Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Thanks for the "heads up" on these bone Queens; I hadn't been aware of them (or the black pearl models) until I saw your post! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I've known about the "abalone" Queen City knives for a while. Has anyone picked up one of the Queen city canoes? I'll probably try one out sometime, but I'm kind of reluctant to be a "first adopter". I always like to hear opinions from others who've tried the knives before I order one.

- GT
I did pick up a Queen City abalone Canoe. I am very impressed with the quality and the look of the knife.

I did pick up a Queen City abalone Canoe. I am very impressed with the quality and the look of the knife.
Thanks for your input; I'm glad you're impressed with yours! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I see the abalone canoe is available now in 2 sizes, so once I decide whether to go full-size or mini, I think I'll "take the plunge". ;)

- GT

Alright folks, my new Queen barlow arrived yesterday while we were gone, so here are my thoughts. Flush back springs when closed and at half stop, SLIGHTLY proud when open, but you have to be looking for it. Nice pull, I’ll say 6 to 6.5, pins and shield are flush, blades centered, very slight gaps around the bolsters but nothing I would consider worth returning on any production knife, no blade play, bone color is fine, red would be better in my opinion, have several barlow with very similar bone. The bad transition is between the liner and bolster on one side (last picture). The liner and cover are smooth, so a little file work on the bolster will take care of that issue. In my opinion, this knife is worth $20 all day.
5D9E0691-D192-4FA3-ADD6-5943A0037337.jpeg A7B7107B-2B67-4A10-A6F8-431743E3FC07.jpeg 6D6F4F8F-6C69-44D2-BDD9-CE452AA623F5.jpeg D014F9A4-E537-4B8D-97DE-40102AE0425F.jpeg 5C13FE8A-2868-4128-A1DC-299ADDF093FE.jpeg 9AE0ED40-770D-407D-8700-58DDA6F8E174.jpeg

Looks so much better without an "R" bolster. You're making me indecisive between the Barlow and Canoe, considering I own a handful of Barlows and no Canoes.
I like to collect the Barlows,
Higher end ones and inexpensive ones. Used to have quite a few canoes as well, moved a lot of them along, probably can’t go wrong with either.:thumbsup:

I do as well and you’ve sold me. I already have a yellow one and it’s a solid barlow, but there’s just something about saw cut bone that gets my blood pressure up. :)
Cool, hope you get a nice one and are pleased with it. Post pictures!;):thumbsup:
Todd

My problem with them is the design. A Barlow is supposed to be an inexpensive working man's knife, and yet they put a shield on it and every type of bling imaginable on the blade, with cut swedges (even on the pen!) and match strike pulls. KISS!

My problem with them is the design. A Barlow is supposed to be an inexpensive working man's knife, and yet they put a shield on it and every type of bling imaginable on the blade, with cut swedges (even on the pen!) and match strike pulls. KISS!

Technically couldn't that be said of almost every knife pattern in existence, by most every maker?

They were all simply tools once upon a time.

Alright folks, my new Queen barlow arrived yesterday while we were gone, so here are my thoughts. Flush back springs when closed and at half stop, SLIGHTLY proud when open, but you have to be looking for it. Nice pull, I’ll say 6 to 6.5, pins and shield are flush, blades centered, very slight gaps around the bolsters but nothing I would consider worth returning on any production knife, no blade play, bone color is fine, red would be better in my opinion, have several barlow with very similar bone. The bad transition is between the liner and bolster on one side (last picture). The liner and cover are smooth, so a little file work on the bolster will take care of that issue. In my opinion, this knife is worth $20 all day.
View attachment 1539276 View attachment 1539277 View attachment 1539280 View attachment 1539278 View attachment 1539279 View attachment 1539281

Thats almost turned my head

enought to hope the 'Queen' range expands to a single blade slimline trapper

with the same setup

This arrived today and pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish, sharp as well, not a polished type edge but a toothy one that cuts aggressively which works great.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

100% my fav knife from my previous order of RR's. Low expectations and very impressed. Inexpensive, surprisingly nice jigging feel, and you're right it has a great toothy sharp VG10 blade. I got the green and feel like I need a blue as well...

Another YouTube vid of the new imported Queen knives that are very similar to RR, this time the Wharcliffe. I'm a big fan of the shield and bolster designs over RR.

View attachment 1539276 View attachment 1539277 View attachment 1539280 View attachment 1539278 View attachment 1539279 View attachment 1539281

Looks great - not a big fan of clip blades on barlows but the fit and finish has me looking at their Doctors knife

Looks great - not a big fan of clip blades on barlows but the fit and finish has me looking at their Doctors knife

I love these knives but just FYI, if the Queens are like the RR's, the Doctor's pattern commonly has blade rap. Its not a deal breaker and will go away after a couple sharpenings. For RR, the Doctor and the Peanut patterns seem to have this issue often, the Doctor being mentioned several times for such in this thread (I own one as well) and the Peanut I know firsthand from owning four, each with slight blade rap.

Miraculously, I was able to get two of the blue denim micarta work knives (2181) off the big auction site today. The seller had a dozen or so and I was really surprised to see them appear in a group after being gone for so long. I wonder if they are seconds? Does Rough Rider even have official seconds? It just seems weird for a group of these to appear on a single vendor out of nowhere considering how popular and sold out they have been. I have been watching for them for months now. I guess I will find out when they arrive.

Last edited:
Back