Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I love these knives but just FYI, if the Queens are like the RR's, the Doctor's pattern commonly has blade rap. Its not a deal breaker and will go away after a couple sharpenings. For RR, the Doctor and the Peanut patterns seem to have this issue often, the Doctor being mentioned several times for such in this thread (I own one as well) and the Peanut I know firsthand from owning four, each with slight blade rap.

Thanks it'll be a user so it shouldn't be a problem for long but I can alway add a strip of leather in the blade well

For the record, put me down as another big fan of the smooth tobacco bone Outdoorsman series Rough Ri(y)ders. :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Canoe:
tobacco.mark.closed.RRcap.jpg

Canittler:
tbone.canittler.mark.main.jpg

Sowbelly stockman:
tobacco.sow.mark.Vclip.RLT.jpg

Halfhawk:
halfhawk2.mark.open.jpg

I also have an improved muskrat in smooth tobacco bone, but it's the lighter-colored version (more yellow/golden than the rich brown of the preceding knives) and it has a bollocks shield instead of the acorn shield, so I'm not sure if it was part of the Outdoorsman series:
imp.musk.mark.closed.jpg

- GT

For the record, put me down as another big fan of the smooth tobacco bone Outdoorsman series Rough Ri(y)ders. :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Canoe:
View attachment 1543647

Canittler:
View attachment 1543648

Sowbelly stockman:
View attachment 1543652

Halfhawk:
View attachment 1543653

I also have an improved muskrat in smooth tobacco bone, but it's the lighter-colored version (more yellow/golden than the rich brown of the preceding knives) and it has a bollocks shield instead of the acorn shield, so I'm not sure if it was part of the Outdoorsman series:
View attachment 1543654

- GT

My goodness, how beautiful these RRs look without giant "R" marked slanted bolsters and with a better shield too.

First foray into RR and maybe I shouldn't have tried an elephant toe, lol, since its not a pattern I'm even familiar with, but I couldn't resist the ridiculousness of this.
Its shockingly decent. Main blade is a little gritty, but not bad, and F&F is fine for the price point. I don't hate the bolsters, though I'd be happier if they didn't have that massive R, but the shield is a miss with the Rough Rider text in it.

I don't think I'll ever carry this, its too large, but I guess that saves me chasing down a GEC in this size and blowing 20 times the money, lol.
I'd like to eventually find a single smaller blade sunfish with an easy open down the line to try instead.

In terms of RR, I'm more interested in the Reserve line if anyone can point me in that direction, looking for things the size of a 15 pattern maybe and easy open.

This think might get dyed purple just for the heck of it.
Wn7hDsy.jpg

rB6kun7.jpg

Got around to making a sheath for my new Rough Ryder and it makes it much handier to access now. The knife has been a real surprise at how well it handles and cuts. The sheath is something that I wouldn't recommend having made as the cost to make far outweighs the cost of the knife, lucky for me I didn't pay myself :) but I am sure there are other options that will be just as helpful to carry this. I'm tempted to get the green version as well.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

That Indian embossing is pretty old, I picked it up from a friend that was a leathersmith and at the time when he had it, he said it was quite old and that was many moons ago. I've not seen one like it for sale any place, he didn't use it and agreed to sell it to me.

Here's a closeup of the embossing during work in process

G2

Last edited:
First foray into RR and maybe I shouldn't have tried an elephant toe, lol, since its not a pattern I'm even familiar with, but I couldn't resist the ridiculousness of this.
Its shockingly decent. Main blade is a little gritty, but not bad, and F&F is fine for the price point. I don't hate the bolsters, though I'd be happier if they didn't have that massive R, but the shield is a miss with the Rough Rider text in it.

I sort of like these also for how ridiculous they are. Here are few for comparison.

6IAv4nR.jpg

G2

Nice job on the sheath. May I ask what weight leather you used there? And that indian stamp is cool. I have never seen one like that.

Thanks the leather is from Weaver Leather and it is 7/8 ounce fairly heavy stuff for this type of work
G2

I don't think I'll ever carry this, its too large, but I guess that saves me chasing down a GEC in this size and blowing 20 times the money, lol.
I'd like to eventually find a single smaller blade sunfish with an easy open down the line to try instead.
That is a very nice thing about these knives; you can try out a pattern to see if it's something you would enjoy before spending the big bucks.
Thanks; I'm not real fond of the huge "R" on the bolsters of recent Rough Ryders, but I don't hate them! :)

- GT
Same here.
I don't really mind the matchstrike pulls either, though I have started to wonder if they are somehow less expensive to stamp or machine than the plain ones, since RR insists on using them so much.

I sort of like these also for how ridiculous they are. Here are few for comparison.

6IAv4nR.jpg
That white bone one looks like a nice big canvas to me. :)

I haven't carried my Dogbone Jack in a long time, and pulled it out of the drawer for Thrifty Thursday. Or maybe Random Tuesday, or Old Friends Friday...
pujHTws.jpg

Thanks that’s not too bad another one to think about
G2

Back