Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Transplant surgery. This one came to me VERY cheap, shield was missing, found a donor trapper lock, boiled it, popped out the shield and transplanted it into the Barlow. Happy to report both patients are doing great, trapper lock has a new home in the toolbox, and the Barlow is resting comfortably alongside a growing collection of RR Barlows!
View attachment 1468602

I just got a RR Cinnamon Bone Stag stockman with polished Damascus blades. Beautiful and it is real Damascus steel. One major problem - the sheepsfoot blade is set so low I can't access the blade nail nick! Poor design or one-of error?? Fixed it by putting a wad of oil soaked paper under the blade kick. Works fine. Will probably not be a EDC like the other 50+ RRs I have ;) But a really nice looking knife.
Rich

I just got a RR Cinnamon Bone Stag stockman with polished Damascus blades. Beautiful and it is real Damascus steel. One major problem - the sheepsfoot blade is set so low I can't access the blade nail nick! Poor design or one-of error?? Fixed it by putting a wad of oil soaked paper under the blade kick. Works fine. Will probably not be a EDC like the other 50+ RRs I have ;) But a really nice looking knife.
Rich
I have a few small stockmans and a couple Congress patterns that have blades that are hard to get to also, so I don’t think it is a one-off issue. I CAN get to them it’s just an annoyance, but one I can live with for the money. Overall RRs are solid knives no doubt.

Transplant surgery. This one came to me VERY cheap, shield was missing, found a donor trapper lock, boiled it, popped out the shield and transplanted it into the Barlow. Happy to report both patients are doing great, trapper lock has a new home in the toolbox, and the Barlow is resting comfortably alongside a growing collection of RR Barlows!
View attachment 1468602
That looks fantastic! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I really like RR's smooth tobacco bone, especially the darker version as on your Barlow.

- GT

Rich
I agree with Rich that the cinnamon stag bone damascus RRs are appealing knives! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I have a canoe from that series that arrived just over a month ago, and I haven't posted it here yet. So here are a couple of photos in my usual style. I doubt if this is the only knife from the cinnamon stag bone damascus series that I'll buy.
Mark side:
csbd.mark.Vflat.branch.jpg

Pile side:
csbd.pile.Vflat.branch.jpg

Main blade up close:
csbd.mark.main.closeup.jpg

- GT

As long as I'm posting photos, there were 3 other Rough Rider knives that arrived in the same shipment as the cinnamon stag bone damascus canoe.
Tobacco Road canoe with a checkered, copper nail head accented, tobacco leaf shape on each side of the handle that I think looks really good in person:
TRcanoe.mark.Vstand.ecopond.jpg

An All-Stripes sowbelly stockman with striped jigging (I like it) and striped bolsters (meh):
as.sow.mark.Vstand.sky.eco.jpg

An amber jigged bone mini canoe. (My first experience with RRs was a set of 12 amber jigged bone patterns from Amazon. I was hooked when I got them, and I still really like RR amber jigged bone.)
ambermini.pile.closed.leaf.jpg

- GT

That looks fantastic! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I really like RR's smooth tobacco bone, especially the darker version as on your Barlow.

- GT
Thank you, just a drop of super glue, I’ll carry it but it isn’t going to be a hard user, So I think it will stay in place. I like the pics you posted, those knives are real lookers!

I really like RR's smooth tobacco bone
They do a fantastic smooth tobacco bone, here is one i have in a cotton sampler.
bc6WINv.jpg

I just got a RR Cinnamon Bone Stag stockman with polished Damascus blades. Beautiful and it is real Damascus steel.

Cheers for sharing it's real Damascus. For the reasonable price I was assuming it would be fake Damascus etching. I have the Cinnamon Doctor knife on the way since it was one of the cheapest Cinnamon models and I was looking for a single blade Doctor. Might pick up the Canoe or Copperhead if the series is as good as the pics here.

I agree with Rich that the cinnamon stag bone damascus RRs are appealing knives! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I have a canoe from that series that arrived just over a month ago, and I haven't posted it here yet. So here are a couple of photos in my usual style. I doubt if this is the only knife from the cinnamon stag bone damascus series that I'll buy.
Mark side:
View attachment 1468628

Pile side:
View attachment 1468630

Main blade up close:
View attachment 1468631

- GT

I have one of these, excellent knife and damascus

Mark side:
View attachment 1468628

Pile side:
View attachment 1468630

Main blade up close:
View attachment 1468631

- GT
Wow, that a beautiful knife.

Thank you, just a drop of super glue, I’ll carry it but it isn’t going to be a hard user, So I think it will stay in place. I like the pics you posted, those knives are real lookers!
I glued a shield back on a Case pen knife with super glue a year or so ago and its still on. Been carried some too.

Some of these newer RRs are real homeruns. The Black And Blue Stockman, red bone Peanut, Cinnamon Doctor, Artisanwood Lockback are all beautiful value knives. Many of these patterns I would have never tried if I only had the option of spending Case level money on them.

Also got the Reserve Easy Open and Whittler. Fit and finish on them is great, easily worth the increased price. The designs are still not my style, they're very big comparatively to traditionals I like to carry, but the Whittler is growing on me.

FPof8vF.jpg

Last edited:
Back