Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Here is a pattern I am very fond of, the large toothpick. Rough Rider has only done a handful of these for some reason - I don't know why. Here are the four I have (I think I am only missing the Stoneworx and Stroke of Luck versions). From top to bottom its the High Plains (rr2052), Rifleman (rr711), Sawcut Bone (rr526), and Longrifle (rr731). Fit and finish on all these is really good but I think the sawcut bone is my favorite. I keep one in a custom slip made just for Large Toothpicks in the center console of my truck. The dimensions are almost identical to the Queen/Northwoods versions I have.

oQ3LN46.jpg

Hi all,

I read on another thread that Rough Rider is putting out some quality stuff at their low price points.

I was wondering which ones would these be? I looked around at SMKW and didn't really see anything except maybe the t10 carbon steel series..im actually not sure if t10 is good or not

Check their site and search "rough ryder reserve" also rough ryder vg10 and rough ryder D2.
They changed the name from "rider" to "Ryder" for some reason a while back.

They changed the name from "rider" to "Ryder" for some reason a while back.

I remember reading a semi official announcement somewhere, maybe on the now defunct roughrider .com
But anyway, it was legal reasons; Basically someone was suing/threatening to sue them over the "Rough Riders" Teddy Roosevelt, western history theme/name... apparently someone "owns" that concept already.

Hi all,

I read on another thread that Rough Rider is putting out some quality stuff at their low price points.

I was wondering which ones would these be? I looked around at SMKW and didn't really see anything except maybe the t10 carbon steel series..im actually not sure if t10 is good or not
This thread will show you what you're looking for. :)

Here is my collection of sub three in RRs, all very well made, fun to fiddle with. Anyone else collect these?
View attachment 1556711
I had one of the single bolster tortiose mini trappers, until my truck's poltergeist "borrowed" it. One of only two that she never gave back. :(
The only sub 3.125 ~ 3.250 inch I've ever liked enough to carry and use. ("normally" the smallest I will carry and use is a two blade Barlow.)

Last edited:
I really don’t carry them much if at all, I just take one out every once in a while, or all of them like today and fiddle around with them while I’m having a cigar or a coffee. Amazed at their quality. The poltergeist around here usually “borrows” my glasses!😄

Never seen any of these before. Any names for these patterns to help search?
I do not recognize most of his knives, but I do know that the bottom red tiny knife is a Canoe Splitback Whittler, rr311. There is also an orange version (rr383) and one in pink watermelon (rr836). Tobias Gibson has a nice webpage discussing these Rough Rider "canittlers". He says these are 2.25" long.

You can find some really nice knives for under $20. Even before the Reserve series, Rough R(y)der had been raising their game.

Never seen any of these before. Any names for these patterns to help search?
Sure, I’m getting ready for work this morning, I will post as many references numbers as I have for them later today or maybe tomorrow. The number given by Rhinofly for the little whittler is correct, RR311. Another one is RR1028 from the Exploring Freedom series (1st column 3rd knife down).

Sure, I’m getting ready for work this morning, I will post as many references numbers as I have for them later today or maybe tomorrow. The number given by Rhinofly for the little whittler is correct, RR311. Another one is RR1028 from the Exploring Freedom series (1st column 3rd knife down).

That's good enough thanks to get the pattern names and start finding the various cover variations. Cheers

Except technically the new/small thread was about the Premium line, so it should have been merged with THAT thread, not this one.
??? huh??? These came out years before the Reserve/Premium line. They're "just" regular ol' Rough Rider or Rough Ryder depending on how long ago they were made.
I had the single bolster Tortiose Trapper in 2015 or 2016. I don't recall the exact price I paid, but it was under $7. off the big river site.

Back