Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I thought of putting this in the Sheaths subforum, but really, I think it will be of more interest to the folks who frequent this thread as they are Rough Ri(y)der fans. If not, mods can delete with my apologies :oops:

So anyway, with that out of the way....I bought a large Rough Ryder leather slip and its a very nice slip, not even considering its economical price ($4). No idea of how it will hold up over time*, but on initial inspection I can recommend it.

Shown with an RR Equestrian knife and a Case Copperhead.
RRSlip 1.JPG RRSlip 2.JPG RRSlip 3.JPG RRSlip 4.JPG

*I only use a slip very sporadically so it will probably outlast me ;)

I thought of putting this in the Sheaths subforum, but really, I think it will be of more interest to the folks who frequent this thread as they are Rough Ri(y)der fans. If not, mods can delete with my apologies :oops:

So anyway, with that out of the way....I bought a large Rough Ryder leather slip and its a very nice slip, not even considering its economical price ($4). No idea of how it will hold up over time*, but on initial inspection I can recommend it.

Shown with an RR Equestrian knife and a Case Copperhead.
View attachment 1530694 View attachment 1530695 View attachment 1530696 View attachment 1530697

*I only use a slip very sporadically so it will probably outlast me ;)

Appreciate your thoughts on it, and especially the pics! Everywhere sells them by small/med/large, and a "fits up to xxxx knife" .. With no actual measurements, I find it impossible to get an idea of the sizes.

Excited to see that the Upswept Bow Trapper is back in stock, available in both black or red this time. This model sold out months ago before I was able to snag one. Seemed to be quite popular and well received, although part of that was due to the T10 carbon steel description, which seemed to be an error. Youtubers showed the blade didn't patina, and now its listed on the store as stainless (likely 440A). Still can't wait to receive mine.

JfqGv6P.png

Also ordered the VG10 aluminum scale single blade clip due to the feedback of the many happy buyers in this thread. Cheers to you!

PkEIY7z.jpg

Last edited:
I finally found a copperhead pattern with enough blade past the skinner's nail nick to modify. My favorite "bling" option, the brown sawcut bone with cast bolsters, with a short little sheepfoot regrind for the secondary.

fxxY8VQ.jpg
Nicely done :thumbsup:

This model sold out months ago before I was able to snag one. Seemed to be quite popular and well received, although part of that was due to the T10 carbon steel description, which seemed to be an error. Youtubers showed the blade didn't patina, and now its listed on the store as stainless (likely 440A). Still can't wait to receive mine.
I had trouble getting my T10's to patina without resorting to short vinegar soaks.
Is T10 a "semi stainless" steel like D2?

I had trouble getting my T10's to patina without resorting to short vinegar soaks.

The research I did makes T10 basically W1 with a different name, or 1095 with a tad more carbon and silicone in it, with a touch of tungsten for durability. Should patina real fast IMO.

I finally found a copperhead pattern with enough blade past the skinner's nail nick to modify. My favorite "bling" option, the brown sawcut bone with cast bolsters, with a short little sheepfoot regrind for the secondary.

fxxY8VQ.jpg
Nice RR copperhead blade mod, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Here's one YouTube vid where in the comments it's confirmed that the RR Bow Trapper is actually stainless. T10 should patina, and this is not T10.

Given quite a few of these away, not because they were bad knives but because they make great gifts. Anyway these are my remaining rough riders and Colts, my keepers. some have been used more than others, some a great deal, but they're all great knives.
Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

- Mark
They do make nice gifts, and you’ve chosen some nice ones to keep. Nice collection Mark!;):thumbsup:
Todd

Anyone else buy some of the new made in China brown sawcut bone Queen knives? The big mountain knife store now owns the Queen and Queen City brands. Looks like they're made at similar price points to Rough Ryder, possibly at the same factories judging from similarities.

I know there's sour attitude from Queen being sold and production moved to China, but I'm strictly comparing this new Queen to Rough Ryder (or Marbles). I like the plain bolsters without the garish "R" that RR uses, and the Queen shield looks great. The single blade wharncliffe seems like a nice pattern.

Anyone else buy some of the new made in China brown sawcut bone Queen knives? The big mountain knife store now owns the Queen and Queen City brands. Looks like they're made at similar price points to Rough Ryder, possibly at the same factories judging from similarities.

I know there's sour attitude from Queen being sold and production moved to China, but I'm strictly comparing this new Queen to Rough Ryder (or Marbles). I like the plain bolsters without the garish "R" that RR uses, and the Queen shield looks great. The single blade wharncliffe seems like a nice pattern.

Those certainly look like the same blades on the RR canoe. Considering that Hazy Peaks Cutlery Jobs (how's that for skirting around the unmentionable name:rolleyes:) owns both I figure many of the knives will be a rebranding of RR. I refuse to get into the politics of it all and just say, I agree with the plain bolsters and say I think RR are well made overall so these should be no different in that respect.

Thank you for this!
I'd seen them on the 'bay, but steered clear... no telling the quality not knowing who was using the name, where they came from, wasn't going to risk it.

Back