of brass came off the liner and got jammed into the pivot. I've had that happen with brand new knives. I agree with HEMI, you can try to work it out, but be careful not to cut yourself if you're using some force.
If it still won't clear, I'd return it for a replacement.

Was able to work it out for the most part and dyed the scales "black" today. Some of the grain shows through and I may try it again later with a different type of dye. I also blackened the lines in the bolster, not sure how long it will last but I'm quite pleased with the results.

Last edited:
09-24-2020
Warranty Replacement (for bail coming off) (BTI) Old Timer 23OT Received. :D

Invoice shows the shipping date as 09-18-2020. Considering and taking into account the Covid-19 postal delays, I'd say "Fast Shipping.".

Per S.O.P. for a new knife, I lubed all the joints. (Venerable 3 In One(r) oil is all I have on hand. Even the stuff in that new plastic bottle, still works great!)

First Impressions:
All blades have a pull right at "5", maybe a small fraction of a hair higher.
The spear point blade is sharp enough to shave arm hair. The sharpened portion of the punch/awl is almost sharp enough to shave arm hair. It should be sharp enough to remove material when making a hole in leather, for example.
The can opener and screw driver/cap lifter blades ... forget it. Nowhere near sharp enough to cut/slice anything but air. :)
The blades all play nicely together; no blade rub.
No noticeable with nude eyes gaps. Yeah .... I could hear it before I typed the previous two sentences ... "Pictures or it didn't happen!" ... sooo ...

View attachment 1425069
View attachment 1425070
View attachment 1425071

Anyway, BTI Schrade stands behind their knives. :)

When I initially emailed them about one of the bail rivets going AWOL, I included a photo showing the rivet in question had, in fact, left his (or maybe it was a her?) duty post.
BTI did not request I send that knife back to them.

Put a leather glove on; slather oil on the pivot and spring, grab the blade and manually cycle it a few dozen times...

- agreed. Will often do that to new slipjoints anyway.......after trying many, Ballistol is my fave lube

Since I don't seem to have the right magic anymore for reserve signups and drops, I purchased a couple RR knives so I'd have the thrill of seeing the mailman coming.... To manufacture and market these knives for the selling price is quite remarkable..... The knives in the 3 photos are functional tools... Most will have minor cosmetic shortcomings, but they certainly are fit for a workman or adventurer....
Anyhoot, these are most of my RR knives... I have a few more at another location that were not photographed.....
20200928_133258.jpg 20200928_124054.jpg 20200928_124035.jpg

rwroL31.jpg

HEMI 49 HEMI 49
Top Photo of the canoe pattern:
6th from Left (or second from right, however you wanna look at it/count it ...)
"Zombie 'Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Friends' Nick" Canoe, or "Moon Glow" canoe?

Very nice collection of Rough Riders/Rough Ryders. :D

Your two blade slipjoint folding hunter (bottom photo, center row, second from right) makes me re-consider a two blade folding hunter with twin nail nicks per blade. Don't look as bad as expected. What's the RR number of that one?

HEMI 49 HEMI 49
Top Photo of the canoe pattern:
6th from Left (or second from right, however you wanna look at it/count it ...)
"Zombie 'Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Friends' Nick" Canoe, or "Moon Glow" canoe?

Very nice collection of Rough Riders/Rough Ryders. :D

Your two blade slipjoint folding hunter (bottom photo, center row, second from right) makes me re-consider a two blade folding hunter with twin nail nicks per blade. Don't look as bad as expected. What's the RR number of that one?[/QUOTE

The canoe knife in neon yellow (RR 1514) is a beautiful, hollow ground unit that is great in all aspects..... In fact I chose it to carry last week...... It sharpened up like a razor.....

The hunting knife (RR 1785) is built like Mae West's outhouse...... Primary blade is hollow ground..... I've only test cut paper with it, but it should slice up an elk like it was warm butter.......

Last edited:
I've got one Rough Rider I think and I can't even remember the model - need to pull it out and take a look. I've also got a Frost Cutlery mini congress whittler that for the price point surprised me!

This thread making me want to pick up a few more Rough Riders of various patterns of interest!

I've got one Rough Rider I think and I can't even remember the model - need to pull it out and take a look. I've also got a Frost Cutlery mini congress whittler that for the price point surprised me!

This thread making me want to pick up a few more Rough Riders of various patterns of interest!
You (and your bank account) won't regret it. :)

Back