Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I get a kick out of the fact that they pack a return slip with their knives. :D
(quote) "Most unusual, Captain."
(Mr. Spock, 1st Officer, USS 'ENTERPRISE') (end quote)

They've never included that sheet of paper in any of my orders/packages ... not that I've ever needed it ....

I think they missed the boat by not using more traditional materials.

- exactomundo, sir...!

Given the clever CNC machining they do with some of the RR models, why on earth didn't they use a lovely G10 here with this one..?! :confused:

Perhaps they have pockets and/or teams of production that use certain materials and certain methods.........but it does appear a lost opportunity imho

How is their version of VG 10?
I haven't sharpened it yet so I can't really say. Performance wise, I dunno. It's stainless and the edge has lasted longer than the typical RR 440 so it's definitely better than their standard fare.

Will definitely rub...

That's too bad. Mine has been flawless, but I do agree about the materials they chose. My suspicion is the solid aluminum, linerless handles are very cheap to produce as opposed to steel liners with contoured-to-matched covers.

lDbORHBl.jpg
VfjEtFbl.jpg

Last edited:
(quote) "Most unusual, Captain."
(Mr. Spock, 1st Officer, USS 'ENTERPRISE') (end quote)

They've never included that sheet of paper in any of my orders/packages ... not that I've ever needed it ....
I've bought most of mine at a local sporting goods store that carries them, however the "Reserve" one arm jack nor the Coal Miner half hawk/Loom fixer that arrived today has had a return slip. As you say...interesting o_O
Pics of the half hawk forthcoming, as soon as I can take some decent pics tomorrow. I've already redone the jigging on it and filed a bit of a swedge on the main:thumbsup:

Thats not good[/QUOTE]
No, but it happens sometimes. I’m just going to continue to carry it for as long as possible and then either crazy glue it or maybe have it recovered. I’ve been told to return it under warranty but if they have a replacement (unlikely) I’d be concerned it wouldn’t measure up to this one. I know it’s strange to say, but other than that it’s an excellent knife. Great w&t and sharp.

That’s what it’s called Mark but I doubt it. I’ll try and get a pic inside the crack which might help identify it.
Thanks Alan. I wondered, as I don’t recall seeing Micarta do that before. I’m sure some epoxy would fill the crack and keep it in one piece if you were inclined to keep using it.

I'll have to check my 'micarta' RR knives for that.
Been sanding part of the handle on my 'denim micarta' RRR easyopen -- down about a third of the way, trying to get to the denim, nothing but resin so far.... maybe we should call it 'Pipes micarta' or faux micarta..geez

Back