Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Here's a Rough Rider medium trapper that arrived a week ago, a generous gift from sunknife sunknife . :thumbsup::cool::)
Greg said he dyed the covers that had originally been orange, and ended up with this darker hue that I really like. You may not see it in my photos, but my favorite part of the dye job is the very dark color on the edges of the bone.
dyeMT.mark.closed.back.sill.jpg

dyeMT.pile.2open.onbutt.sill.jpg

Thanks again, Greg! :):thumbsup:

- GT

Here's a Rough Rider medium trapper that arrived a week ago, a generous gift from sunknife sunknife . :thumbsup::cool::)
Greg said he dyed the covers that had originally been orange, and ended up with this darker hue that I really like. You may not see it in my photos, but my favorite part of the dye job is the very dark color on the edges of the bone.
View attachment 1553863

View attachment 1553864

- GT
That second picture really shows what you are talking about Gary. Very cool! Well done Greg.:thumbsup:

Just pulled this from the mailbox. Thin, light and slicey.
w8DIBgW.jpg

ECxR8Eq.jpg

MLXs8PB.jpg

View attachment 1553863

View attachment 1553864

- GT

You're welcome, Gary. I hope you enjoy it. :thumbsup:
The cool thing about these RR's is that they are inexpensive so it gives me an opportunity to play/experiment with dyeing bone, and if it doesn't work out so well I didn't ruin an expensive knife.
Here is another orange bone that I dyed with some Rit brown. I carried this one to work today, large stockman with fit and finish that is near perfect IMO.
Also has smooth as silk blade action and no blade rub as of yet.

View attachment 1554267 View attachment 1554268

The cool thing about these RR's is that they are inexpensive so it gives me an opportunity to play/experiment with dyeing bone, and if it doesn't work out so well I didn't ruin an expensive knife.
Here is another orange bone that I dyed with some Rit brown. I carried this one to work today, large stockman with fit and finish that is near perfect IMO.

Y:eek:WZA, that stockman is a looker, Greg! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The dye job is superb, and I'm a huge fan of sunk joints and a low-riding sheepsfoot on a stockman. In fact that's what I'd call a "Girl From Ipanema" stockman: tall and tan and young and lovely!! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

- GT

Y:eek:WZA, that stockman is a looker, Greg! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The dye job is superb, and I'm a huge fan of sunk joints and a low-riding sheepsfoot on a stockman. In fact that's what I'd call a "Girl From Ipanema" stockman: tall and tan and young and lovely!! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

- GT
Jazzy, GT. I like it.:thumbsup:

Just pulled this from the mailbox. Thin, light and slicey.
w8DIBgW.jpg

ECxR8Eq.jpg

MLXs8PB.jpg

Gorgeous specimen. I have the Queen Canoe and Wharncliffe on the way, and regret not also buying the Stockman, Doctor, and Barlow. Every pattern in this brown sawcut series looks fantastic. (Also includes Trapper and Peanut)

How would I dye a RR green (ugh) lockback Workman stockman?
What would turn ugly green to nice brown?
Never dyed anything but wood before. Thanks for suggestions

That brown-over-orange is a fantastic color. I noticed that many folks use the Rit water dyes doing this. Have you by any chance tried the Fiebings oil based leather dyes on bone handles?

That brown-over-orange is a fantastic color. I noticed that many folks use the Rit water dyes doing this. Have you by any chance tried the Fiebings oil based leather dyes on bone handles?

Thanks. Yes I've tried Fiebings by just wiping it or brushing it on and then wiping off excess but it always seems to wear off with time for me. The RIT penetrates and holds in my experience. With the RIT I'm simmering the knife in a pot of water on the stove for about 15 minutes before submerging it in the dye. I think that softens the bone and allows the dye to penetrate. With the leather dye I've only tried applying it directly to the bone after wiping scales with alcohol.
I've used a ton of that oil dye on wood and leather projects though and it does amazing there.

Back